Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Rich's progress down 8 lb. in 131 days (18+ weeks)

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Rich's progress down 8 lb. in 131 days (18+ weeks)  (Read 39357 times)

Rich

Re: Rich's progress down 7 lb. in 37 days
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2006, 08:59:54 AM »

June 6: 234 lb. +1 lb. from 1 day ago, -7 lb. from April 30 (37 days ago).

Today is more discouraging than yesterday. My graph shows a definite plateau and my seven day average shows an uptick (because I am 1 lb more than I was one week ago). However, it's impossible not to notice how my clothes are looser, so I guess things are okay. I just want instant gratification!

I have been taking 2.5 tbsp canola oil per day for the last couple of weeks. My plateau - if this is one - seems to have started around the time of that switch. I'll see what happens in the next week or so and maybe think about tweaking things.

Rich

Re: Rich's progress down 8 lb. in 39 days
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2006, 07:56:03 AM »

June 8: 233 lb. -1 lb. from 2 days ago, -8 lb. from April 30 (39 days ago)

Plateau: Overall I have not lost any weight in two weeks. This is a little discouraging. Yesterday I took 3 tbsp. of canola oil instead of my usual 2.5 tbsp. But now I'm reading that some people kick start their weight loss by cutting down on the oil. Maybe I'm taking too much. My BMI is 30, and I certainly have some fat on me, but also a decent amount of muscle.

Rich

Re: Rich's progress down 12 lb. in 40 days
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2006, 10:03:52 AM »

June 9: 229 lb. -4 lb. from 1 day ago, -12 lb. from April 30 (40 days ago)

I also weighed myself at my gym after exercising and I was 227.4 lb. I'm sticking with 229, but it is fun to think I'm down nearly 14 lb from about 6 weeks ago.

After complaining for three days about a plateau, today was encouraging. I take 2.5 tbsp/day of canola normally, but two days ago I took 3 tbsp. Yesterday I snacked less and didn't even eat dinner because I was busy until 9pm and at that point I didn't feel like cooking or having anything. I fully anticipate bouncing back up a couple of pounds, but today's data point is a nice one.

Rich

Re: Rich's progress down 9 lb. in 44 days
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2006, 10:08:05 AM »

June 13: 232 lb., +3 lb from 4 days ago, -9 lb. from April 30 (44 days ago)

Trend still down: I ate quite a bit this weekend and only took a total of 2.5 Tbsp canola over the 2 days, but my seven day moving average is still at a minimum. Here's an overview of my progress on the plan over the past 6+ weeks.

First 2 weeks: I was all over the place from a high of 242 to a low of 232.
Next 1.5 weeks: 235 lb.
Next 2 weeks: 233 lb,
Past week: 232 lb.

My progress has been gradual and I've never had the dramatic loss of appetite that the book describes. I am concerned that people drop off the plan too quickly when they find that they still have an appetite. They may think it's not working. It's hard to notice a difference in eating of a few hundred calories a day until the deficit accumulates for several weeks, but some people are not patient.

Will

• Today is a good day to diet.
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2006, 11:38:48 AM »

My progress has been gradual and I've never had the dramatic loss of appetite that the book describes. I am concerned that people drop off the plan too quickly when they find that they still have an appetite. They may think it's not working. It's hard to notice a difference in eating of a few hundred calories a day until the deficit accumulates for several weeks, but some people are not patient.

I think this is the biggest concern with any diet.  People tend to become easily discouraged and give up when any kind of plateau or slowdown starts to occur.  People tend to have innaccurate ideas of how fast you can/should lose weight.  People misunderstand that weight does not equal fat, so if you are lifting weights or exercising your weight could be edging up even though your fat level is dropping.  Like most things in the human condition, it is more complicated than it initially seems.
I wouldn't care if the scale said 400 lbs, if I looked like Brad Pitt.

Stephen M (Ethesis)

• http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2006, 08:29:35 PM »

I think this is the biggest concern with any diet.  People tend to become easily discouraged and give up when any kind of plateau or slowdown starts to occur.  People tend to have innaccurate ideas of how fast you can/should lose weight.  People misunderstand that weight does not equal fat, so if you are lifting weights or exercising your weight could be edging up even though your fat level is dropping.  Like most things in the human condition, it is more complicated than it initially seems.

The real reason people give up at plateaus is that in a classical diet, once you hit the plateau, you've hit the failure stage.  A classic diet works because you are changing the flavors and types of food you are eating.  When the change wears off, then you plateau.  Then the yo-yo kicks in and you are in full fledged failure.

In this method, a plateau is just a plateau.  I've lost about 63 pounds (down another half pound this morning).  The last forty pounds lost, about half of the time in the last five months (I've been on seven months today) has been spent on plateaus.

I was kind of depressed at the start of this week, another 3-4 days of a plateau, when I realized that I'd lost almost ten pounds in the last month (actually ten pounds in 33 days). While my weight loss has varied, from 15 to 5 pounds a month, it is usually about eight pounds a month.  The plateaus cause me to lose sight of that, which is why keeping a record is so important to me.

But, plateaus don't mean failure in the Shangri-la diet.  Often they seem to be just water retention, as people often lose belt sizes during them (I did on the last plateau, which was strange).

Also, it is important to realize that many people lose 2-3 pounds a month on the diet, so a little bit of fluctuation or water retention can mask a lot.  A pint of water, two cups, is one pound.

Keep it up.

Rich

Re: Rich's progress down 12 lb. in 47 days
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2006, 10:08:02 AM »

June 16: 229 lb. -3 lb. from 3 days ago, -12 lb. from April 30 (47 days ago)

I'm definitely back to losing weight and I now feel more appetite reduction. Two nights ago I didn't eat anything in the evening and last night I had only a small snack after not snacking at all during the day. On most days I find myself completely satisfied at breakfast with just a single bowl of cereal. This does not  feel like dieting!

McDonald's Fries: I had a completely unique experience yesterday. While out for a lunchtime walk, I stopped at McDonald's and grabbed a side salad and a small fries to go with my lunch. I got back to my office and got distracted. By the time I remembered and went for the fries they were completely cold and I only had a few before tossing the rest. I have never "forgotten" about McDonald's fries before.

Rich

Re: Rich's progress down 10 lb. in 50 days
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2006, 08:56:28 AM »

June 19: 231 lb. +2 lb. from 3 days ago, -10 lb. from April 30 (50 days ago)

Up a bit from the weekend, but that seems typical. I weigh in at slightly different times on the weekends compared to weekdays. I'm down 1 lb. from last Monday.

Telling people: At a Father's day gathering someone finally noticed that I had been losing weight, so I decided to explain how. I said that I'd show them how I am losing weight. I then poured just over 1 cup of canola oil into a measuring cup and said that I drink this every week to lose weight. (I consume 2.5 Tbsp. per day). I explained the plan and got surprisingly few questions. I did recommend (1) starting with 1 tsp oil at a time for the first couple of days and building up to whatever dose is desired and (2) trying the plan for 6 weeks before making any conclusion about it.

Stephen M (Ethesis)

Re: Rich's progress down 12 lb. in 47 days
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2006, 08:11:45 PM »

June 16: 229 lb. -3 lb. from 3 days ago, -12 lb. from April 30 (47 days ago)

I'm definitely back to losing weight and I now feel more appetite reduction. Two nights ago I didn't eat anything in the evening and last night I had only a small snack after not snacking at all during the day. On most days I find myself completely satisfied at breakfast with just a single bowl of cereal. This does not  feel like dieting!

McDonald's Fries: I had a completely unique experience yesterday. While out for a lunchtime walk, I stopped at McDonald's and grabbed a side salad and a small fries to go with my lunch. I got back to my office and got distracted. By the time I remembered and went for the fries they were completely cold and I only had a few before tossing the rest. I have never "forgotten" about McDonald's fries before.

Neat about the fries.  I ended up forgetting about the Panucchi my mother-in-law sent me for Christmas.

I find my weight goes in a cycle, including plateaus spaced with weight loss.  I'm comfortable with it, but it took me several months of it before I was ready to believe in things.

Rich

Re: Rich's progress down 8 lb. in 51 days
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2006, 02:11:35 PM »

June 20: 233 lb. +1 lb. from 1 day ago. -8 lb. from April 30 (51 days ago)

Up again. I'm in a bit of a rebound situation here. My appetite was high yesterday and I ate a lot. I'm not concerned. I may increase my canola dose from 2.5 Tbsp. to 3.0 Tbsp tomorrow. I have done that in the past when I've plateaued or gone up and it has a noticeable effect. I'm still down 1 lb. per week using a plan I can keep doing indefinitely.

Rich

Re: Rich's progress down 8 lb. in 51 days
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2006, 05:24:25 PM »

My french fries story made the front page (Hot off the forums)

I guess Seth is reading my stuff after all! Now I'll try to stop being so repetitive.

Rich

Re: Rich's progress down 12 lb. in 54 days (7+ weeks)
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2006, 07:55:58 AM »

June 23: 229 lb. -4 lb. from 3 days ago, -12 lb. from April 30, 54 days ago.

I've hit a bit of a plateau in the past week or so, but I'm less concerned about that than I was earlier.

I had to go through my closet and find some pants that fit better since my previous ones were looking pretty loose.

I bought a second copy of this book for someone and loaned out my copy to yet someone else. I wanted to spread the word, but not until I tried the plan for myself and saw that it worked.

Rich

Re: Rich's progress down 13 lb. in 57 days (8+ weeks)
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2006, 10:10:46 AM »

June 26: 228 lb. -1 lb. from 3 days ago, -13 lb. from April 30, 57 days ago.

On Saturday I had a very large dinner (well, very large for me now), but on Sunday I ate very little. My dinner plate looked pretty meager, although after I ate I was quite satisfied. Also on Saturday I bought some brewpub beer that I particularly like. I still haven't had any of it yet! Maybe tonight. Which brings up:

Groceries: I am still not completely accustomed to eating less. It's a little hard to buy the correct amount of food and avoid having stuff go bad before I get around to eating it.

Rich

Re: Rich's progress down 9 lb. in 60 days (8+ weeks)
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2006, 08:02:55 AM »

June 29: 232 lb. +4 lb. from 3 days ago, -9 lb. from April 30, 60 days ago.

My appetite has increased a bit, although last night I didn't eat dinner after having a very large lunch. I might be on a bit of a plateau, but the noisy data makes it hard to tell for sure.

Rich

Re: Rich's progress down 12 lb. in 65 days (9+ weeks)
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2006, 07:02:52 AM »

July 4: 229 lb. -3 lb. from 5 days ago, -12 lb. from April 30, 65 days ago.

Wednesday's Weight: After 229 lb. yesterday, I weighed in this morning at a whopping 234. I decided to post yesterday's number. I have definitely plateaued for the past three weeks. Part of the problem, I think, is that I've been having many "special" dinners and cookouts and stuff like that. I hope to get back on a more normal diet soon.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18