Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
new walnut oil'er question

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: new walnut oil'er question  (Read 19605 times)

shangrilalala

new walnut oil'er question
« on: July 14, 2006, 03:43:46 AM »

hi all!  I just (in the past couple days) switched from ELOO to walnut oil. I noticed the Walnut Oil has a distinctly nutty flavour which is unpleasant for me. Will this flavor hinder any progress, since the oil taken should be flavorless? Just wondering what other walnut oil takers thought....

thank you for your time and help!

lala

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
Re: new walnut oil'er question
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 05:13:19 AM »

yes, it should be flavorless. try refined walnut oil. Spectrum Organics sells this.

dcshock

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 09:32:49 AM »

Yes, see my new post on this under "Spectrum Walnut Oil vs. Haines". Both of these two oils are nearly flavorless but Spectrum IMO is far superior. Also, I have noticed walnut oil at the regular grocery store and it lists on the label " rich nutty flavor". That would rule it out for me.   

HillaryAnne

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 09:29:21 PM »

I've only just started, but I bought the Hain's walnut oil. It seems flavorless to me, I did the shot glass method chased by water. I was sick to my stomach the first day but was fine today. I have experienced very good appetite suppression so far.

Rockstar3

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 01:50:46 PM »

I started SLD three days ago. I decided to use walnut oil because of the omega-3 benefits. I find that if I just hold my breath while I take it and then breath through my mouth for a few breaths after I swallow there is very little taste. I guess it depends on how you are able to take the oil. I have no issues taking it right off a spoon, but I know that can be diffcult for others because of the texture.

Heidi 555

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 02:35:39 PM »

after I swallow there is very little taste
Make sure there is no taste at all.  Even a little taste can form a flavor calorie association.
It took 1 year of nose clipping
to lose 20 pounds (from about 140 to 120)
Dropped from size 8-10 to size 4
I'm 5' 4.5"

Read about my success nose clipping regular food instead of doing oil or sugar: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5903.

cjm

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 07:17:46 PM »

I have been on the diet for about 2 weeks now and have lost about 7 pounds using ELOO. I always hold my nose when taking it, however, because I can taste a slight nutty buttery flavor. This is even more pronounced in the walnut oil, even in the Spectrum Organics refined walnut oil, UPC 022506135109. Unlike with the ELOO, even holding my nose and gargling water does not immediately eliminate the flavor. The weight loss may be better and I'll certainly be open minded, but I don't think my results will be as good because of this flavor. I could use the nose clips I bought, but I am not sure how well they will work because I can sense a very strong rubbery smell which I cannot tolerate. In retrospect, I am sorry I made the purchase. I guess I'll just have to wait a few days to see the results of the transition to walnut oil.

Rockstar3

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 09:59:04 AM »

I have been plugging my nose with the WO and chasing it with water with good flavorless results for the most part. I have to hold my nose for quite a while afterwards to avoid ANY flavour.  I am however going to try a switch with ELOO soon. The WO consumption method is a little awkward at work.

ender

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 11:19:46 PM »

Tried ELOO for weeks, stomach was not so good.  Switched to refined walnut oil and no problems.  Though I did take 4 tbs all at once and had a bad few hours.  I've kept it to 2 servings of 2 tbs and have no problems.

Susie Q

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 04:02:58 AM »

I bought cold pressed walnut oil yesterday and began taking it while holding my nose.  I understand this is not flavorless oil, but how long can I take it and have it be effective?  I'm mixing 1.5 tbs with a little water, and then chasing it with more water, but still notice an aftertaste.  Does ELOO have Omega 3 benefits too?  I believe I am omega-3 deficient...

Oslo

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 06:07:38 AM »

I don't think a little aftertaste is a problem - walnut oil is a great choice !
Looking for a point of natural easy-to-maintain stability with a BMI 20-21.  Down from 23+.

Polaroid Doll

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 06:51:40 PM »

For the record, olive oil does indeed have omega 3's (and omega 6's). The extra virgin oil, although apparently not 'flavorless', has over 30 different antioxidants as well... An interesting questions is how many of the antioxidants remain after the multiple pressings/filtering of extra light olive oil; I would imagine that much of the 'flavor' is due to the compounds with antioxidant properties, and as such, the ELOO would have fewer health benefits than EVOO.

I will note however that I've had wonderful AS using EVOO on bread (and also with almonds), despite the flavors. I think it's the fat, rather than the lack of flavor, responsible for AS.

dcshock

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 06:18:28 AM »

I recently switched back to ELOO from WO because 1. I get better weight loss as well as AS with it  2. it is cheaper and available at routine grocery stores as opposed to health food stores  3. it is more portable (I use a small glass bottle  while on the road. I used to worry about the WO being in the car all day since I refrigerate the WO at home.  Also going into the switch decision was my recent attempts at including more Parent Essential Oils in my diet. This "parent" terminology comes from Brian Peskin who believes that a Huge overriding issue with the American diet is our use of processed EFAs. So apart from the ELOO I take for the SLD, I consume more unprocessed ALA and LA oils like grapeseed and hemp.  I also use fish oil in modest amounts and therefore do not need the additional Omega 3's in WO.

Phoebe

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 12:16:00 PM »

dcshock, I don't understand why ELOO would be any less processed than WO, but the more I read about oils and Omega 6s and 3s, PUFAs, MUFAs, etc., the more I wish I could stick my head in the sand and pretend I'd never heard about any of it.  I think there is a lot of controversy among "experts" about what oil is best.

For me, ELOO and Canola Oil made me sick, and Coconut Oil was just too tasty.  WO is so far giving me appetite suppression, and since it has Omega 3s, I assume it is doing some good for my body.  I don't eat meat or fish, and whatever flavorless SLD oil I choose also has to double as a "good health" oil.  Otherwise, I would be consuming too many daily calories to lose weight.

I think that oil choice is a very individual thing, and I am fairly dubious about most nutrition experts and their opinions.  Does anyone else remember when they were telling us to eat hydrogenated margerine?  :lol:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 10:17:07 AM by Phoebe »

dcshock

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 03:52:22 PM »

phoebe, I was practically raised on Freshman's Margarine and Crisco. ... As for the processed oils question, I'm sorry if I didn't state things too clearly. Sorry. My mention of "unprocessed oils" comes from my interest in certain scientist's work who are hunting for the reason many of us are fat, get cancer and have heart attacks. That is an issue apart from the SLD.  I sort of conjoined the two together and I didn't mean to.  I use highly processed ELOO for AS and have used refined WO in the past.  For unprocessed oils, I use hemp , flax, or pumpkinseed oil. These are all flavorful and can't be used on the SLD unless one NC's.  .... Yes, I too am trying to learn as much as I can about EFAs, MUFAs, PUFAs but I agree , it makes ones head spin.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18