Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Back again, after a while off.

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Back again, after a while off.  (Read 26107 times)

go2grl

Re: Since 6-1-06: 178 to 150
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2007, 09:54:40 PM »

150 for the first time in 20 years!! AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!    That's worthy of an entry in the Milestones section, I think.  :D   Zerimar - you've really stuck with it and are doing great - keep it up! :D :D
Living La Vida SLD!

zerimar

Re: AS Lost and Found
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2007, 05:25:20 PM »

I saw 149 in January, only once.  My weight hovered around 153 for months, and I reduced the oil by half, alarm clock only.  For the last six weeks my weight has crept up, hovering around 160.  AS seemed lost, but I wasn't sure.  I felt like I was eating against my will. Weird, but I felt angry at the concept of will power, because it felt like I had no will.

I made some adjustments, decided to be conscious of wanting to get to my goal, and not just maintain my weight.  I was inspired by  the post about using oatmeal.  That didn't change anything for me.  Then I nose clipped graham crackers dunked in milk. It worked.

Not sure about AS?  I have learned, when I have AS, there's no doubt about!  Been drinking water steadily--like the early days of SLD.  And not eating things that stray into my path--against my will.  It's easy to walk away.  It's not will power, it's SLD.  Progress report later.

Zerimar

I started June 1, 2006

losing-it

« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2007, 05:32:46 PM »

Good to hear from you, zerimar. Do whatever it takes. I usually add protein powder to my NC oatmeal. Interesting about the NC graham crackers and milk. Why not!

Greenwood

« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2007, 02:02:51 AM »

For the last six weeks my weight has crept up, hovering around 160.  AS seemed lost, but I wasn't sure.  I felt like I was eating against my will. Weird, but I felt angry at the concept of will power, because it felt like I had no will.

Zerimar

I've just been realizing the same thing about AS. It was no problem in the beginning and AS was remarkable for me (I started in January 07) but around May things changed. I kept up with the oil as usual, and over the summer I tried many things to fire it all up again, but was convinced the AS had disappeared. Then one day last week I decided I would just see how long I could go without eating and realized that AS was still with me and now I'm back on track with it.
It seems to have just been a habit thing- and like you note above- eating even when I didn't really want to. 
Now I try to see every day how far I can get with the AS and remark on how little I actually need rather than how much I can eat and not gain.

Keep us posted zerimar on how it's going!l
Female, age 40: started January 20, 2007

zerimar

« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2007, 10:24:23 AM »

I keep tweaking, to try to get back to the comfortable place I was before.  Effortless AS, and slow steady weight loss. The recent posts about NC protein and/or mush, have been interesting.  I may try that again.  I am currently doing a couple of things that have slowly reversed the upward trend. I've lost 1-2 lbs--not sure exactly because I'm travelling and away from my trusty scale + routine.  I gave up the graham crackers--I think they caused a blood sugar rise and drop that was not so good.

I am avoiding carbs, especially refined flour and sugar. This seems to help with AS, and since I have sugar issues it seems like a good idea.  I'm not quite to the Atkins level of carb avoidance, but I'm focusing on protein and vegies.

I mixed up some of "Todd's Oil Milk" which helps me take the oil somehow.  I never gagged on oil but I started to feel like I was taking in too many empty calories. I started to feel negative about taking the oil, so this change has been good.  Here's the post where the recipe is: http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=5782.0.  I use Walnut Oil and bought flavorless lecithin granules.  The hand mixer I had at home works fine.  I take about 6 oz. when I wake up, about 330 kcal?, and have a light lunch and a regular size low carb dinner. 

I started June 1, 2006

zerimar

« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2008, 11:27:56 PM »

Still here, amazed to  have managed to keep off much of the weight I lost so easily in the first few months of SLD.  AS became elusive after a while, though I was diligent about am oil.  I think I fell off on taking afternoon oil.  After reading Gary Taubes' book, (Seth's blog has links to his lecture and he's posting a lengthy conversation/interview)
I am being more serious about avoiding starchy carbs and sweets.  I also feel better about having my SLD oil take up a pretty high percentage of my daily nutrients.  Eating vegetables and vitamins, and keeping my blood sugar completely stable.  I feel great and great about what I'm eating. I take the Tim's milk version of my Walnut oil and I even use it in my tea.  I gave up my daily 16 oz drip coffee--thinking the caffeine load was too much.  So, I started at 178, am now at 159, and hoping to lose the last 15 pounds with low carb SLD. 

I started June 1, 2006

losing-it

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2008, 08:07:05 AM »

Still here, amazed to  have managed to keep off much of the weight I lost so easily in the first few months of SLD.  AS became elusive after a while, though I was diligent about am oil.  I think I fell off on taking afternoon oil.  After reading Gary Taubes' book, (Seth's blog has links to his lecture and he's posting a lengthy conversation/interview)
I am being more serious about avoiding starchy carbs and sweets.  I also feel better about having my SLD oil take up a pretty high percentage of my daily nutrients.  Eating vegetables and vitamins, and keeping my blood sugar completely stable.  I feel great and great about what I'm eating. I take the Tim's milk version of my Walnut oil and I even use it in my tea.  I gave up my daily 16 oz drip coffee--thinking the caffeine load was too much.  So, I started at 178, am now at 159, and hoping to lose the last 15 pounds with low carb SLD. 

You're still doing great zerimar. I'm still here, too, but fell off the wagon for awhile. 6 lbs and 6" up, now at 170 lbs, I'm committing to the second half of my weight loss and fitness goal again, as of today -- getting back to oil, low carb. Good luck to you (and to me  :P )

zerimar

I'm back, starting over.
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2011, 07:29:43 PM »

Okay, about three years have passed since I tried SLD and I am back where I started, 178.  Roughly.  I lost 28 lbs my first year, 2006, then kept it off for awhile, (> a year?).  It's been creeping up steadily and I went from no afternoon oil, to no afternoon or morning oil.  So I am not really plugging along like I said before. I am back, and I am starting over. I know SLD works.  But it is hard to get it started again the whole gangbusters way it worked when I started in May of 2006. Almost instant AS and fast weight loss.

I decided that there was a relationship between my posting and reading messages and my weight loss.  So I am posting and reading again.  Also, a dear friend has started, and I want to encourage her and accompany her on her SLD journey. So for about a week I have been doing am and pm oil conscientiously.  I will start bringing fruit and lunch to work, as a way of avoiding the $10 lunch traps that lurk around my office. And I hope to see the AS I found at the beginning when SLD was the only "diet" that ever worked for me.  :-\

I started June 1, 2006

zerimar

Back again, starting over
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2011, 08:06:30 PM »

This evening, after 2 conscientious doses of Walnut Oil, and posting for the first time in years, my AS is very good.  My daytime eating was on the low side and I had 2 tblsp of oil before coming home from work.  I have not had my usual irresistible glass+ of red wine, nor much to eat: a few strawberries this evening, and that's it!  Maybe the magic is starting again.  I am torn about the wine because I have convinced myself it does more harm than good--the first glass anyway.  I was worried about the tendency to have a 2nd glass.  So overall, no wine is probably a good thing. And it bodes well for losing weight.  We'll see.

I started June 1, 2006

zerimar

Re: Back again, after a while off.
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2011, 04:35:52 PM »

I took my oil with the alam clock at about 6 am and I brought my lunch to work again. So far, so good.  I  want to take my 2nd dose of oil before leaving work, but I felt reluctant this afternoon.  I had a hard day and wanted a snack instead of a food free hour followed by oil.  So I compromised by having yogurt, blueberries and protein supplement--all noseclipped.  It was at least the same number of flavorless calories as the oil. There is something about taking the oil during the day that makes me reluctant.  This time around I will be more conscious of that and figure out why or what workaround I used back in 2006. 

I started June 1, 2006

zerimar

« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2011, 03:55:08 PM »

I continue, seeking AS and getting it. I think I started to get serious (again) on about June 1st.  (About five years after the beginning of my successful SLD experience of losing 28 lbs.)  Now I want to lose more  than 28 lbs and learn to keep the weight off.  In retrospect reading and posting on the forums was an integral part of weight loss success. I was a bit obsessed when I did it in 2006, I checked the forums multiple times daily and got to "know" some of the characters posting on the board.  So I am pushing myself to read posts--and finding great information, gems of wisdom and inspiration. Currently I am experimenting with sesame oil/CLA for the post-menopausal midsection. http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=7251.0   Just starting out on that but the information and comments, as always on this forum, were thoughtful and enlightening.  So after about two weeks of being serious again, walnut oil 2x/day, I have gone from 179.6 to 174.2.  I'm hopeful and glad to be back.

I started June 1, 2006

fbnops

« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2011, 04:37:30 AM »

Keeping it off is my biggest concern also. Like you, I lost a lot of weight at one-time and gained it back. Many people I know personally have done the same thing. I think you're right that it has a lot to do with the "obsession". How to keep or rekindle that obsession may be the key to sustained loss.

zerimar

« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2011, 02:36:35 PM »

Yeah, there is a mental trick to sticking to it, day to day and in the long run.  I want to be able to get thin and be "normal", like the thin people I know who never have to think about their weight or their food. I think that urge caused me to resist taking oil or whatever worked last time I was successful on SLD.  It is irrational--because I found an easy, painless way to lose weight. I think that's the task this time: to develop habits that stick, and to function in a way that doesn't feel obsessive...? 

Still sticking to it now.  Using oil and chia seeds, about 400 cal/day.  Plenty of AS.  I am able to skip the evening wine, or have a glass if I feel like it. And overall having smaller and fewer meals. Today I ignored the customary pastries that adorn the lunchroom at work. Didn't even look good to me.  (I am back in Shangri-la!) 

I started June 1, 2006

zerimar

« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2011, 08:26:53 PM »

Sometimes I have AS but SLD doesn't work for me in a particular situation. Today started as an SLD day.  Oil and Chia seeds with the alarm clock. Salad at lunch with bread instead of a gooey sandwich. I prefer to bring my lunch but was too distracted and late this morning to bring lunch to work, but I made a good choice.  All was fine til about 4:45 pm and I was resisting my afternoon oil.  I had a yogurt/bluberry /protein/walnut oil smoothy instead--nose-clipped.  So far so good. Then home where I live with 5(!) men at the moment, DH, 2 teen sons, FIL and his caregiver.  That's a lot of testosterone! So instead of just plopping in the middle of that, like I did today, I think I need to take a shower or get some alone time.  My (unfortunate) response today was to sit down for wine, cheese and crackers that I wish i didn't eat, but  they were a reflexive response to the chaos. I ate junk that I normally don't, and more wine than I think I should. Now I know that I need to plan for the peak stress if getting home from work and to have a plan for what to eat for dinner. Tomorrow, and next week I will come home with a plan and realize that this time of day is hard for me. And no, I am not a naturally thin person who does not have to think about these things.  Yet.

I started June 1, 2006

zerimar

« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2011, 09:53:40 PM »

Too much wine again today.  I have to understand this, so I am exposing myself and this issue by posting.  Once I start my bottle of wine, and I'm home for the weekend from a stressful day at work....well, it's not so easy to stop after a single glass.  I stuck with cheese and wine, no crackers today. That's positive.  Had a good lunch, chicken and salad, no bread. So not so bad... in a way.  I'm going away for the weekend, and have to plan for eating with friends and being in a place where I can't really control what I eat--fewer chances for oil/noseclipping.  Not too worried tho.  I am bringing oil, chia seeds AND cans of protein drink to have nose-clipped.  So when I am away from friends I will had flavorless calories.  When I am with them, I will be in Shangri-la, so no worries.....?  Lets see how I feel about this on Monday, and my weight after a weekend of this.  I am hopeful!

I started June 1, 2006
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18