Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
What to do if you're not losing: Noseclips

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: What to do if you're not losing: Noseclips  (Read 96940 times)

saggi girl

Re: What to do if you're not losing: Noseclips
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2006, 10:11:22 AM »

Ha!  It's brilliant!  Thank you, Seth.

What I really love about SLD, including this latest tweak, is that it is so refreshingly low-tech.  Oil, sugar, measuring spoon, noseclips.  Who needs fancy expensive diet plans?  Just take a trip to Target and you can purchase everything you need, for very little money.

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2006, 10:14:49 AM »

thanks, saggi girl. in the Stone Age everything was very low cost -- everyone was super poor. And yet they had everything they needed to function well. So it should be possible again.

splitbamboo

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2006, 10:20:40 AM »

We have these things hanging around our house--I think they call them "clothes pins" :wink:.

The kids love to attach them to their noses and I just hate finding them around the house (they're usually in three pieces...)

This would be even cheaper than the swim nose clips. And since I don't know anyone who puts their laundry on a line any more, a new use for an old item.

patsi

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2006, 10:57:48 AM »

And since I don't know anyone who puts their laundry on a line any more

Splitbambo now you do I hang up sheets and pj's can't beat the fresh clean smell.
patsi

TalkingRat

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2006, 12:03:04 PM »

And people already think the diet is crazy!  Just wait until hundreds of us are out there eating with nose clips on!

Now they'll say it works because we can't breathe while we eat, so we eat less.   :D

94S10 (a.k.a. Truckman)

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2006, 12:23:37 PM »

OK...now it's getting downright silly here.

I'm still having trouble understanding/believing how 200 flavorless calories are not digested and absorbed as 200 calories whether or not I can either taste them or smell them. So if smell is taken out of the overall digestion process the stomach and intestines somehow no longer work? I always thought that digestion was an autonomic process. What am I missing here?

paulkimelman

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2006, 12:33:25 PM »

94S10 , I do not believe anyone is saying you do not digest and absorb the calories. Seth's theory is that when your body can connect a specific flavor to a bunch of calories, it craves more of those (or more of any). The idea is that during periods of feast or famine, the feast is when the food available is good tasting and so triggers us to stock up on fat to prepare for the famine time (when the food is scarce and probably not tasty or high calorie).

akhdar

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2006, 12:37:27 PM »

In any case, I wonder if food smells at the same time as consuming flavorless oil is causing problems for some people? If you are taking your oil while a coworker has some aromatic food like Chinese wafting your way, I wonder if this messes up the flavorless effect? Could be a new warning to give to people - take your oil or SW away from food smells.

Perhaps this is a reason for which alarm SLD is working well for many.

But....if this theory were true, wouldn't all ansomic people be thin? Is this true?

Got it. One second (from http://www.senseofsmell.org/feature/whitepaper/whitepaper_print.html):

Nutritional implications of olfactory dysfunction
An important question in this context in terms of the consequences of olfaction dysfunction relates to the intake of foods. Available data indicates that there is no simple answer. For example, Ferris and Duffy 77 report that over 70% of their sample (n=230) indicated that food enjoyment decreased with olfactory loss (see also 11, 76). However, the degree of loss was not directly correlated to loss of food enjoyment. Age appeared to be a factor, as younger subjects with olfactory loss indicated decreased enjoyment of food, which was not seen that often in older subjects, especially when the olfactory loss had been noted for more than three years. However, work by Mattes (for review see 85) indicates that anosmic patients do not experience systematic problems in relation to their food intake; both weight loss and gain of weight are reported.

Loss of weight appears to be particularly frequent in patients with qualitative olfactory dysfunction 86. These patients have also been shown to exhibit specific dislikes towards certain foods 9. In contrast, many anosmic patients may even report an increase in body weight which is often attributed to a "gustatory" reward in the form of a sweet desert following a dull and unexciting meal 9. Thus, while olfactory loss severely decreases enjoyment of foods, in general it does not appear to have a major effect on overall food intake, although subtle differences are reported. For example, in elderly women olfactory loss has been reported 87 to be associated with a lower preference for certain nutritious foods, while higher amounts of sweets and fats were eaten. This did not translate into a change of body mass index or energy intake. On the other hand, interventions aimed at the amplification and enhancement of foods have been reported to be beneficial in terms of both improvement of nutrient quality 88 or increase in caloric consumption 89, 90 (for review see 91).

What do you think?

Akh.

paulkimelman

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2006, 12:58:52 PM »

I note that a few people on this board have said that temporary sense of smell disruption (olfaction dysfunction) has caused weight gain. I also note a British study I partially cited the other day (I cannot find the actual study). The research you cited is after prolonged loss, so this may be a factor. My guess (for what it is worth) is that if you cannot smell for short periods, you will tend towards mixed sweet (think lemonade: sweet and sour) and mixed umami (meat and fat with sauces which are sweet, sour, bitter, salty, or some combinations) as those would be familiar and most pleasant and perhaps habit will keep you eating too much. If you cannot smell for a long period, you would learn to adjust. So, because the research cited does not do a breakdown analysis based on time period, they have glommed all the data together.

As to Seth's technique, it is not clear as there has not been any information on what the test volunteers were eating when doing this, and how it differed from their prior techniques. I think Seth suggested using this for food you do not really care about, so you can save the nice taste/smell for the foods you love. If the volunteers followed this, it may explain the difference. I also note one other interesting detail. If you persistently cannot smell (temp or permanent), you cannot smell food cooking, other people's food, etc. If you just use nose clips for eating, you still enjoy all that smell before/after. Not sure how it fits in at all, but a possibly significant difference.

Marianna

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2006, 01:05:41 PM »

Seth--what do you think of eating only part of a meal with noseclips, a la partial crazy spicing???  Like eating the first few bites of dinner so as to feel enjoyment (the first few bites are the best anyhoo) and then donning noseclip to finish taking in flavourless  calories--do you think that would work??

Marianna

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2006, 01:06:22 PM »

wait--I guess that would violate the flavourless window idea huh

Jenn

• **~Feeling more ZEN every day~**
    • come listen to some of our tunes on myspace
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2006, 01:18:29 PM »

Doesn't eating without the pleasure of taste feel totally sad ? 
  I think I would rather be 20 LBS overweight and taste my food than to consume several hundred calories per day tasteless.  What would I decide to eat in a tasteless manner, my Ice cream, Broccoli, or Chicken?  Maybe chips ?

The way I see it is if a couple of TBS of oil per day (standard SLD)  doesn't work after a real and decent effort of several months, then it would be sad to resort to this.  We all wish to be slimmer, but if it takes not tasting much of our food.....I don't know, I think it would remove one of the basic pleasures of life.

Not to be offensive, but if sex caused us to possibly gain weight, would we all abstain?  Or invent some way of not feeling the pleasure of it?  I don't think so.  Well, in my opinion,  great tasting food is right up there with sex and wine.

Jenn
Drinking anything that feels good at the moment, not worrying about my body and feeling very, very good about that!
I am at a healthy weight and get slimmer/healthier every day!

splitbamboo

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2006, 01:29:22 PM »

Doesn't eating without the pleasure of taste feel totally sad ? 

I'd do it in the short term if it got me to a point where I was happy with my weight. Definitely not a long term lifestyle thing...

imsovain

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2006, 01:38:41 PM »

I tried the noseclips today with cod liver oil.  Yum!

Actually, the oil is peach flavored.  I didn't taste the cod liver oil at all at first.  Then I tried washing out my mouth with water, and I noted an odd, very slight pulling sensation on the inside of my ears when I swallowed water.  Satisfied that I had rinsed the oil away, I took the noseclips off, and instantly recognized a faint whiff of peach flavor.  Oh well.  So 2 questions.

1) Is it a bad thing to swallow with noseclips on (perhaps in the long term on your ear bones or something)?

2) Is there a better way to wash out the taste of an oil?   I did this on cod liver oil, but I'd also like to try it on extra VIRGIN olive oil.

Marianna

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2006, 01:41:38 PM »

try a salt water rinse following your oil--I bet that will work--
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18