Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
What to do if you're not losing: Crazy Spicing 2.0

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: What to do if you're not losing: Crazy Spicing 2.0  (Read 64105 times)

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
What to do if you're not losing: Crazy Spicing 2.0
« on: July 24, 2006, 08:28:11 AM »

My guess is that everyone has the same weight control system, it's just the parameter values that vary from person to person (and that differ between men and women). When SLD isn't working for someone, I believe in most cases it will turn out that they just need a larger "dose" of the diet -- they need to consume more set-point-lowering calories/day.

Here is one way -- a way that I find pleasant and easy. It is a variation on the idea of crazy-spicing one's food (adding random flavors) that solves some of the problems associated with the original idea.

Here's a drink I make in my blender:

1. Crush about 1 cup of ice.

2. add 1-2 T half-and-half.

3. add 2 Splenda packets

4. add 2-4 T protein powder (flavored okay)

5. add approx 1/4 - 1/2 tsp of each of 4 or 5 randomly chosen spice blends

blend until smooth.

This makes a pleasant and satisfying drink. It tastes "spicy" -- not unpleasant at all.

The half-and-half and the protein powder supply calories, which will be in range 100-300. Which should be just as effective at appetite suppression as the same number of calories of ELOO.

I like this for two reasons, both of which improve on the simple idea of adding random spices to your food:

1. It is pleasant to drink. Unlike most foods, the pleasure doesn't come at all from the flavor. It comes from the creamy texture (supplied by the half-and-half), the protein taste (supplied by the protein powder),  sweetness (from Splenda), saltiness (from the spice blends), and the liquid (ice). Each of these components produces a little bit of pleasure, which sum up. The whole food is constructed to provide the pleasure that the flavor fails to provide.

2. There is no sense of loss. This food is new to me so I don't have any expectation that it "should" taste better than this. I don't think: oh no, I am going to add spices and make it taste worse. I think this is what caused many people to reject crazy spicing; they don't want good foods to taste worse.

It is as healthy as you make it -- you can add almost anything to the basic mix, including fruit and cooked vegetables. The large amount of spices is very healthy -- spices are high in antioxidants, as I've mentioned in my blog.

I've been doing this for about two weeks. Yesterday I bought a new container of protein powder. I came home intending to have a small dinner but it was hot so I wanted to have this drink before dinner to cool off. But after I made it and drank it I forgot about dinner.

If you try this I hope you'll post about the results.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 08:18:41 PM by Seth Roberts »

SixtiesLibber

Re: What to do if you're not losing: Crazy Spicing 2.0
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 05:11:56 PM »

This sounds really interesting.

I've made something similar (with fruit and not, as yet, crazy-spiced) and discovered that adding a rounded teaspoon of Regular Flavor psyllium seed husk fiber (such as Metamucil original or a grocery store brand) adds enough sweetness, makes the shake nicely thick, and helpfully adds some fiber.  The sweetness comes from 3 grams (12 calories) worth of sucrose in the fiber mix.  Be sure and read the label if you want to avoid the variations with artificial sweeteners and/or artificial flavors.  I also suggest whole milk yogurt as an alternative to the half-and-half.

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 05:55:17 PM »

thanks for the suggestions

Stephen M (Ethesis)

• http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
    • http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 07:56:47 PM »

This sounds really interesting.

I've made something similar (with fruit and not, as yet, crazy-spiced) and discovered that adding a rounded teaspoon of Regular Flavor psyllium seed husk fiber (such as Metamucil original or a grocery store brand) adds enough sweetness, makes the shake nicely thick, and helpfully adds some fiber.  The sweetness comes from 3 grams (12 calories) worth of sucrose in the fiber mix.  Be sure and read the label if you want to avoid the variations with artificial sweeteners and/or artificial flavors.  I also suggest whole milk yogurt as an alternative to the half-and-half.

Does that, err, work as a laxative?  Otherwise it sounds like a great idea.

SixtiesLibber

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 08:05:47 PM »

I don't think fiber -- such as bran or psyllium husk -- qualifies as a laxative.  It just adds (back) the normal roughage one would get by eating less-processed foods.  A rounded teaspoon of psyllium husk has about the same amount of fiber as there is in a standard serving of breakfast cereal which is way less than the RDA for fiber.

barbinsky

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 12:39:15 AM »

Seth, thanks for continuing to innovate for those of us who aren't losing weight by using the "standard" SLD method.  After almost 2 months, my body is continuing to stubbornly maintain its weight while I'm taking oil.  Good that I'm not on an upward trend, and I'm definitely feeling a taming of the appetite--but I would like to *lose*!

Question: is there any reason why you're using splenda instead of a naturally occurring sweetener?  It would be OK to use fructose, stevia, table sugar, etc, correct?  As long as the overall flavor is unfamiliar, that's the idea, right?  And also: you could take oil capsules with this "SLD smoothie" and their potency as set-point lowering calories would be uncompromised, yes?  Just to check that I'm understanding correctly... TIA for your answers  :)

I've decided I'm game for giving this a try.  I'll post on how it goes.  2 months in with no weight loss to speak of, but haven't given up yet, for whatever reason!  Well, I guess that reason is that I'm just totally unwilling/wanting to go on a traditional Diet, and SLD still holds hope...

Ann H

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 03:09:39 AM »

Please hang in there and keep talking here, barbinsky and others like you: we really need to figure all this out! And I'm sure we can.

Ann H

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 06:28:09 AM »

Any sweetener should work. I use Splenda rather than table sugar because if I used table sugar I wouldn't want to drink it quickly. And I do drink these quickly, they taste good and I'm hot & thirsty.

xtine

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 03:23:32 PM »

Well, I tried it today (the crazy spicing thing) with Whole Foods whey protein powder, crushed ice and spices.  To my surprise it tasted creamy and odd but quite nice.  And despite low cal intake today, I've gone from being a bit hungry after lunch to feeling absolutely stuffed.  So... I'm going to keep trying this one daily, and I'll report back!

Seth: do you need to leave the one hour window either side of the crazy-spicing shake too?

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 03:52:03 PM »

Seth: do you need to leave the one hour window either side of the crazy-spicing shake too?

No. The reason for the one-hour window is to keep flavors (e.g., from toothpaste, smoking, etc.) from being associated with the calories in the oil or sugar water. With the crazy spicing, however, the calories become associated with the random flavor of your crazy-spiced food. Which is fine, because you never experience the flavor again.

barbinsky

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 06:07:14 PM »

This is fun  :P  I feel like a wizard concocting a brew.

This morning I had crushed ice with 1% milk, kefir, fructose, and spices since that's all I had in the house.  I could taste the milk, although overall it did taste distinctly different from anything I've ever tasted before!

This afternoon I had crushed ice, half-and-half, protein powder, fructose, a few chunks of frozen mango, and a crazy assortment of different random spices (I think it was pumpkin pie spice, chili powder, ginger, gumbo spice, cocoa, mustard powder...)

I took my oil softgels with the smoothie.  This is very helpful for me, because they give me a bad tummy ache if I take them on an empty stomach.  Up until now I'd pretty much been grinning and bearing it, as in scrunching myself up in ball in bed to cope--talk about dedication!

I had a small salad for lunch--and more out of politeness to my friend than out of hunger, to be honest.

So far, so good.  I will keep posting.

And oh yeah, the smoothies are oddly pleasant, though weird!

SFC

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 07:50:21 PM »

Seth,

On the one-hour window question, it would seem to me,  that if you ate, say, a peanut butter sandwich within 10 or 15 minutes of the crazy-spiced drink, that you could end up strengthening the sandwich's calorie signal, no?

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 09:02:27 PM »

no, I think the system by and large associates the calories in a food with the flavors of that food, so long as the food has flavor. Especially when the food has a strong flavor, as these blended drinks do. No doubt the system doesn't work perfectly but I don't see why a peanut-butter sandwich would pose a special problem. The flavor of the drink would overwrite the peanut butter flavor. So when the calorires in the drink are detected, it is the flavor of the drink, not the peanut-butter flavor, that is being remembered in the brain.

It might turn out that the system can be fooled but I don't think it is an assumption you want to begin with. It's the product of, oh, a million years of evolution.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 10:26:21 PM by Seth Roberts »

barbinsky

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2006, 10:13:49 PM »

OK, end of Day One drinking crazy spice smoothie in addition to taking the oil, and as I've posted on my progress thread (http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=801.15) the appetite suppression is AMAZING.  I can't believe it.  Is this what everybody's been talking about?!  I mean, I was experiencing a little bit of appetite taming before, but this is unmistakable.  If this continues, I don't see how I won't lose weight! 

By the way, I like the fact that there's some volume to the smoothie, so I feel like I'm actually eating something "real" rather than taking medicine, if that makes sense. 

I bought some tofu, plain whole milk yogurt, and a middle-eastern yogurt cheese, all of which are pretty bland I think, and should lend themselves well to blending.  I'll try those in the days to come.

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2006, 10:27:34 PM »

I bought some whole milk yogurt to use in place of half-and-half. But I can't tell you how well it works because I forgot to add the protein powder.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18