Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Anyone want a personal SLD page?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone want a personal SLD page?  (Read 32660 times)

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
Anyone want a personal SLD page?
« on: July 18, 2006, 08:32:11 AM »

A few weeks ago, waynewirs made some very interesting suggestions about how to get publicity for SLD. One of his suggestions was:

With the above tools, now you can suggest to your members to add a simple signature line to their emails and forum postings: See my weight loss progress at http://sethroberts.net/MyProfile .

The tools he refers to included a program that produced a graph that shows your weight loss (weight as a function of time). Since this suggestion I have changed my email signature to link to the forums.

waynewirs seems to be saying that some of you would be interested in a way to show others your progress in a compact way. I would like to find out if that is true. If so, I will create a special section within these forums in which each "topic" is a different person. Under each "topic" would be just one post that you would modify (update, elaborate, and decorate) as time goes on. That "post" would be one-stop shopping for those who want to find out how you are doing -- you would simply give them the link. Browsing in that section would allow others to see how a variety of people are doing, without having to read a sequence of posts for each one. All in all, that section would be a kind of SLD Quilt.

What might you put on your "page"? Certainly a measure of your progress. That might be as simple as two lines: line 1 = starting date & weight, line 2 = latest date & weight. Or it might be as complicated as a graph (weight vs time) that you make yourself & post or a graph made from #'s (the number of # shows your weight). But you could also put anything else you would like -- side effects, other people's reactions, quotes, decorative objects, etc.

Miller is doing something like this already, modifying a single post again and again to show overall progress. That post is here: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=696.msg4461#msg4461

The widespread use of weight-loss tickers in signatures suggests to me that waynewirs is right, people really do want to tell others about their progress. Your page would essentially be a 2-dimensional ticker with a lot more room for detail and creativity. And even if no one ever used their link in their email signature, it would still be nice to be able to go from place to place to see quickly see how people are doing.

I'd call new section Personal Pages, unless someone has a better name.

losingWtRed

Re: Anyone want a personal SLD page?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 08:41:23 AM »

Awesome idea!!!

I would love to do that because it gives me support and also I am proud to do "The Shangri - La Diet" and would love to show the world my progress on losing 50+ lbs :P

klwil3

• Kay
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 08:50:46 AM »

I just stared the diet yesterday after stumbling on to it while doing some on-line research.  I purchased the book on-line, but I wanted to start right away, so I scoured these pages looking for advice after reading the bit on calorielab.  I found the actual progress of people (like their tickers) as well as their tips to be really insightful, but I had to spend a long time looking through all these posts.  I would not replace these posts as I see they serve your users well, but I do think that these personal "postpages" would be really helpful for an outsides to gather information, get motivated, and show the overall success.  

In my opinion, the page would include a progress section (with something to show weightloss more than just text), a personal regime section with individual's tips for success specifically about the "diet", maybe a small bio section to show how the person found the diet, what motivates them, etc, a trial and error section where they explain how they developed their regime (i.e. setbacks, breakthroughs), and finally a section on what to expect (how it made them feel, the changes they experienced, etc).

But that's just my opinion. :)

Oh, and personal pages is good, but I'm not sure says the right thing to a new user.  I'd try something like "Individual Progress Pages" or "Individual Story Pages".

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 09:13:29 AM »

those are good name suggestions, klwil3,  I like "Individual Story Pages" the best. What about "Personal Story Pages"--is that better or worse than "Individual Story Pages"? And what about "Your Story Here"?

pupster

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 09:53:46 AM »

I like Individual Story Pages, although it's a little dry.  Personal Story Pages might imply that there's personal information about the person that someone new might not be looking for.  What about SLD-er's Personal Pages or My SLD Page?

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 09:54:51 AM »

My SLD Page is nice. what about

Your Story Here

spacehoppa

• England
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 02:25:23 PM »

I like the idea Seth. They have a similar thing on a fertility forum I am a member of. You get your own page that has charts with your monthly cycle in it and you can add personal details, photos and so on to it. The women on the forums often point eachother to their own personal page to review their chart (and predict ovulation dates / pregnancy status etc). It's certainly a great way to track progress of any kind and add a diary element at the same time.

I'm not sure about 'Your story here' though. That's not a link name I'd click on - it doesn't instantly mean anything to me. I do like 'My SLD page' though and 'My SLD story' is okay too. That makes instant sense to me. When creating link names, I find it's better to call things 'My Account', 'My profile', etc, rather than 'Your account' and 'Your profile'. (Sorry, I am a bit pinickity about this stuff as I am a web designer.)
Female, 35 yrs, started SLD 3rd May 2006, Start weight 196, Currently pregnant

girljedi

• "Do or do not; there is no try...."
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 03:30:57 PM »

How about "Your SLD Journey?"

jzkc

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 03:34:15 PM »

My SLD Space? 

BarbH

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 03:58:52 PM »

Oh yes, I would be very interested.  I'm new here and the timing for me would be great.  Since this link can be included in signature lines why not go all the way and spell it out. "Shangri-La Diet Personal Results Page"  After all, it is very personal.  Part of my goal is to be more open and less ashamed of how much I weigh and how I let this happen.    Should be good publicity for you and a source of positive feedback from our friends and family. 

Whatever it's called it's a great idea!  BarbH

fuzzymama

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 09:59:17 PM »

I like BarbH's idea - Shangri-La Diet Personal Results Page.  It's clear, direct, and speaks to something people are interested in.   I'd go there and post there. I'm new around here, how would this be different than the current results/progress section?  Would the person keeping track of data for his "master graph" still be able to do that?  I think that the collection of quantitative (even self reported) data along with the anecdotes is a very important part of the SLD revolution evolution.  If we're tossing CW out the window, let's give folks the stats and the details to demonstrate we're onto something here in SL.

Fuzzy

Nile

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 06:57:38 AM »

I think this is a good idea.  You might also consider setting up a site ( perhaps on the server that hosts this forum software ) where graphs can be posted so the URLs to the graphs can be embedded in the forum messages and thus folks could post graphs of their weight loss.  Something like the Ticker Factory graphs that many people use.  I for one like to see data in graph form rather than table form.

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 07:17:28 AM »

Thanks for all  your suggestions. I'm going to call the section My SLD Page. You can call it whatever you like (e.g., My Shangri-La Diet Personal Results Page) in your email sig -- the URLS of forums are numbers (e.g., board 7.0), not names.

Nile, I will look into your suggestion, thanks. In the meantime, there are several photo hosting sites on the web, such as Flickr, that can be used to post graphs.

Isara

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 02:11:53 PM »

out of curiosity, how is this different from tracking your progress? This seems a bit redundant to me, unless it's intended to be more personal?

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 02:53:50 PM »

it's different because it's more condensed and varied. It's more condensed because it's just one post, not many; and it's more varied because you can (and probably would) include more than just your progress.

I think many people -- people considering whether to try the diet, for example --- will want to see how person X, Y, and Z are doing without having to read a bunch of posts for each one.

And if you want to tell your friends how you are doing -- by giving them a link -- you may want to make it easier for them by pointing to one post instead of a series of them.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 07:11:18 PM by Seth Roberts »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18