Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
New guy in Charlottesville

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New guy in Charlottesville  (Read 24473 times)

mjohnson121

Re: New guy in Charlottesville
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2006, 03:51:27 PM »

Agreed. Even Seth mentioned the "danger of humor on the internet" or something to that affect.

Words...I tell ya! :)

-Mark

DirkVA

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2006, 04:01:36 PM »

Hi, folks. I haven't dropped out. Far from it. But deaths (two) in my close family and attendent issues almost as difficult have been going on. Also huge developments in recent weeks in my career (good ones) have been keeping me from posting. But not keeping me away from SLD. (I thought it important to testify that SLD basic routine can be kept up during the greatest stress.)

I have been consistent in continuing the oil and as many of the extra-credit principles as I could manage to keep up during all that has been going on. I have also continued to read the postings here. The thing that makes me feel I need to take a little time to share my progress with you is that, with all the great variety of experiences with SLD that I've read here, no one seems to be having my combination of effects. Each of the things I'm getting is being got by somebody else, but not in my combination.

As I said from the start, I was not going to be weighing myself much. Instead I have gone by the way clothes fit, which was immediately encouraging. I was fortunate enough to have an immediate and drastic reduction of appetite, and this has remained present (with a few non-worrying blips) throughout. I still find it very hard to estimate how much food to order, because food still appeals to me IN PROSPECT as much as it ever did. But once I start eating, I find my capacity remains greatly reduced.

I also have experienced the liberation that many have spoken of: food plays a much lesser role in my life than before.

My fairly mild eczema also improved right away, as others have said about themselves. Then it got the worst it has ever been! And now it has totally gone away. Go figure.

So I've felt thinner, I've felt lighter, I've felt happier.

But I haven't lost any weight.

In two solid months of following this faithfully and being very happy with the way it made me feel, I have lost zero pounds. In fact, when I finally weighed, I weighed several pounds more than what I had estimated my starting weight to be -- but that is unreliable.

Clearly something is wrong. I'm as sold on the diet as Stephen E. (who has lost several turkeys during the time I've been doing this) but have as sorry weight loss as "Diarist." Reading today about a guy who has lost 25 pounds during the time I've lost nothing really hurt. But then he's 30 years younger than I am, which has to be a factor.

I don't have time or mental energy, with all else that's going on, to be very diligent in pressing the enquiry of what's going wrong in my body or to try a lot of experiments to find remedy right now. But I'm a bit bummed that I've faithfully done the régime as advertised, and while I haven't given up hope by any means, I still am about 50 pounds overweight -- just as I was on May 5.

I'm 59 years old, 6'2" tall, weigh (alas) something over 240 pounds.

As I say, I can't strive much more with this until things settle in my life, but any advice will be gratefully listened to.

Best to all of you.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 06:24:39 PM by DirkVA »

CarolS

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2006, 04:16:53 PM »

Sorry to hear of your losses. 

Sounds like your ezcema had an 'extinction burst' however odd that sounds.

Why don't you keep on doing what you are doing?  It sounds like you have good appetite suppression.  Maybe your body just needs some more time to lower the set point below your current weight.  I wish we could measure what our setpoints are before during and hopefully after reaching our goals.  After those initial couple of pounds in the first few days, it got really slow for me - before SLD.  SLD is pretty slow too, for me.  I have lost a total of 10 lbs over 3 1/2 months.  That is less than 1 lb per week.  I bet you will start to lose and lose quickly. 

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2006, 04:31:19 PM »

DirkVA, could your estimate of your starting weight be too low?

DirkVA

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2006, 06:32:54 PM »

Yes, Seth. As I said, my exact starting weight estimate was unreliable, but not drastically so. I have never weighed myself and found the number to be 244 in my whole life -- until last week. While I can't give you the exact numbers, there is clearly something wrong when I've eaten drastically less for two months and not lost weight. Clearly my set point is remaining high despite dogged adherence to the basics of the diet.

But thanks, CarolS. I agree that I should continue. I meant to imply that intention in my last post. Why shouldn't I continue? I don't understand why anyone would give up on this when it's so easy. (Two of my friends have come back from vacation and said, "So obviously I've been off the diet." WHY? I don't get it.) Since I don't for a moment think the claims of this system are fraudulent or that all the successful posters here are set-ups, I have to keep hoping. (Though I had hoped to be down to about 215 by now. Boo-hoo.)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18