Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Back again, after a while off.

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Back again, after a while off.  (Read 25870 times)

zerimar

Re: Since 6-1-06: 178 to 155.5 on 11-02--06
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2006, 02:10:06 PM »

Hey TV, g2g, et al,

I was avoiding posting my progress and changing my ticker because it had fluttered a bit upward and stalled after my business travel and then the whole TOM thing.   Finally on 11-1 I dropped to 156.5, then on 11-2 dropped another pound! (the first weight loss since early October.)  I said a pound a month was fine with me, but I get impatient!  So, standing back, here's some perspective.  In 5 months my BMI went from 28.7 to 25.1.  So I went from inching toward "obese" to almost not "overweight" anymore. I'm crowing, even though I know the BMI is not that great a measure, but it's another way to think about one's progress. One of the amazing things about this is that after 5 months I have zero concerns about falling off the wagon.  I will plug along until I'm done losing, and then continue SLD in a maintenance mode...forever.  I will tweak and modify and continue to follow the news about health and wellness, but I don't expect to ever go back to that desperate starving/craving/mindless eating mode of my past.  Cool.   

zerimar

(I modified this a day after posting because I was too happy to lose another pound!)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 08:21:41 AM by zerimar »

I started June 1, 2006

CarolS

Re: Since 6-1-06: 178 to 156.5 on 11-01--06
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2006, 04:16:15 PM »

Agreed. Cool.  Congrats!

SILENT

• STARTING DATE 09/27/06
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2006, 05:17:38 PM »

"I live in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here"

go2grl

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2006, 09:37:31 PM »

Hey TV, g2g, et al,

I was avoiding posting my progress and changing my ticker because it had fluttered a bit upward and stalled after my business travel and then the whole TOM thing.   Finally today I dropped to 156.5, the first weight loss since early October.  I said a pound a month was fine with me, but I sure get impatient!  So, standing back, here's some self-congratulation.  (I'm about 66.5 inches.)  In 5 months my BMI went from 28.7 to 25.3.  So I went from inching toward "obese" to almost not "overweight" anymore. One of the amazing things about this is that after 5 months I have zero concerns about falling off the wagon.  I will plug along until I'm done losing, and then continue SLD in a maintenance mode...forever.  I will tweak and modify and continue to follow the news about health and wellness, but I don't expect to ever go back to that desperate starving/craving/mindless eating mode of my past.  Cool.   

zerimar

Zerimar,

Great to hear how things are going - you are making terrific progress!  And I hear you about not going back to the cravings! SLD for life - that's me too!

I have to laugh at myself lately because I'll think "oh I'm really eating a lot today"  and then I'll realize 2 things:  what I ate hardly qualifies as "alot" and just how radically I've changed my idea of what a normal amount of food is!

Living La Vida SLD!

SILENT

• STARTING DATE 09/27/06
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2006, 05:44:41 AM »

I have to laugh at myself lately because I'll think "oh I'm really eating a lot today"  and then I'll realize 2 things:  what I ate hardly qualifies as "alot" and just how radically I've changed my idea of what a normal amount of food is!

Oh i can so relate to this  :D

"I live in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here"

tek_vixen

• A mind is a terrible thing to lose!
Re: Since 6-1-06: 178 to 155.5 on 11-02--06
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2006, 08:19:29 AM »

Awesome job zerimar!  You are far more patient than I am!  Of course, being an Aries, that's to be expected!  :lol:  Hey, I have to blame something, right? 

T-Vix

zerimar

Hmmm, the downward curve is slowing down... 153.8
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2007, 08:07:28 PM »

Oh drat, looking back my numbers have been pretty slow to move since my last entry here on 11-2-06.   :x
 I got thru Thanksgiving and the holidays and travel, with a very steady and very slow drop.  In early January I was thrilled to weigh 152--lowest weight since starting SLD. But I didn't touch the ticker....  Then I had a short trip, family visit, out of town visitors, and that threw everything off.  I kept doing SLD, but I also ate when everyone else did, and what I was served--all of it.  I got full and kept eating.  In my early SLD days I could stand back on watch, but not lately.

I'm not sure AS changed.  Maybe the setpoint drifted upward.  Add to the uptic in eating, a new scale that measures tenths of a pound.  So my weight creapt around, up to 155.8.  Maybe that was TOM.  This morning it was back to 153.8, not so bad.  So I'm waiting to change the ticker downward again, sticking with SLD, admiring the amazing success and tenacity on the boards, and going back to the things that worked in the early days.

Walnut Oil, 1-2 tbls dose, at the first alarm, (or before if I wake up in the middle of the night.)  Then again in the afternoon, before my commute home.  I have tried to add other SLD (NC) calories when I could.  I'm hoping to get off this slow plateau and back into losing.

I started June 1, 2006

CarolS

Re: Since 6-1-06: 178 to 153.8 1-27-07
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2007, 05:25:43 AM »

Your doing great! 

sammie

• Age 38, F, 5'10" started 9/23/06
Re: Since 6-1-06: 178 to 153.8 1-27-07
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2007, 07:34:06 AM »

Oh yeah, zerimar, you are doing great, you're so close to your goal!  And to go through the holidays, visitors, AND travel and really only gain a lb. or so is pretty incredible.  Now that you're back to Normal (whatever that is, ha) I'll be you start sliding down again.  Good post-holidays luck!  sammie

zerimar

Re: Since 6-1-06: whoosh to 151!
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2007, 10:46:06 AM »

Thanks for the encouragement sammie and CarolS, it really helps.

Last time I said I was going back to my original SLD patterns, and  doing so did make a difference.  I had drifted away from my afternoon SLD oil, and substituted it with a NC smoothie in place of dinner.  Maybe the smoothie became a ditto food despite the NCs?  Or I just didn't get the same amount of AS.  Not sure.  So recently, I decided to try coconut oil for my afternoon dose also, since I did that in the early days. 

I was hoping for a drop to the previous low of 152, but never saw that number in spite of obsessive daily weight checks.  Yesterday I was amazed to see 151!!!, and today 151.6.  Still very happy about that, and now 151 is the number to beat.  I can almost see 145, which I believe I last saw in high school, decades ago.

Lesson:  It's good to experiment with SLD, but also to remember what works and go back to it. For me, it's 1-2 tbls Walnut Oil in the early a.m., and 1-2 tbls (melted) coconit oil in the p.m.   Exercise seems to bungle things up, but I still will do it and just be conscious of how I eat to keep energy and restore it.

I tend to post when things are going well, wanting to share the good news. I want to post the frustrations more, because I think colledtively we can figure out how to respond to plateaus, and pigouts. 

Thanks to all have have posted their successes and frustrations, and now their avatars--that's a new project for me.  zerimar

I started June 1, 2006

tek_vixen

• A mind is a terrible thing to lose!
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2007, 10:50:33 AM »

Awesome, zerimar!  Maybe that's what I should do: go back to my original protocol.  Now how to bash the inner brat!

T-Vix

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2007, 12:48:13 PM »

I think the problem with exercise is that it's harder to tell the difference between 2000 and 1800 calories than between 1200 and 1000 calories. When SLD causes you to eat 1000 calories (instead of 1200), you notice and think yes, it's working! After you exercise, and SLD causes you to eat 1800 calories instead of 2000 calories you don't notice -- 1800 is a lot, you think.

zerimar

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2007, 02:14:10 PM »

Hi TV and Seth,

The inner brat may BE the problem.   :twisted:

Here's why.  I think exercise increases appetite, if only enough to make up for energy expended.  I notice that my weight plateaus or tics up with increased exercise.  I'm thinking maybe I allow myself to eat and drink past satiety, because I feel more deserving of the type of food (read carbs) that I usually avoid.  My usual SLD self-control gets out of whack.  I will try being more conscious of what I eat during and after exercise to see if that makes a difference.   

Thanks for the input, zerimar

I started June 1, 2006

go2grl

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2007, 06:55:29 PM »

You're almost there Zerimar!!!  woohoo!  Great job figuring out what you need to do to keep AS and losing happening! 

Funny, it sort of coincides with a realization I had the other day.

I was pondering the fairly minimal AS I have at the moment - as I'm only doing 1T of the oil to maintain my loss.  My weight's not moving more than a pound either way, but I was managing to fret about whether I needed more AS, etc.   :roll:  Suddenly I realized, Hey I could do 2 T if I really wanted/needed to!  How soon they forget, huh!   :lol:

So I wholeheartedly agree, it's good to remember what works for you!
Living La Vida SLD!

zerimar

Since 6-1-06: 178 to 150
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2007, 08:05:31 PM »

Thanks g2g, woohoo indeed!!

I'm still trying to go back with what works, and I'm pretty happy with the results.  I had used coconut oil last summer, and stopped because I got nervous about the saturated fat.  Lately, more and more reputable sources (like the Wellness Letter from UC Berkeley) have been saying that CO's saturated fat does not act like animal fat in the body, and may even lower cholesterol.  I heard that in addition to many beneficial properties, it may help with belly fat, which is where I'm aiming lately.

It was helpful to stop the NC smoothies last month, because AS was way down.  I changed my routine to one dose of Walnut Oil and another of Coconut Oil.  One I take before sleep, and the other in the early afternoon, about 3 tbls total. The weight has started dropping again, and AS is much improved. I don't know if it's the change to CO, or the change to pre-bedtime oil. I'm hoping the latter gives me better sleep.

I got below 150 for the first time in, oh about 20 years.  That was fun (!),  I'm still hovering up and down around 150...more thoughts elsewhere.    zerimar

I started June 1, 2006
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18