Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
What to do if you're not losing: Noseclips

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: What to do if you're not losing: Noseclips  (Read 95914 times)

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
What to do if you're not losing: Noseclips
« on: July 25, 2006, 08:03:01 PM »

yes, noseclips -- the noseclips that swimmers wear. (Speedo noseclips cost $3-$5.) Eat regular food wearing noseclips. This supplies "SLD calories" as effectively as eloo or sugar water (or crazy spicing or Beneke balls), to judge by the small amount of experience so far.

The more SLD calories you eat, the more your appetite will be suppressed and the more weight you will lose, I am sure. The book advises getting SLD calories from flavorless oil & sugar water. But there are other ways: Beneke's method, for example. And crazy spicing. And foods with completely new flavors.  The noseclip way is very easy (any food can be used) and unlimited (you can consume as many calories/day this way as you like).

So far three people have tried it for at least a week. All three continued to take oil as before and did the noseclips in addition. They ate on the order of 300 calories/day with the noseclips on. All three have reported much stronger appetite suppression.

Details: it takes a tiny amount of getting used to -- chewing and swallowing with your nose clipped. After you finish eating, rinse your mouth with water and wait a few minutes before taking the clips off, to allow the flavors to dissipate. It is probably best to do with food you don't especially like, so that there is no feeling of loss.

Just to be explicit: I think 300 calorie of food eaten wearing noseclips will be just as appetite-suppressing  and craving-eliminating and weight-loss-causing as 300 calories of eloo or 300 calories of sugar water.

When people find that the diet is not working for them or is working very slowly, I believe that in most cases they just need a larger dose of SLD calories to make it work. I find it very hard to believe that people for whom the diet hasn't been working have fundamentally different weight control systems from the rest of us. For example, if it doesn't work when you take in 300 SLD calories/day, the diet may work much better when you take in 600 SLD calories/day.

If you try this method you should continue the diet as usual and add this in addition to the oil or sugar water -- not in place of it , unless the oil or sugar water was causing health problems. I believe that many of the oils that people are using for SLD are beneficial apart from weight loss -- sleep and skin improvement, for example. You wouldn't want to lose those benefits.

You can also use noseclips to get rid of the flavor of toothbrushing and similar activities that might violate the 2-hour flavorfree window.

This idea is due to Gary Skaleski. He thought of it and tried it and has found that it has worked very well. He had lost weight via oil but then found his appetite coming back strongly in the evenings.

klwil3

• Kay
Re: What to do if you're not losing: Noseclips
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 08:15:16 PM »

There another post out there where a few of us were talking about eating without the sense of smell.  I lost mine for a year or two with severe allergies.  Another member and I were talking about increased appetite and gaining without the taste.  I found it was not fun, and I didn't much enjoy eating when I couldn't taste, but I struggled more and gained during those times.  I liken it to eating while working or in front of the TV.  Eating without tasting is so mindless that you could eat an entire bag or chips without noticing.

I'm wondering how long the noseclips will work.  I know the sense of smell plays strongly in how good things taste to us, consciously, but the sense of taste to the brain comes through saliva I thought.  It seems like while you can't get your endorphins from good food, the body still knows what it is if it's familiar.  I think the noseclips help curb appetite because it takes some joy out of eating, but I doubt it would lower your set point.

I of course could be wrong, and I wondered about arguing with "the Man", but I thought it's worth thinking about.

The saliva thing made me also wonder if the body, when it consumes enough tasteless calories, could develop a tasteless/calorie association?  It seems like you'd want to make sure you get enough water a day to make sure that doesn't happen...but I feel I'm really reaching here. ;)

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 08:18:04 PM »

I hope experience will answer these questions.

saartje

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 08:19:07 PM »

Perhaps this is a good place for me to repeat a question I posed in another thread.  Is milk considered a bland food, it doesn't have much taste.  I curbed my appetite last night when I was feeling quite hungry by drinking half a glass of milk.  Please adivse.
Thanks!
 :?
Saartje

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 08:20:58 PM »

yes, maybe it is a bland food.

saartje

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 08:25:26 PM »

Thanks for getting back to me Seth, that's quite an honor.  OK, I think I'll experiment with the milk.  I take three tablespoons of oil during the night as suggested by someone else, mixed in a glass of water which I drink a bit at a time when I get up during the night.  I will take the milk in addition to the oil.  I also drink sugar water (1 tbs in a cup of water) during the day while I'm at work.  I'll keep you posted if you like.
 :wink
Saartje

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 08:36:45 PM »

the power of bland food is weak. I wouldn't count on it for much. For example maybe 100 calories of milk has the same effect as 20 calories of flavorless oil.

terio

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 08:43:02 PM »

And people already think the diet is crazy!  Just wait until hundreds of us are out there eating with nose clips on!

saartje

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 09:00:53 PM »

the power of bland food is weak. I wouldn't count on it for much. For example maybe 100 calories of milk has the same effect as 20 calories of flavorless oil.

I was thinking more in terms of getting a protein and curbing my appetite at the same time.  So, 3 tablespoons of oil, 1 or 2 tablespoons of sugar in water, plus milk during the day.  It occurs to me that I was skinny the first 25 years of my life, 5'5" - 105 lbs at the age of 25, and I drank a lot of milk.  I gradually gained weight over the years and now at 61 I weigh 168 pounds. Like I said, I'll try to keep everyone posted.

Saartje

chrianna

• this is a test, this is only a test
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 12:49:43 AM »

And people already think the diet is crazy!  Just wait until hundreds of us are out there eating with nose clips on!

i have to admit i laughed out loud at seth's noseclips post.  but in my mind i was trying to figure out the closest store to me selling noseclips and if its open at this hour.

DH will think i've really gone off the deep end if he watches me eating dinner with noseclip on.

Ann H

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 01:53:34 AM »

Excellent idea, Seth, and thanks for experimenting on it already! Should help the supertasters immensely--if nothing else, one could use noseclips with their oil dose. This may make virgin coconut oil suddenly viable again. Heck, even virgin olive oil--goodbye refined stuff! :) And it turns anything into Beneke mush, doesn't it? Great.

Now, can you check out exercise and set point? I think it's no good to exercise intensively while trying to lose weight. I suspect that exercise RAISES your set point (I'll post on this separately) and that's why the exercising folk can never get their weight to "fall off". They MIGHT put themselves in a calorie-negative situation and force a bit of weight off (or never even manage this), but since the exercise has raised their set point--and keeps it high--the SLD-generated easy and natural weight loss simply will not happen.

If I'm right on this, then those blasted fitness trainers and everybody deserve some good fist-shaking... (And if I'm wrong, oh well. :) It was a neat theory and worth thinking through. )

Can you check that out? I'll start a new discussion on this as well. I'll post my wee bits of "evidence" there.

Ann H

Den

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 02:07:51 AM »

Just wondered if drinking say 100 cals of milk with the noseclip on (approx 300ml of skimmed would be 100 cals), wouldn't that turn milk from a bland food into a flavourless protein drink and then the 100 cals would count as 100 flavourless calories rather than 20 as stated above - or am I misunderstanding this.

If this would work it would be brilliant for me, as I can't take the oil last thing at night, it makes me feel sick if I lie down straight away afterwards. But I could easily have a drink of milk before bed (obviously with my noseclip on - very attractive!!!!) :lol:

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 05:49:23 AM »

yes, drinking milk with noseclips on should turn milk from bland to flavorless.

patsi

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2006, 08:17:29 AM »

What a mental image  :lol:
patsi

paulkimelman

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2006, 09:58:38 AM »

Since it is working for at least 3 people, it seems a valid approach (and yes, smell in combination with activity on your tastebuds is how we taste in a more refined way). But, I thought that food smells can also go up the back way to your sinuses (through the ostium I think it is called - Anatomy not my strong suit)? Maybe the strength of the smell is too small to matter? I wonder if some can smell better this way than others.

In any case, I wonder if food smells at the same time as consuming flavorless oil is causing problems for some people? If you are taking your oil while a coworker has some aromatic food like Chinese wafting your way, I wonder if this messes up the flavorless effect? Could be a new warning to give to people - take your oil or SW away from food smells.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18