Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
What to do if you're not losing: Crazy Spicing 2.0

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: What to do if you're not losing: Crazy Spicing 2.0  (Read 66245 times)

Calsunshine

Re: What to do if you're not losing: Crazy Spicing 2.0
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 08:57:34 AM »

Is this to be substituted for our oil/SW dose? or for a meal?

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 09:03:18 AM »

no, don't substitute it for oil/SW. It's in addition to that -- it provides more SLD calories. It can be substituted for a normal meal, yes.

if you're not losing weight with SLD or not losing fast enough, I think the solution is likely to be more SLD calories/day. If you replace a meal (non-SLD calories) with one of these drinks (SLD calories) you are thereby getting more SLD calories/day. But if you replace the oil or SW with it, you may not be getting more SLD calories/day.

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2006, 09:18:53 AM »

Do you have a rough idea of how many calories has a Crazy Smoothie? I need to stay within 1200 cal/day, SLD calories included. I want to have Crazy Smoothies as my mid-afternoon snack. I'm planning to do it with plain lowfat yogurt, which is very low cal. Something like 60 each container. Then I just have to add the protein powder's, 2 Ts is like 180, that makes 240. The calories in spices are despisable, right? Well, I don't like Splenda, i'll just add fructose or sucrose, so it will raise to like 300 calories, is this more or less right?
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

Calsunshine

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2006, 09:44:45 AM »

Thank you, Seth.  I just made one and am having it for a late breakfast.  I used the ice, a scoop of soy powder, some blueberries and Splenda.  It froze up when I blended it so I added some light soy milk until it would blend.  I plan to pick up some Trader Joe's protein powder today and some other spices.  I like the idea of pumpkin pie spice.  I'm thinking too that blending some chicken or vegetable broth with some leftover cooked vegetables would be good for lunch.
Cheers,
Cali

Marianna

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2006, 09:57:33 AM »

Pinkmug--I use a protein powder that has 100 cals and 24 g of protein (Milk and Egg Protein)--then I add a small yogurt, spices and ice and blend--for 150 cals it isn't too bad--I also can only take in about 1200 cals per day counting oil/sw--I am using this as my lunch--

barleyblair

• Teaching the old dog some new tricks.
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2006, 03:16:31 PM »

Me too me too.  I was one of those who rejected the first version of Crazy Spicing because I don't want to make food taste bad.  But Crazy Shakes are delicious -- or at least my first one was.  Ice cubes, whole milk yogurt, flaxseed + borage oil, psyllium husks + sucrose, goat milk, 4 different random spice blends.  Superb.  What a great idea!
xxx, barley blair

chrianna

• this is a test, this is only a test
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2006, 06:20:50 PM »

i made the smoothie for my lunch around 11 am.  i don't think it worked.  i was hungry an hour after and i've been holding off eating until for about two hours.

there may a few reasons why the smoothie didn't take for me.  first, it is definitely a ditto food for me.  the only thing i substituted was the spices for the fruit i used to add.  i used to drink a smoothie every morning for a year.  its understandable that the crazy spiced smoothie wouldn't work.  even if the taste was different, i'm guessing that the ditto texture worked against me. 

i also started walking this morning.  tried to go 40 mins which is quite a bit after several months of little movement.

should i tinker a bit more with the smoothie concept?

paulkimelman

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2006, 07:36:28 PM »

It is odd that they skipped savory (umami). The rest are tongue receptors (including astringent (tannins) and spicy (Capsaicin)).

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2006, 08:00:09 PM »

I think it would taste better -- be more pleasant -- with unami. I think the appetite suppression comes from somwhere else entirely: calories with an unfamiliar flavor.

When I bother to cook curries at home and include most of these flavors, I tend to be satisfied with less food.

I'd guess that when you cook curries at home and include most of those flavors, what you make tastes less familiar.

there may a few reasons why the smoothie didn't take for me.  first, it is definitely a ditto food for me.  the only thing i substituted was the spices for the fruit i used to add.  i used to drink a smoothie every morning for a year.  its understandable that the crazy spiced smoothie wouldn't work.  even if the taste was different, i'm guessing that the ditto texture worked against me.

I don't think familiar textures matter, although I could be wrong. I think for this to work it's important to have

-- a large amount of spices. I use 1-2 teaspoons.

-- a large diversity of spices. There are probably 20 or more spices within those 1-2 teaspoons, since I use 3 or 4 spice blends.

You need a large diversity of spices so that they become unrecognizable. If you can recognize any flavor (e.g., basil, vanilla, chocolate, tarragon) while drinking it it may not work.

Pinkmug

• Lisboa Portugal
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2006, 01:59:46 AM »

Thanks, Marianna! My shake must have been a little more caloric:
1 nonfat plain yogurt (60) 1 T protein powder (50) 1 banana (90) 1 tea sp honey (?) 1 tea sp tahin (some 20 or 30) 4 ice cubes;
then: dash of nutmeg, paprika, white pepper, turmeric, cinnamon and vanilla. The color was a beautiful mustard color, and it tasted vaguely like curry. I loved it, and it was filling, I just ate some melon cubes after and that was it, my dinner. A little over 200 cal, and extremely filling!! Good choice for a low calorie diet, if on the other meal you have a variety of vegetables.
A calorie is just a bug that lives in the closet and shrinks your clothes overnight

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2006, 12:28:32 PM »

thanks for the clarification, shrinkingbean. yes, maybe putting unami flavor into the smoothie would hlep.

taligator

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2006, 06:42:03 AM »

I wanted to share something I posted a few weeks ago over in the food forum. It's blended salads or "cubed" smoothies if you prefer. It mentions the Vita-Mix specifically but any good strong blender should work just fine. It fits with the crazy spicing very well. You could easily mix the spicing into the ice-cubes making it even easier to have these smoothies on a regular basis.

CarolS

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2006, 09:19:55 AM »

Okay I got crazy enough to put a spice mix in a yogurt/fruit/wheat germ shake I made.  My SIL gave me the spice blend in a bag - supposed to be for makin dip.  Don't even know what's in it.  That is definitely crazy spicing!

So I'll see how it does.  Pretty full now and the thought of food is slightly gross.

moby

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2006, 09:45:31 AM »

I have a sort of odd apprehension to half and half.  Would a scoop of ice cream, protean powder and random spices suffice, or will the flavor of the ice cream over power the flavor of the spices?

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2006, 09:53:08 AM »

ice cream should be okay, so long as you use lots of spices, enough so that you can't detect the ice cream flavor. any high-fat food should work in place of half and half. I have been been using whole milk yoghurt instead of half and half. That worked. also I have been adding half of my daily dose of walnut oil (1 tablespoon) to this. The walnut oil (refined) is flavorless; it's just another way of increasing the "fat taste" which is pleasant.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18