Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Rich's progress down 8 lb. in 131 days (18+ weeks)

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Rich's progress down 8 lb. in 131 days (18+ weeks)  (Read 40210 times)

Rich

Re: Rich's progress down 9 lb. in 68 days (9+ weeks)
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2006, 11:45:51 AM »

July 7: 232 lb. +3 lb. from 3 days ago, -9 lb. from April 30, 68 days ago.

3 Week Plateau: I've measured 1 lb. lower in each of the past 2 days, which is nice. But I've lost no weight overall in three weeks. My 7 day moving average is up 1.5 lb. from 2 weeks ago.

I guess the nice thing about this plan is that it's so easy to just keep going with it despite the apparent lack of recent progress.

Rich

Re: Rich's progress down 10 lb. in 71 days (10 weeks)
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2006, 11:09:19 AM »

July 10: 231 lb. -1 lb. from 3 days ago, -10 lb. from April 30, 71 days ago.

Saturday for the first time I took my full 2.5 tbsp of canola in one dose because I didn't know if I would be able to take a second dose conveniently during the rest of the day. My body handled it just fine, so I may do that more in the future.

Rich

Re: Rich's progress down 10 lb. in 74 days (10+ weeks)
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2006, 07:41:03 AM »

July 13: 231 lb. +0 lb. from 3 days ago, -10 lb. from April 30, 74 days ago.

No Net Loss: Based on my 7-day moving average, I've had no net weight loss since June 17, 26 days ago.

Intraday Weight Loss: Yesterday morning I weighed an unusually high 235 lb., (rounded from 234.6) my highest reading since May 23, 51 days ago. So I skipped breakfast and fluids and did my daily exercise. By early afternoon I weighed 230 lb. (rounded from 230.4 on a different scale) so I have recorded that lower number for yesterday.

Single Large Dose: I continue to take my 2.5 Tbsp of canola in one dose when I wake up. I have had no ill effects from canola oil

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
Re: Rich's progress down 10 lb. in 74 days (10+ weeks)
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2006, 11:58:43 AM »

A month without weight loss can be a plateau. Two months, however, you may have reached the limits of what you are doing. I would expect more weight loss from 2.5 T of oil  but there is lots of variation from one person to the next. If you think you have levelled off for good there are at least two options I would suggest:

1. increase the oil by 1 T

2. start consuming randomly flavored calories. Any food you want -- the more nutritious the better. The more calories the better.

Rich

Re: Rich's progress down 11 lb. in 77 days (11 weeks)
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2006, 08:45:35 AM »

July 16: 230 lb. -1 lb. from 3 days earlier, -11 lb. from April 30, 77 days ago.

Still no net loss since June 17, but I think I'm back on the downward track. In the past month I gained 2 lb. and subsequently lost 1 lb.

My weight may seem high, and my weight loss may seem modest, but I'm tall, somewhat muscular, and I think few people would consider me substantially overweight. Losing 1 lb. per week is fine with me. I'd like to lose another 15-20 lb.

Thanks for the suggestions, Seth. I will consider these if my weight loss does stall for another month.

Rich

Re: Rich's progress down 8 lb. in 80 days (11+ weeks)
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2006, 03:34:57 PM »

July 19: 233 lb. +3 lb. from 3 days ago. -8 lb. from April 30 (80 days ago)

Plateau? Still no net loss since mid-June. However, I feel like my belt is marginally looser than a couple of weeks ago. I also reiterate that this method is so easy that it doesn't make sense to me to do anything other than continue.

Spicing? I experimented a little with some crazy spicing. I grabbed three or four spices and added them to my leftover homemade spaghetti. I added some other spices to my salad. I don't know if that's crazy enough for Seth, who seems to recommend three or more spice blends, rather than just three spices. But it can't hurt.

More Oil? I've been taking 2.5 Tbsp canola oil per day for a long time. I may take Seth's suggestion and add an additional 1 Tbsp dose at mid-morning. Since I run 2+ miles per day, maybe I need more flavorless calories to see a greater effect.

Mush? I am also fascinated with the Beneke mush method and I might have to give that a try at some point. Thanks to porkypine for the neat photos.

Rich

Re: Rich's progress down 11 lb. in 82 days (11+ weeks)
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2006, 09:21:12 AM »

July 21: 230 lb. -3 lb. from 2 days ago. -11 lb. from April 30 (82 days ago)

I wanted to update my results from 2 days ago. I don't really have anything new to say today.

Rich

Re: Rich's progress down 10 lb. in 86 days (12+ weeks)
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2006, 08:46:09 AM »

July 25: 231 lb. +1 lb. from 4 days ago. -10 lb. from April 30 (86 days ago)

I still have no net loss since mid-June, but in the past few days I've been feeling noticeably less hungry.

New low: On Sunday I managed to get my weight down to 227, a new low since I started this plan. That was after skipping my usual breakfast and exercising. I believe I might be starting to lose again.

Added water to oil: I've been a little concerned about the flavor of the oil. It doesn't taste completely flavorless to me. So In the past couple of weeks I've taken my oil as follows:

1. Drink water, but don't swallow it
2. Pour oil on top of the water
3. Swallow combination
4. Drink some more water

This seems to eliminate all or nearly all of the taste. I think it enhances the effect of the oil and accounts for some of my recent lack of appetite.

Crazy Spicing: I am spicing some of my food in random ways, especially lunch leftovers. I don't use all that much, but I think it's also helping and accounts for some of my recent lack of appetite. I have about 20 different spices. I think I need a little more variety.

Yesterday I went out for a big dinner. I really wanted to clean my plate, but I just couldn't. Six months ago that would not have been true. Even two weeks ago I think I could have managed to eat it all.

jam

« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2006, 09:05:47 AM »

I put a little sugar/fructose on the back of my tongue, pour the oil in and swallow it all at once. Then wash it all down with water. The sugar pretty much masks the oil taste for me. Half a teaspoon is enough.

frenata

• mustela frenata
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2006, 09:07:00 AM »

Whoa, Rich. You have definitely earned the SLD Patience Award. And a big gold star. And an icecream.

Okay, scratch the icecream.

I've had slow weight loss lately, too, but I haven't been tempted to quit. It's easy, it's cheap, it's working (however slowly) and there are other benefits. I am feeling no pain.

This morning, I made Frenata's version of Seth's protein drink. We'll see if that helps. It's lunchtime and I'm not even interested in soup. Which is a little sad, as I've got a ton of work on at the moment and that pathetic little bowl of soup was my one bright spot every day.
Running weight tally:

Rich

Re: Rich's progress down 11 lb. in 91 days (13 weeks)
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2006, 01:56:41 PM »

July 30: 230 lb. -1 lb. from 5 days ago. -11 lb. from April 30 (91 days ago)

Three months for me.

I guess I'm plateaued, but I am considering doing one or more of the following:

1. Beneke method
2. Nose Clips
3. Add 1 Tbsp more oil per day

I am a bit reluctant to add more oil because it seems as though it would not be very nutritious.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 09:50:26 AM by Rich »

Rich

Re: Rich's progress down 11 lb. in 94 days (13+ weeks)
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2006, 08:33:41 AM »

Aug 2: 230 lb. +0 lb. from 3 days ago. -11 lb. from April 30 (94 days ago)

Losing Slowly? I think I'm still losing weight, but very slowly. I haven't done any of the three enhancements I talked about Saturday. I've had four consecutive readings at 230 lb., and after exercising one day I actually got the gym scale to show a number in the 226.x range.

Skeptics: I read the Olympian article Seth pointed us to. I am disappointed at how dietary "experts" so readily dismiss this plan without even attempting to explain why the underlying idea is wrong. I read Seth's book and the MR/Freakonomics postings that led up to the book and thought the underlying idea sounded at least plausible. Skepticism is certainly appropriate, but this plan has shown some promising results.

I'm a software developer. If someone were to come along with a provocative argument that some disfavored programming practice could be tweaked slightly and would then result in substantial productivity gains, I'd naturally be skeptical. (Use more 'goto' statements, program five times faster!)

But if several disinterested people had actually tried the new programming idea and had documented their productivity increases, I think that would merit some further investigation. That's where things are with the Shangri La Diet, except that it's far easier to measure weight than it is to measure programming productivity.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 09:50:43 AM by Rich »

Rich

Re: Rich's progress down 12 lb. in 96 days (13+ weeks)
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2006, 09:49:10 AM »

Aug 4: 229 lb. -1 lb. from 3 days ago. -12 lb. from April 30 (96 days ago)

Nothing particularly interesting to report today. I'm continuing to lose slowly without making any changes. I still take 2.5 Tbsp. canola in the morning, although when my current (enormous) jug of oil runs out I might try one of those with more omega 3s.

Rich

Re: Rich's progress down 12 lb. in 100 days (14+ weeks)
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2006, 08:02:08 AM »

Aug 8: 229 lb. +0 lb. from 4 days ago. -12 lb. from April 30 (100 days ago)

I'm posting today because I've reached the 100 day milestone. 1000 days here I come!

Stephen M (Ethesis)

• http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
    • http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
Re: Rich's progress down 12 lb. in 100 days (14+ weeks)
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2006, 10:12:03 AM »

Aug 8: 229 lb. +0 lb. from 4 days ago. -12 lb. from April 30 (100 days ago)

I'm posting today because I've reached the 100 day milestone. 1000 days here I come!

Congrats!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18