Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Creaky's Progress

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creaky's Progress  (Read 5951 times)

creaky

Creaky's Progress
« on: July 19, 2006, 09:42:24 PM »

I found SLD while doing some research on the Internet.  I don't remember what I was researching but here I am.  I read as much as I could over that weekend and ordered the book from Amazon.com.  I was curious about the program as I've lost over 90 pounds in the past two years by low cal/low fat but I was always hungry - always hungry!  Starting weight was 270 lbs, today's weight is 175 pounds.

Most of my weight loss was in 2005 from 250 to 185.  January 2005 I was denied a job promotion after putting much time and effort into my job position.  I decided from that point to take care of myself first - to lose weight, watch what I ate and to exercise more.  My blood pressure was high too.  I did some research on the internet on diets to lower blood pressure and found the DASH diet.  I followed it, added exercise - mainly aerobic by walking and riding my bike.  I dabbled in atkins, raw food but not much happened with that.  But like I said - I was hungry all the time.  My thoughts were on the next meal and I wanted the next meal to be right then.

At the end of May 2006 I broke my right ankle while riding my bike.  I had to have surgery to put in a plate and pins, so I've been off my feet and on a walker.  I decided that I would either maintain or lose during this time.  And I have - I've lost 9 pounds since May without SLD, but still hungry.

I started SLD on July 15 2006.  Each day my hunger decreases so that today it is a faint rumble.  I eat 5-6 300 calorie meals each day with 3 tablespoons of ELOO each day.  I take 1 tbsp around 8 am, another an hour after lunch then the last just before bed.

I ate a chocolate bar tonight and it didn't have the umph that it usually had.  It was a bit bland and tasteless.  I wish that I would have brought an apple or orange instead as they taste great to me. 

I'm keeping an eating journal on this forum in the eating journal subgroup if you want to see what I eat.  I eat very simply with lots of fruits and vegetables.  I eat very little processed food.  I try to follow the Will Clower's book The French Don't Diet Plan: 10 Simple Steps to Stay Thin for Life as it allows me to eat real food but the SLD is the first program that seems to be controlling my hunger and my eating. 

I'll try to update on a regular basis at least after my weigh-in each Wednesday night at TOPS (Take off Pounds Sensibly www.tops.org).

Christy K.
Pre-SLD Stats:  270/175/150 (starting/current/desired)
SLD Stats (181/175/150)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 07:47:18 PM by creaky »

creaky

07-21-06
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 10:37:30 PM »

I was able to work a full 40 hours this week.  Since returned to work after the surgery on my right ankle I worked about 32 hours or so.  I took Mondays off as if I tried to work Mon - Friday I was exhausted by Friday.

I felt good today (Friday) even though I've worked since Monday.  I think I can attribute this to the ELOO and SLD as that was the only change I've made since the previous week.

creaky

07/22/2006
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 08:49:36 PM »

The weekends have always been my worst days for overeating. I would spend all day eating or fighting the urge to eat. Today, Saturday, was very easy for me.    When I went over to my sister's house, I took my lunch with me as I didn't know what she had to eat in the house.  I knew she would have cheese, so I took a tortilla with me to fold the cheese in and nuke it. 

I wasn't very hungry today.  I didn't feel obsessed about eating.

One thing strange - I went out to dinner tonight and had a prme rib entree which was supposed to be prime rib, blue cheese and onions with french fries.  It tasted horrible.  I'm not sure if it due to SLD or not.  I complained to the cashier and told her it was the worst meal I had eaten at that restaurant.  It was very bland.

My scale says I've lost weight, but I count my weekly TOPS weigh in as what I lost/gained each week.

creaky

07/24/06
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 05:47:31 AM »

Paul - thanks for your comments.  Isn't is nice to find a way that helps you to lose weight that doesn't cost you an arm and a leg or where the creator isn't trying to make megabucks off of you by selling a shake or expensive food.

The weekend was good as I said on Saturday.  No real food crisis but it was funny on Saturday as I was cutting up a watermelon, I would put a piece in my mouth, then think I can't eat that, I need to take my oil in  30 minutes and spit it back out again.

creaky

07/25//06
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 10:11:21 PM »

This was a busy weekend.  I was up and around all weekend.  I can attribute my extra energy to taking the oil and thus being able to stay on track with my eating. 

The past 8 weekends since breaking my ankle have been recuperation days where I sit around and do nothing.  But Saturday, Sunday and Monday I was up and walking (using walker, or course) for a straight hour or more along with the regular getting around stuff. 

Combine this with working a full 40 (more like 45 hours) last week at work, I'm very happy with my increased stamina!

My youngest sister (27 yo) drove me out to Palm Desert and I was able to see a friend of mine and some people I worked with in 2000-2001.  They couldn't believe how good I looked.  One guy told me that he almost didn't recognize me. 

Christy K.

creaky

07/29/06
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 12:42:19 AM »

No weight loss this week.  A bit frustrating.

Decided to try crazy spicing as I see that I'm eating a lot of the same foods, day after day.  I decided to crazy spice my bland foods - cottage cheese, potatoes, rice and vegetable stir frys.  We'll see what happens.

creaky

Re: Creaky's Progress
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 08:24:15 PM »

The crazy spicing seems to be helping.  I'm adding about 1/4 tsp each of 3 different spices to my morning cottage cheese and my lunch rice/potato.  The meals I am eating are filling me up better and I'm not hungry for a reasonable amount of time afterwards.  Also my mid morning and afternoons snacks are down to just fruit which is what I wanted to get them down to.

Hunger is less wtih the oil and crazy spicing.

creaky

08/02/06
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 05:25:40 AM »

chrianna commented on my food journal at http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=1475.0 that I eating less each day.  Now that I go through my food journal I can see how my food consumption has decreased each day.

Not sure if I commented this before but my sweet tooth is gone. Work had a bake sale last week.  I bought some cookies and cake.  I tried each one and they tasted bad.  Same thing happens with candy.  What a relief that I don't have to fight my sweet tooth all the time.  Now when I look at a sweet, in the back of my mind is "It really isn't going to taste as good as you think." and I pass on the candy.

I still want salty foods, so I'm going to try the salt cure and see if that helps with that part of it.  I know it's not for doing this.  The salt cure if more for helping with other health problems. 

The crazy spicing seems to help.  It seems that no matter what spices I've added to my cottage cheese and/or rice, I've liked it.  I even get a hunger pang when I'm mixing it up, not sure if this is okay or not.  I eat such bland food each day that I taste bud kick from the cs is a boost in taste.  My cat doesn't like that I'm crazy spicing my cottage cheese.  She sits next to me as I eat my cottage cheese as she wants to lick the bowl with the spicing she doesn't like it. So I may have to bring a tiny amount of cottage cheese for her to eat.  How I spoil my cats!

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 06:35:00 PM »

the "salt cure" isn't in the book. I don't know what it is.

chrianna

• this is a test, this is only a test
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 06:37:16 PM »

creaky may be referring to the water cure which is what taligator discussed in this thread:

http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=942.0

but if im wrong, no prob.

creaky

OOPs
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2006, 08:17:21 PM »

Yes. It was the water cure.  My bad.  It was early in the morning when I was typing it up.  Didn't mean to cause any confusion, but it's good to see that people are reading my progresss!

Christy

creaky

08/03/06
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 10:01:17 PM »

The ankle is healed according to the doctor.  I saw him today, he looked at my xrays and said I could start walking on it and get some physical therapy. 

I finally have my freedom back!!  Hurray for me!  I am so happy.  I'm a very independent person and for the past 10 weeks I've had to ask people to help me and do things for me.  Very frustrating!  But I found out that I have many friends at work. 

So I'm walking.  I bought a cane so I wouldn't screw up my good leg by favoring the bad one.  I took my two dogs out for a very short and slow walk.  I think they enjoyed it.

creaky

08/05/06
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2006, 09:23:15 PM »

Did some shopping this weekend.  Went to Trader Joe's in Redlands, CA and bought lots of different tastes to try.  Some curry sauces and salsas.  I bought some of their frozen entrees - mexican, indian and chinese ones - to have for lunch so I could have different tastes.  There's lots of food in the containers - more than I could eat plus my salad, so each meal might last me two meals.  The ingredients in each were good.

My food is very bland as you can tell by reading my food log.  I really enjoy crazy spicing my cottage cheese and rice.  I also read the 50 ways to cook chicken breasts and will try these. Also bought the materials for the crazy shakes.

The right leg and foot is very sore and hurts a lot to walk on, but I'm going to keep going on it. The only way it is going to get better is to keep exercising it.  I have a long term plan to try and run the annual Baker to Vegas Relay Race that my department with the San Bernardino Sheriff Dept wants to participate in.  The relay sections are about 5-6 miles.  I just need to buy a good pair of running shoes to train and run in.  It's an ambitious challenge.  Not sure if I can do it or not.  I'll have to see how the physical therapy will do.

Eating has been poor the past few days but I haven't been taking my oil on a regular basis.  I ate chinese food for lunch, outback on Thursday night.

I bought the sea salt at Trader Joes to do the water cure. 

creaky

08/09/06
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 09:22:00 PM »

I gained this week - only 3/4 lb.  I wasn't very careful this week either about eating or the oil so this weight gain I can blame on myself.  The pain from my right foot and ankle has been intense.  I try to walk on it but it hurts a lot.  I am able to ride my stationary recumbent bike for about 10 minutes - no real pain, so I will add more time.  I'm not riding at an aerobic level, just getting on the bike and riding at level 2 resistance.

Well, I almost gave SLD up this morning.  It's been frustrating to not lose.  But then I looked at what has happened for me since I started taking the oil:

1.  I've added more taste to my diet.  I was eating a very boring meals and very bland meals.  Now I do the crazy spicing, and try to have new tasting food each day -especially at lunch.   I think this is better for me in the long run.

2.  I've stopped eating between meals and now have three larger meals. I had found the "No S" diet a long time ago but couldn't follow it as I was hungry between meals.

3.  I'm not so obsessed with food and when will be my next meal.  I find I can look at the clock, see it's 9 am and go take my oil.  Then around 11 I get hungry and start to plan my work so I can take my lunch in the next hour or so.  The afternoon is easy for me.  I take a piece of fruit with me, just in case I need it for a snack.

4.  I'm not so hungry.  The hunger is still there but not as strong.  I hope by crazy spicing with more foods and meals it will be easier.  I tried the crazy spicing shake and found it to bad tasting and the texture wasn't one I could eat.

This is an easy way to deal with my hunger - just take the oil.  I went through a lot of the "Why isn't this working" on the forum.  This helped me to decided to stick with it.  Not because I didn't want to be in the class of posters (which isn't bad), but I saw a lot of the 'not losing' posters expected this to be another "eat all you want and still lose weight" instead using the SLD principles with sensible eating and  a good exercise program.  Now that I'm back on my feet, I think I can concentrate better on my exercise. 

So this is what I plan to do over the next week:
1.  Read SLD book again.
2.  Eat a 1200-1500 calorie diet (the oil will bring me up to 1500 to 1800 calories).  At this level I seem to lose.  Follow the Clover's The French don't diet plan as this allows real food.  It's a bit harder to stay in calorie range as you don't eat the non/low fat foods (less calories), but I with the oil, I can do this as I eat less naturally.
3.  Start my exercise program - ride my stationary exercise bike at least 20 mins at day.  Start my resistance training program by doing body weight exercises (pushups, etc).  Hang my heavy bag and punch it at least 3x a week for as long as I can do it.  Start to Shovelglove again (search for shovelglove at google.com).  I know resistance exercise is the key for me, I just need to find a way to do it that I like.
4.  Focus, focus, focus
5.  Continue to post here and in my food log.

So wish me luck.  Hope this helps someone else with their process.

xtine

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2006, 12:00:37 PM »

Hi Creaky--- I do wish you luck.  I"ve been stuck too (worse, up 3 lbs) the last week-- partly that TOM but also less vigilant with intake and oil.  I don't have much to lose so small changes are everything with me.  I'm not giving up either.   The exercise sounds like a really good idea -- i too find that exercise makes all the difference, and having more muscle just makes me feel better, stronger, and like my body is working better.  I just joined a gym so I'm hoping that helps me over the hump.  Finally, all the changes you note are great and positive and I do wish you luck.  I think the main thing is not giving up and keeping at it, accepting imperfection and adjusting when necessary. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18