Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
What to do if you're not losing: Crazy Spicing 2.0

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: What to do if you're not losing: Crazy Spicing 2.0  (Read 65456 times)

TalkingRat

Re: What to do if you're not losing: Crazy Spicing 2.0
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2006, 03:25:51 PM »

I think I could get into this spicing, at least with smoothies.  Yesterday I had one with 5-spice and it was pretty good.  I don't like the taste of protein powder, so anything that masks it is an improvement.  I used ice, protein powder, cottage cheese, psillium, splenda, and ice water.  It tasted a bit too nonfat, so I stirred in 1T coconut oil that had been heated just enough to become clear.  That part was a neat discovery, because the ice-cold smoothie instantly solidified the coconut as tiny little granules, and it was like having finely chopped nuts in there.  The coconut immediately took on the flavor of the spice, so it wasn't the usual coconut taste at all.

Today's experiment wasn't quite as good, but I know why.  This one had peach, espresso, and cinnamon for the spice -- not technically crazy spicing, but with the coffee-peach it was already oddly flavored, LOL.  But I should have refrigerated the espresso first, and I needed more ice and less water to compensate for the espresso, so the coconut didn't do its trick today.  If anyone wants to try the coconut, make sure your smoothie is thick and cold.  But it did do the trick for my hunger.  I was feeling antsy about food today, and two hours post smoothie, I'm still stuffed.  the peach-espresso-cinnamon flavor was actually quite pleasant.

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2006, 04:51:53 PM »

good idea to have more than one texture, I'll try adding coconut oil -- I have plenty of it. Almonds in some form, added after blending, might also work.

your smoothie might taste a little better if it has some salt.

the flavors should taste spicy, not pleasant. The pleasure comes from everything else.

falconcy

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2006, 07:59:44 AM »

With the almonds, you could try grinding them up fine, adding water, blending and then straining them to get the almond milk out of them. Other things I think you could use are ground flaxseed, cashews, pine nuts, and how about coconut milk instead of the oil?

Another idea would be to use iced green tea as part of the fluid base, I know that would work with strawberries and mint for example.

Need to get a new blender, the dragon ...I mean other half, managed to break the glass jar of ours so I don't have a good high speed blender any more  :(

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2006, 08:23:34 AM »

The reason for using the almonds is to get a different texture -- I guess that wasn't clear. Grinding them up fine would eleminate that. I tried chopped almonds yesterday and the pieces were a bit too big.

buttonmylips

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2006, 12:03:30 PM »

I drink a chocolate protein shake at breakfast and lunch.  Do you think if I add crazy and different spice to that shake that is would work?  I am trying to use these shakes up as i have 4 containers of it.  From one of my MANY previous diets.  Thanks.  Pam aka. buttonmylips.

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2006, 12:10:36 PM »

yes, it should work. Add spice blends -- 3 or more -- not spices. And add lots.

javacody

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2006, 12:24:32 PM »

Seth, what type of spice blends to you use? What brand?

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2006, 01:06:51 PM »

I use Penzeys spice blends, a list of which can be found here (under Tips and Innovations):

http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=853.0

taligator

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2006, 10:03:58 PM »

OK I managed my first full crazy spiced smoothie. It was a vanilla banana garam masala shake. *g* It was certainly better tasting than the foul concoction I made up last week which I couldn't get past the first sip.

I had an early dinner comprised largely of vegetables and was hungry so I decided on a shake and I'm very full. I have no idea if it's because of the amount I drank or the shake itself but I'm full right now. I wonder how this will affect my hunger levels in the morning .. ooh new experiment. :p

kelroses

• Make Money From Home
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2006, 10:08:48 AM »

I've always hated smoothies but I decided to try this.  I had ice cubes, 2% vanilla yogurt, 2 scoops of orange flavoured protein powder, 1/2 teaspoon each of cinnamon and nutmeg.  I was amazed at how good it was.  Unusual but good...and sooooooo filling. Great meal replacement for sure.

Thanks,

Heidi

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2006, 10:30:52 AM »

you'll usually want more than 2 spices -- I use about 5 spice blends, each with 5 or so spices. if using individual spices, I suggest 6 or more.

valliegirl

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2006, 03:02:26 AM »

I found a company that sells 1lb bags of spices wholesale.  They are really inexpensive.  Not a lot of spices mixes but I did find 5 to try.  I also thought I'd try some mulling spices for liquids.  They do have a minimum order of $30 but the price per lb. can't be beat.

Here's the link if interested:  http://www.atlanticspice.com/

firmfaith

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2006, 10:01:44 AM »

I am going to try this.  I use to drink 2 smoothies a day with cranwater, protein powder, stevia, flax oil and blueberries.  Can I do this and add the crazy spices or do I have to have something like half and half or yogurt for it to work?

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2006, 10:37:22 AM »

just the crazy spices

firmfaith

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2006, 08:27:47 AM »

Seth:  I had my smoothie and the spices I added were vanilla extract, nutmeg and Chinese five-spice.  Was this ok?  It was delicious!  I assume I have to change the spices around every time I make it?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18