Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Rich's progress down 8 lb. in 131 days (18+ weeks)

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Rich's progress down 8 lb. in 131 days (18+ weeks)  (Read 40020 times)

Rich

Rich's progress down 8 lb. in 131 days (18+ weeks)
« on: May 05, 2006, 12:08:35 PM »

I started Sunday April 30.  Male, 6' 2", 36 years old. I do strenuous exercise for 2 hours a week, reliably but that exercise was not enough to keep from regaining 30 pounds I lost about 3 years ago.

For 2 days I took 165 cal (11 tsp) of sucrose water in 2 doses. Since then I am taking 120 cal (1 Tbsp) of ELOO in the morning and 45 cal (3 tsp) of sucrose water some other time.

April 30: 241 lb (BMI 31)
May 5: 236 lb (BMI just over 30)

I don't believe I've lost 5 pounds of fat so far. I would prefer to lose 1-2 pounds per week, after the first week.

I am also trying to make changes such as eating better and more varied foods. I am grabbing random spices off my spice rack and using them on my meals to vary the flavor. That has had the side effect of making my food taste better and more interesting.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 10:50:33 AM by Rich »

Rich

Re: Rich's progress
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 08:38:19 AM »

May 8: 237 lb.

I ate a little more junk food this weekend than I'd like, but overall I'm eating much better. Unless I'm within the two hour window, I remind myself that I can eat if I'm hungry. Late one night I had some tortilla chips. Ordinarily I might eat half a bag, but this time I had one handful, telling myself I'd go back for more if I was still hungry. I never made it back. It's a nice change. I am pleased with 4 pounds in a week.

Rich

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 11:45:14 AM »

May 10: 238 lb. +2 lb from May 5.

Weight Gain: I'm not particularly worried about going up a couple of pounds just yet. I am still taking 165 cal of oil/sucrose daily. I am considering increasing my oil intake.

Appetite: I'm not seeing the dramatic loss of appetite that the book talks about. I still want to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Overall I think I'm eating better foods and less food, although I did eat a decent size bag of potato chips on Monday. I didn't enjoy it quite as much, though.

(Not) Telling other people: I have decided to keep this program to myself for the time being. I wonder how many other people are trying this, but keeping it to themselves until they see concrete results. If I do lose a lot (>20 lbs), I'll be telling several people about it, but not before I see results myself.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 08:16:10 AM by Rich »

splitbamboo

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 01:23:45 PM »

(Not) Telling other people: I have decided to keep this program to myself for the time being. I wonder how many other people are trying this, but keeping it to themselves until they see concrete results. If I do lose a lot (>20 lbs), I'll be telling several people about it, but not before I see things to myself.

I'm in the same boat. Not really appealing to 'fess up to the fact that I'm ingesting 4 tablespoons of straight oil a day. I'd like to get some weight off before I talk with others about this. It is kind of hilarious what I do to not talk about it. My 8 year old wanted to know why there was cooking oil in the trunk. My wife was wondering why there was a teaspoon in the car (I bought a set of measuring spoons when I bought the oil and only needed the tablespoon measure). I had some baggies of sugar in my glove box for a while and was wondering what I would say if I were to get pulled over and have to get my registration. And speaking of glove box, it (and the registration) is covered in oil because the lid leaked.

Oh well, I'm optimistic. Four days and down 3.5 lbs...

David

joyful

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 02:31:54 PM »

I'm in the same boat. Not really appealing to 'fess up to the fact that I'm ingesting 4 tablespoons of straight oil a day. I'd like to get some weight off before I talk with others about this. It is kind of hilarious what I do to not talk about it. My 8 year old wanted to know why there was cooking oil in the trunk. My wife was wondering why there was a teaspoon in the car (I bought a set of measuring spoons when I bought the oil and only needed the tablespoon measure). I had some baggies of sugar in my glove box for a while and was wondering what I would say if I were to get pulled over and have to get my registration. And speaking of glove box, it (and the registration) is covered in oil because the lid leaked.

Oh well, I'm optimistic. Four days and down 3.5 lbs...

David

That is hilarious, David.   :lol:  I can relate! 

I haven't told anyone as of yet either.  I just think people would look at me like I had lost it.  I want the results to speak for themselves, in time, and then when it's obvious that something is going right I'll start directing them to how it's happening.

Rich

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 03:31:57 PM »

Keeping secrets: Geez, David, you're going to be busted. Four measly days and already you're getting peppered with questions about oil in the trunk and teaspoons and the like. Actually I reread my post and I'm misstating things. My girlfriend and I are both doing the diet and it was her idea not to tell anyone. I agreed with that. We have the oil at home and both of us use sugar packets from work during the workday. Neither of us has told anyone what we're up to. So we can talk about the program with each other, but just not to other people.

More sugar: I got to thinking about my appetite. I wonder if I'm not taking enough flavorless calories to feel a strong effect. I was taking 165 cal because I think that's what the book recommended if you wanted to lose 20 pounds or less. But if I recall correctly Prof. Roberts was taking 6 Tbsp of fructose at the start - about 300 calories, I think. So today I'm taking 1 Tbsp ELOO and 12 tsp sucrose for a total of 300 calories.

David and the drug war:  You're right to be concerned about baggies of sugar in the glove compartment. The drug warriors have not heard of the Shangri La Diet and they are not kidding. You could have found yourself answering some very pointed questions about just what the hell you're carrying in this car. If I were you I'd switch to sugar packets.

DirkVA

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 06:01:59 PM »

All this secrecy couldn't be more unlike my case. I am so happy over the changes I'm experiencing that people ask me why I'm in such a mood. When I tell them every single one of them has been interested, supportive, and/or eager to try the "diet" themselves. If my friends were the type who would look at me as though I was crazy for trying a reasonable means of improving my health, I might think of getting some other friends.

Dixie_Amazon

• Using Coconut Oil
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 04:08:02 AM »

I posted about the diet over at http://www.SparkPeople.com and you would of thought I joined a cult!  :lol: I'll post again today... with my weight loss results.
Dennise with 2 n's

Rich

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 08:38:26 AM »

May 11: 236 lb., -2 lb. from yesterday, -5 lb. since April 30.

Appetite: My lunch yesterday was pretty big by Shangri La standards. After lunch, I took 3 more Tbsp of sucrose in water, for a total of 300 cal of oil and sugar, up from 165 cal on prior days. That caused a marked reduction in my appetite. I felt full until 9:00pm. I ended up having a pretty good sized dinner, but I did zero snacking throughout the day, just breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I cannot remember the last time I did that. I think I'm going to stick with 300 cal per day unless I'm losing weight too quickly.

Purchases: Bought some granulated fructose and a shot glass with measurements on the side to use for measuring it. I'm going to try that as my sugar source for today.

Rich

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 09:51:59 AM »

May 16: 235 lb., -1 lb. from 5 days ago, -6 lb. since April 30 (16 days ago).

Weight: I was as low as 232 at one point during the past week. I'm very satisfied with the results so far.

Appetite: I have reduced snacking, but I still enjoy some junk food. I'm adding varying spices to my meals and cook more. I had a couple of large meals in the past few days, but I'd have to say I'm still eating less than I used to. I used ELOO for the past three days. Sugar seems to have a stronger effect. I will be trying canola oil very soon because my ELOO is about to run out.

Fructose: It's rather sticky, making it harder to measure. I am probably going back to sucrose when my current supply runs out.

Rich

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 02:47:55 PM »

May 17: 235 lb., unchanged from 1 day ago, -6 lb. since April 30 (17 days ago).

Appetite: My appetite appears to have returned despite 1.5 Tbsp ELOO and 3 Tbsp. sugar in each of the past couple of days. I wonder if the ELOO has a slight flavor for me. It seems to taste better now than it used to. I'm switcing to canola to see if that has a different effect. I also exercise vigorously for about 2 hours total per week and I've noticed other people saying that exercise may throw things off a bit.

DirkVA

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 06:12:20 PM »

Rich, I wonder if you're like me in this: I keep thinking my appetite has returned, also. But if I analyze what I have actually eaten (as opposed to how I feel about it), I find I have eaten a hugely reduced amount from my former norm. Feelings about food and cold reason are, for me, vastly different matters.

Rich

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 07:41:55 AM »

May 18: 233 lb., -2 lb. from 1 day ago, -8 lb. since April 30 (18 days ago)

Dirk: I think you're correct. I did snack yesterday (about 8 Oreos, yum!) and had a good sized lunch, but my dinner was fairly normal size. I think my exercise is causing me to eat more than I otherwise would, so I can't physically get by with a half a banana in a day, as some people talk about. As long as I'm losing weight I'm not particularly worried.

DirkVA

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 08:43:54 AM »

And, as they say in the 12-Step programs:

Progress not Perfection

(at least not yet)!

Stephen M (Ethesis)

• http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
    • http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2006, 07:33:02 AM »

And, as they say in the 12-Step programs:

Progress not Perfection

(at least not yet)!

Also, carry sugar cubes instead of sugar in baggies, or buy the cases of office coffee sugar and just keep one with you.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18