Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Back again, after a while off.

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Back again, after a while off.  (Read 25886 times)

zerimar

Back again, after a while off.
« on: July 05, 2006, 06:22:42 PM »

Hello all.  I've been lurking and reading steadily for about a month, and have learned a lot about the ups and downs of SLD.

I'm a middle-aged working mom, about 5'6".  I started on June 1st at 178 and dropped steadily for the first 3 weeks, then I stalled at about 167.5.  I fully expect another drop soon, considering my (female) TOM.  I'm thrilled despite this plateau.  Using oil twice a day, and my eating has changed. Mainly my mind is freed from the constant inner dialogue about eating, not eating, cravings, temptations, etc.  What a relief.  

I'm so grateful to Seth for putting his findings and self-experimentation out there for the rest of us.  I think many of us who struggle with our weight are self-experimenters.  We had to be because nobody had found a viable answer.  So we've weighed, measured, lived on bacon and whipped cream, or pineapples for weeks on end.  We've had some success, (South Beach, Low GI) but not long term, and we're still here searching.  

I tried to post my tracking data, but it didn't go up...will try again.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 08:19:40 PM by zerimar »

I started June 1, 2006

LaLaLouise

Re: 10 lbs since 6-1-06
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 09:57:27 AM »

Congratulations!  I'm a newbie, and this gives me hope.  I definitely want to quit thinking about food all the time.  Keep up the good work.

xt92879

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 01:52:05 PM »

How much oil are you taking?

zerimar

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 04:12:56 PM »

Hallo, Thanks for your posts.

I have taken about 3 tbls of oil daily.  Half at the alarm clock and half in mid afternoon.  I have consistently varied the oils:  ELOO, Canola, Grapeseed, Walnut, Peanut, and lately I try to use Coconut once a day, cause it's been getting great reviews on the forum.  It's less convenient in my climate because it remains solid most of the time.

I'm lucky to have felt a drop in appetite pretty quickly and consistently.  I don't have that super full feeling some people get, but I do get a "full-enough" feeling after less food than before.  Since I don't have much appetite it's easier to just wait til I can get some decent food and not graze on the junk that's always easily available and tempting.

Good luck to you xt92879 and LaLaLouise...

I started June 1, 2006

zerimar

Since 6-1-06: 178 to 164.5
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 11:47:37 AM »

I'm happy with my steady progress, despite a few plateaus.  They are annoying but I can tell they're temporary because I haven't felt like I ate too much or enough to stop losing.  I did follow a hormonal plateau (167.5) with a pretting quick drop to 165.  So I can't complain at all.

I had not done  my usual exercise--spin class--since the first week of SLD.  I was a little worried about a drop in blood sugar and felt like the SLD change was enough for a while.  Yesterday I went to spin class and burned 1000 calories according to my heart rate monitor.  It felt great, a big effort but no blood sugar concerns.  I'll try to go back to my 3x/wk pattern and see how that changes things.  I have cycled vigorously for months on end, including rides over 100 miles--with no weight loss.  So I'm hoping the combination of SLD with cycling will have a good outcome. 

I know I'll be happy peddling 13 fewer lbs. up the hills around here.

I started June 1, 2006

zerimar

Re: Since 6-1-06: 178 to 164
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 10:22:22 AM »

Just another bit down to 164--still thrilled.  Based on past experience, six weeks into a diet having lost 14 lbs.would be a desperate time. I'd be ready to finish the bag of oreos at the slightest provocation.

This feels like Shangri-La, I'm never starving,  but hungry enough to eat normally when at the in-laws' for dinner.  And also in control enough to stop eating ANY time.  It's amazing.  Going out to lunch?...no problem, I'll just eat less before and after.

So, along with reading the forums for ideas and support, taking the oil feels like an easy and  permanent lifestyle change.  Also, knowing the widespread (and my own specific) risk for Type 2 Diabetes, I feel like I'm adding healthy years to my life. 

Z

I started June 1, 2006

zerimar

Re: Since 6-1-06: 178 to 164 Still!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 06:07:54 PM »

This has been another plateau week, my appetite has been inconsistent, but no disasters.  On a "bad" day I think I still eat less than on a normal preSLD day.  My weight went up to 166 this week and back down to 164 this morning.  I can tell when my body is holding on to water etc.  I'm trying to deal with my sluggish digestive system, in part because I think I will lose weight faster AND at least feel like I'm losing weight faster.  I think eating so much less food makes my body hold on to everything longer.  So I have added wheat bran, ground flax seed and "good bacteria" to try to speed up and balance my digestive tract.  It's also part of crazy spicing because it changes the taste of food. I am still drinking lots of water all day (and not a single diet coke in ages.)   If these changes improve my progress in a week or two I'll post something about it in the Tips and Innovations section.

I have to share: On Tuesday I went on a bike ride in the hills near my house.  At the top there is an amazing view of the misty golden gate bridge, the fog was pink with sunset and shiny SF buildings in the skyline.  I was out almost two hours and had lots of time to think about the wonders of pulling and pushing yourself up and down miles of road, and thoroughly working the lungs and muscles.  It was Nirvana.  I hope to be able to squeeze more such treats into my crowded life.  At least I'll be watching some great cycling for another week until the Tour de France ends and then I'll have to get back out there myself.  :)

I started June 1, 2006

zerimar

Re: Since 6-1-06: 178 to 161.5 on 8-2-06
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 10:26:02 AM »

Finally off a plateau   :o   with 16.5 pounds  lost in two months.  :D   (Most was lost in June!)

During a week of working away from home and mostly eating out in the evenings, I managed to get past my plateau. 

I used the same routine that I have settled into:
Alarm clock oil: 1 + half tbls, chased by SW, 1 tsp to about 12 oz.
Afternoon oil:  same as above.

I alternate half walnut oil, half coconut oil.  I also take 3 fish oil capsules, calcium and a multivitamin at bedtime.
  During my plateau I noticed that my usually slow digestive system had ground to a halt.  So, 2 weeks ago I added fiber AND a supplement of "good bacteria" which finally seems to have gotten my digestive tract...er...... moving.   

Once home, over the weekend I bought nose clips and various ingredients for crazy spicing 2.0.   (While in Chicago I  visited Penzey's Spice store and bought about 15 small jars of various spices.)  So, this week I added those innovations to my routine--nose clips with the coconut oil--which I always found to have a slight bacony flavor--and blended spicy protein shakes instead of dinner.

I am exercising less than usual, but went on a bike ride yesterday and hope to do that a few times a week.  I'm going out of town again next week, also work related.  So I'm testing out the SLD on the road again.

I am still happy with SLD, and planning on sticking to it.  Only a few people notice my weight loss.  I don't mind, cause I guess they didn't notice or pay attention when I gained the weight either.  I gave an SLD book to one friend when she expressed desperation about her weight and her inability to lose.  I decided that she was likely to be receptive to ideas that go against the conventional wisdom about diets and nutrition.  Once I lose another 10 pounds I may start proselytizing.  I still haven't decided how much to lose, I think a BMI of 24-25 would be the best place to stop and think about losing any more weight.  THAT's fun to think about.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 11:16:08 AM by zerimar »

I started June 1, 2006

CarolS

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 11:48:00 AM »

Regular acidophilus yogurt is good to me but that new stuff - probiotic - yyyuck. 

Glad it's working so well for you!

zerimar

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 12:05:54 PM »

Hi CarolS, I tried that yucky new yogurt for a week.  Too sweet, too $$$.  I  have switched to a probiotic supplement, I take it with my vitamins.  No extra sugar calories.  I also eat regular plain yogurt.  Z.

I started June 1, 2006

zerimar

Re: Since 6-1-06: 178 to 161 on 8-16-06
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 05:32:17 PM »

I haven't been on the forums much for the last couple of weeks because of traveling on business and no internet connection at home.

At my conference I was able to NOT eat the hotel's continuous offerings of cookies, cracker jacks, pretzels, ice cream, candy, muffins-- several times a day during breaks.  My colleagues stood around and ate and ate and ate!  I see that I am eating so much less than before, but I really don't miss all the extra food. So I followed my SLD routine, even taking my afternoon oil in the ladies room with my nose clips on....  It went well, I could have eaten all the goodies, but it did not take much will to just have a cup of tea.  I ate a light lunch at various restaurants and a normal, usually wonderful dinner with wine or drinks or both. I think I ate more than usual, but I'm so happy I couild walk away from such abundant, free goodies. 

Once I was back home with my scale,  I was at 161 yesterday and today.  I was surprised and happy 3 weeks ago when I got off a plateau and dropped to 161.5.  So weighing in at 161 after a week of travel and conference-conditions, (eating every meal out, with friends and constant communal snacking and drinking) is amazing. 

OK there was a blip:  I came home, exhausted, jet lagged, and for the first time since June, I felt my appetite.  So I had a short taste of the frustration that people are experiencing and expressing on these forums.  It also made me think about Seth's theory and the body's response to changing circumstances.  It was easy to understand that I had eaten more than usual, and differently, and my set point had drifted upward a bit. So, I set out to nuke my appetite this week.  I have made (very) crazy smoothies for dinner since Sunday, and kept up the same amount of EVCO and walnut oil* and after about two days I have dulled my appetite back to a 5?  It's not that point of zero appetite, food is disgusting--I haven't had that since June.  I took too many spoonfuls of my son's cookie dough ice cream yesterday, and I would like to get back to a 2-3-4 level of small dull appetite. On the other hand, I had to work through lunch today, and was able to do that, no problem.  That would NOT have happened in the pre-SLD past.

So, I plan to stay on SLD for the long run, past whatever plateaus, and lose another 15 to 20 lbs. I admit that I plotted my expected weight loss and based on the early days of SLD, hoped to be skinny by now.  Have we all done this when we start a new diet?  I usually would find the numbers after giving up on the diet and see how hopeful and deluded I'd been. So, I have modified and slowed my plans, but I have no thought of giving up.  I will keep plodding along, and by next summer I hope to be in a maintenance mode. 

Note: *I flew cross country on Friday, just after the no liquid rule took hold.  I didn't want to toss the walnut oil and coconut oil I had brought with me as carry-on.  So, I had a sturdy nalgene water bottle. I filled it with the walnut oil and melted the coconut oil and poured that in. It survived my checked baggage, and did not need the extra plastic bags.   So, until that's used up, I am taking them together, roughly the same proportions as before.  They remain pretty liquid, though the coconut oil was usually solid in my climate before I mixed them.  I had bought a nose clip already, and wear it when I drink my liquified oil.  I still chase it with a small amount of SW, to clear the palate. 

I started June 1, 2006

zerimar

Re: Since 6-1-06: 178 to 161 on 8-24-06
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2006, 11:10:51 AM »

So I guess I'm on another plateau.  Nice to be staying close to my lowest weight and NOT gaining.  I bounce around a little up to 164 and down to 160.5.  I have been using smoothies and noseclips and blaming the plateau on my sluggish digestion.  I haven't stumbled on a way to keep things, er, moving.  Lots of fruit, vegetables, soluble and insoluble fibre, plain water all day long....I guess I'll take a look at my medicines to see if they're at fault.  Otherwise, just plugging along.

Today I clipped during my morning oil and my morning coffee, (with 1/2 + 1/2 and sugar.)  It was strange that the taste of the coffee didn't seem so different, whatever taste came through, the sweet and creamy, plus a little bitter was pretty good.  When I unclipped I got a big whoosh of coffee "taste?"  I reclipped and  tried to clean out the coffee flavor--very hard.  I noticed that after clipped coffee, I felt noticable fullness, in addition to the usual appetite suppression after my morning oil.  That was three hours ago, and the fullness is mostly gone, but the appetite pull is at a very tolerable 3-4.  Lunch?  Not sure if or what I'll eat, maybe skip it if work takes over. Actually having choices in that matter, not feeling compelled to eat, is still surprising and fun.

I started June 1, 2006

zerimar

Re: Three months, 19 lbs.
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2006, 02:24:39 PM »

178 on June 1st, 159 this morning.  In the first five weeks I lost 13 lbs, almost magically.  Then I've had  a series of plateaus, very slow weight loss and really been sustained on SLD by the encouragement and experience of others. I would have quit without the forum.

This morning I dropped below 160--the first time in .... 7 years?  With Atkins I stayed on for at leaast this long, but never lost weight after the first 8 weeks or so.  Finally I felt my arteries could not tolerate another slice of bacon.  I decided that I had figured out how to outsmart all the whistles and bells of Atkins, and get many delicious no carb calories past any appetite suppression derived from cutting out carbs.   After Atkins I began to cycle quite intensively, training, participating in long organized rides and taking spin classes.  My legs and heart got stronger, but I did not lose weight.

I have no plans to quit SLD, despite a few discouraging days and weeks of no loss relative to effort.  I also had a PMS related appetite return that I feared was permanent.  I upped my oil to 2 tbls, 2x/day, and took it with noseclips.  Appetite suppression returned, but now I know I have to watch for my appetite as TOM approaches. I am still cycling, and trying to be concious of the effect of exercise on my appetite.  For me the combination of SLD and cycling allows me to live a normal life, eat an artisan made cheese danish, cycle a few hours and go back to SLD appetite control without skipping a beat. V. cool.    Z.

I started June 1, 2006

zerimar

Re: Three months and more
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2006, 04:27:48 PM »

Still here, after a week of business travel, which disrupts only a little, my weight jumped around.  I was at a low of 159 before I traveled and up to 161.5 when I returned. 

I'm at 160, and realize that I will continue up and down with the lower weight dropping slowly but steadily.

When I travel there is more sociable going out to eat on an expense account. It's harder to decide how to deal with appetite surges--not so easy to whip up a crazy spiced smoothie or walk around with nose clips.  Harder, but not impossible. 

I tend to take oil in the morning and again in the afternoon.  I have coffee instead of breakfast, and maybe a yogurt or latte at lunch.  That's easy enough, then dinner is big, with wine and dessert sometimes.  Though not inthe old out of control  mode, compelled eating to the point of discomfort.  I still find it easy to choose something with vegetables, something unfamiliar, and to leave food some for later. 

These updates sound alike because the changes and innovations are pretty subtle from now on.

Z.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 08:47:17 PM by zerimar »

I started June 1, 2006

zerimar

178 to 158, sort of
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2006, 09:07:51 PM »

If you only count your lowest weight, then I've lost 20 lbs.  But really I am hovering around 159,  after a bit of hovering at 160.  I could stop weighing myself daily, but then I'd miss the new lowest weight which I tend to savor.

I notice an occasional bout of thoughtless eating, which I never had in the first two months of SLD.  Even those "binges" are relatively minor incidents, foodwise. Like a snack size fast food meal, no drink, (when my teenagers need a triple cheeseburger and milkshake.)   Or a few spoonfuls of icecream, or cookie dough, or cheesecake.    That is sort of my old way of grazing on everything in my vicinity.  So I do it ocasionally now, but I also feel very full afterward, on a relatively small amount of junk food.  In the past, I think I did not get full and just grazed on whatever turned up. 

I have also come to enjoy crazy smoothies--that is, spicy, noseclipped, anything goes smoothies.  I combine frozen banana, protein powder, a quarter can of beef barley soup(!), a dash of coffee or wine or prune juice (if I'm battling constipation), and plenty of psyllium, wheat bran, ground flax seed, etc.  In other words, it's pretty random, but tolerable if it has a little sugar and oil AND my noseclips.  The sweetness and texture is good, and it fills me up in place of dinner, or brunch on weekends. 

For now,  Z.    And welcome to all the newbies.

I started June 1, 2006
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18