Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
What to do if you're not losing: Crazy Spicing 2.0

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: What to do if you're not losing: Crazy Spicing 2.0  (Read 61244 times)

andrea84

Re: What to do if you're not losing: Crazy Spicing 2.0
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2006, 05:10:15 PM »

i never knew powdered milk was good for protein!

-Re-Started Oct. 30, 2008

falconcy

« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2006, 06:01:17 PM »

It contains protein and carbs, like most of the protein powders tend to. Tis a case of reading the label. That said, it's a lot cheaper than protein powder.

SlipperySlope

• Rockin'
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2006, 04:03:01 AM »

Hi,

I've read the thread and I think the idea works like this:

• Replace some of your standard calories with SLD Calories
  • Create SLD calories by making a "smoothie"
  • Make the smoothy "spicy"
  • Use a differently wacky spice mix each and every time

I have some questions, maybe someone will be kind enough to answer them...

1) What is a "half and half"
2) What is a "smoothie"
3) Please confirm: we are talking about replacing standard calories with spicy SLD calories, not about additional calories.

Sorry if the questions sound odd, but I am not from North America and where I am, we don't have these nouns.
Thx!

Since 2006-Nov-07, last updated 2006-Nov-19

frenata

• mustela frenata
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2006, 05:54:30 AM »

I have some questions, maybe someone will be kind enough to answer them...

1) What is a "half and half"
2) What is a "smoothie"
3) Please confirm: we are talking about replacing standard calories with spicy SLD calories, not about additional calories.

Sorry if the questions sound odd, but I am not from North America and where I am, we don't have these nouns.
Thx!

Half and half = half cream, half milk
Smoothie = any blended drink

As for question three, the effect is that you replace calories, but if your SLD is working right, you don't make an effort to do it. When this diet is working properly, you simply DO NOT WANT food. In theory, the more SLD calories you get, the less food you want. In practice, most of us don't achieve perfect SLD all the time, but it's still the easiest diet on the face of the earth.

The smoothies and the spicing are options. They help. They speed things up a little. You don't have to do them. And there are two ways to make them SLD calories: by spicing them strangely, or by drinking them with your nose pinched shut (those nose clips that swimmers wear are the best way). You can also spice and noseclip regular food. The higher percentage of your calories, the more appetite suppression you'll get.

Welcome. We have many participants who aren't native English speakers, so don't be shy about asking questions.
Running weight tally:

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2006, 06:16:26 AM »

where are you from, SlipperySlope (great id!) and how did you learn about SLD?

SlipperySlope

• Rockin'
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2006, 06:52:59 AM »

Thanks for the rapid answers!

As for question three, the effect is that you replace calories, but if your SLD is working right, you don't make an effort to do it. When this diet is working properly, you simply DO NOT WANT food. In theory, the more SLD calories you get, the less food you want.

I see. I think I'm a little disappointed, because what you are saying is in effect:

a) Weight loss occurs through calorie reduction (just like other diets)
b) Calorie reduction occurs through appetite suppression
c) Appetite suppression occurs through SLD (perhaps something to do with systemic hormone signalling based on abundance of blood sugar without the other triggers - such as taste or perhaps some hormones produced in the stomach during digestion).

Oh well, maybe the set-point aspect of the theory is novel and functional, so I'll try it!

Quote from: Seth Roberts
where are you from, SlipperySlope (great id!) and how did you learn about SLD?

Hi, am from the UK but I live in Germany. I heard about SLD through the 2nd ed. of Freakonomics, and then Googled your name to get here.
I like how the evidence suggests that the diet works, I am not convinced by the taste / set-point association just yet though ;)

mamenie

« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2006, 10:41:43 AM »

Half and half = half cream, half milk
And there are two ways to make them SLD calories: by spicing them strangely, or by drinking them with your nose pinched shut (those nose clips that swimmers wear are the best way). You can also spice and noseclip regular food. The higher percentage of your calories, the more appetite suppression you'll get.

Does anybody know which works better, crazy spicing or noseclipping, or is it individual ?

frenata

• mustela frenata
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2006, 10:51:59 AM »

I see. I think I'm a little disappointed, because what you are saying is in effect:

a) Weight loss occurs through calorie reduction (just like other diets)
b) Calorie reduction occurs through appetite suppression
c) Appetite suppression occurs through SLD (perhaps something to do with systemic hormone signalling based on abundance of blood sugar without the other triggers - such as taste or perhaps some hormones produced in the stomach during digestion).

Oh well, maybe the set-point aspect of the theory is novel and functional, so I'll try it!

Yep, that's basically it. I'm mystified why you find that disappointing, though. I mean, it would be disappointing if it didn't actually work, but it works eerily well for many people.

In fact, if you get it strongly enough, it totally reaches in and changes what you like to eat. It changes how big a plate of food looks like to you. It gives you the physical sensation of being full to the point of a bit urpee, when you haven't eaten much (or sometimes anything at all). It's downright spooky.

And I beg your pardon -- I assumed you meant you weren't a native English speaker. I didn't mean to say you write like a furriner or anything  :)
Running weight tally:

SlipperySlope

• Rockin'
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2006, 11:32:51 AM »

Yep, that's basically it. I'm mystified why you find that disappointing, though. I mean, it would be disappointing if it didn't actually work, but it works eerily well for many people.

In fact, if you get it strongly enough, it totally reaches in and changes what you like to eat. It changes how big a plate of food looks like to you. It gives you the physical sensation of being full to the point of a bit urpee, when you haven't eaten much (or sometimes anything at all). It's downright spooky.

Well, I was disappointed, but now I've read Seth's papers and I no longer am. Initially, I thought this was just a fancy way to do AS - and it is. It is just a much better way of doing it than I expected - Seth seems to have cleared up a mystery.

The real thing about SLD is not oil, or sugar water, or noseclips - these things appear to be part (of a growing) amount of paraphernalia, iconography and otherwise associated mysticisms which have sprung up to make the theory more applicable. The real thing about SLD is the relationship between flavour, glucose and leptin / other hormones leading to fat storage - or not. Now that I have a fuller appreciation, my disappointment has dissipated.

And I beg your pardon -- I assumed you meant you weren't a native English speaker. I didn't mean to say you write like a furriner or anything  :)

Hmm, well, there's another noun I don't know, what's a furriner? Oh, I see :)

I think that there needs to be some self-experimentation to see what the effect of taste without calories has on weight gain - now that Seth has shown the relationship between tasteless calories and body weight. But first I'll shed some pounds, I think!

SixtiesLibber

« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2006, 01:23:36 PM »

I think there is another factor in why SLD works that hasn't been made explicit on this thread.

Just eating fewer calories doesn't work especially well for weight loss because if you go below your setpoint your body will adopt various compensatory mechanisms such as lowering your metabolism.  Not to mention making you so hungry that it's almost impossible not to eat if you have any food available.

Yes, SLD causes AS so you eat less calories but it is the fact that it causes AS by reducing your setpoint that makes it so effective. 

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2006, 02:47:49 PM »

yes, SLD lowers your set point so that you want to eat less. It's not just appetite suppression it's actually appetite reversal -- you eat to become thinner rather than fatter. That's what Joyce Cohen meant by "a kind of not hungry you've never felt before."

islandgal

« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2006, 07:55:25 PM »

I tried this today.  I have several flavors of protein drinks - the one I used today was a vanilla whey with super greens.  I mixed it with water and added more than called for then added the following: Celery seed, nutmeg, dill, gomasio (sesame seed, seeweed & sea salt blend), some basil and cinnamon.  I was really skeptical to drink it.  But it really wasn't bad.  I did half of it for a mid morning snack and then added a couple other things to it tonight to finish the other half as a after dinner snack.  I think I added Italian seasoning, cayenne and pumpkin to the above.    I don't think I added enough of each though as I could taste the vanilla flavor of the shake itself more than anything - but this AM could also taste the dill and tonight the cayenne.  I don't have any blends but will look at getting some maybe Mrs. Dash (?) as they are saltless next payday.  Would this work?

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2006, 09:07:37 PM »

quite likely. it is likely to work if it doesn't taste familiar.

michelle

« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2006, 10:27:13 AM »

OK, I don't mean to be contrary, but I tried this earlier today and almost threw up. I managed to get about half of it down -- and do agree that it's suppressing my appetite -- but it's definitely not something I'll be able to try again. I could taste all of the variables as promised (spicy, sweet, creamy), but these are just not things that I can consume together. Ugh!

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2006, 10:36:58 AM »

OK, I don't mean to be contrary, but I tried this earlier today and almost threw up. I managed to get about half of it down -- and do agree that it's suppressing my appetite -- but it's definitely not something I'll be able to try again. I could taste all of the variables as promised (spicy, sweet, creamy), but these are just not things that I can consume together. Ugh!

Hmm. Sounds like you added too much spices. I should have suggested a gradual step-by-step approach: add the varying spices a little at a time, tasting again and again, so that you enough so that the mixture tastes unfamiliar but not so much that it tastes overwhelming.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18