Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
healthiest extra virgin olive oil? (somewhat off-topic)

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: healthiest extra virgin olive oil? (somewhat off-topic)  (Read 3765 times)

imsovain

healthiest extra virgin olive oil? (somewhat off-topic)
« on: July 20, 2006, 06:47:26 PM »

Just to make clear, I'm asking about extra VIRGIN, not the SLD recommended extra light...

If I wanted to get the "healthiest" extra virgin olive oil, which brand should I get?  Does it matter where the olive oil was grown?  Is there anything I should look for?  Is there any reason I shouldn't just buy the cheapest grocery-store labeled brand?

kronos77

Re: healthiest extra virgin olive oil? (somewhat off-topic)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 05:08:34 PM »

It is well documented that most of the oils labeled as "extra virgin", are not.  Fraud is out of control.  One problem is that we have no regulation regarding the term "extra virgin", so suppliers can call anything by that name.  Also, many of the so called olive oils out there are cut with some cheaper oil.  Forget about the health benefits in that case.

Bottom line, avoid all supermarket olive oils.  I avoid imported oilve oils because of the widespread fraud.  California olive oils certified EV by the California Olive Oil Council are a good bet.  DaVero and Sciabica are two favorites.  I love Bariani best of all, which is not certfied, but whose producer I trust. 

Be very aware of fraud.  It is out there.

falconcy

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 08:19:09 PM »

Way better is picking the olives off the tree yourself and taking it down to the local olive mill to get it pressed. Makes up for some of the shortcomings of living in the Mediterranean ;-)

umm

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 07:19:48 AM »

i can't get ELOO in my town, all the shops and supermarkets have is extra virgin or just olive oil. i saw one on which light taste was written, but i did not buy it as i was looking for extra light. can i use extra virgin instead or do light taste mean extra light? i am starting sugar water today but wish to add oil to it to get better results. i hope to lose 4o pounds.

rps930

• Food For Fuel
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 09:22:01 AM »

I'd try the one that said light taste, and hold nose shut, then drink some water.  Have found some extra light brands have more taste than others, but all should work if you can clip or hold your nose when taking them.  Good luck and stay the course!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18