Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
It can take as long as four to six weeks to start working.

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: It can take as long as four to six weeks to start working.  (Read 58505 times)

shovelqueen

Re: It can take as long as four to six weeks to start working.
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2007, 07:43:19 AM »

Both ELOO and Canola are high in mono-unsaturated fatty acids, proven to lower blood cholesterol levels.  Canola is the lowest in these MUFA's - that's probably what the cardiologist was referring to.  Of course, the basis of the healthfulness of the Mediterannean diet is based on the presence of olive oil, so either is likely to be good. 

I started on canola and had great AS, but once I tried ELOO, I found it lighter feeling, so switched.  I did get myself a good quality, non-GMO, organic but refined canola oil.  President's Choice (in Canada) makes one, as does Spectrum.

"Strength, balance, joy!"

jj

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2007, 07:44:38 AM »

I would be very sceptical of that cardiologist's advice to switch to canola. You may need a second opinion.

Correction, I see that you already got a second opinion from a Nutritionist :)

pbrtls

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2008, 07:09:22 AM »

A lot of guys in the "heavy" range (i.e. my friends and me, guys at 240, 300, that sort of thing) report immediate responses on the diet.

However, people closer to their ideal weight or a good BMI, tend to take a bit longer before it really kicks in.

A good example is this thread:  http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=800.msg8008#msg8008

At three weeks, she suddenly started to feel the diet.

There are lots and lots of similar examples.  Most of them are women at or near what the charts say is an appropriate BMI.  (Ok, I think BMI charts are often a little off.  I qualified for nationals in a weight class sport at 172 ... and I was 5'6" then.  Now that I'm older and closer to 5'5" I'm expecting to be able to get to 160.2.  I sure would have been happier if the weight class was closer to 168).

You can find similar posts to the one I linked to all over the boards.  Some people even gained 2-3 pounds over the first 14-17 days, then lost it later.

But, if it isn't working for you check two things.

First, are you female, close to your proper BMI or atheletic?

Second, are you using enough calories?

A guy using two tablespoons of sugar a day probably isn't getting enough.  At 3 tablespoons of oil equiv. calories, I was barely able to maintain.  It took four when I started.  I backed off to two.  Now I do three in the middle of the night and 200 calories of protien in the morning (instead of breakfast).

I find it takes me three in the night to get the effect of 2 at 10:00 a.m.  But taking it in the middle of the night sure is more convenient.

I've rambled.

The bottom line is that it can take a while to start working, both because on some people it just takes longer and for others they need to find the right amount of calories to get an effect.

Well... I just started using the oil this morning.... I drank 2 eight oz glasses of water with 2 Tb of Canola oil... ten minutes later I felt sick to my stomach... is that normal???

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2008, 10:29:43 AM »

I replied on the other post, it is very normal to feel queasy at first.
your stomach has to learn to make the proper enzymes to digest the oil.
Until it learns, it grumbles and complains all the time, just like a little kid.   :lol:  :lol:
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

I'm Trying

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2009, 05:46:54 PM »

I think I fell into the trap alot of people into after reading some replies on here.  I started the diet a year ago and stopped. I started again 2 months ago. Both times I felt AS right away. Both times I didnt lose weight.  I finally realized that AS by it's self is not enough. I wanted MAGIC!  For some reason I thought I would lose weight by using the AS and still eating what I wanted.  Many times I wasnt hungry, but ate because I just plain ole wanted to eat something. 

this time I started Jan 3, 2009.  We are having a family diet challenge.  13 family members put $20 in a pot.  Again, this time I am experieincing AS but this time I am fighting the urge to eat.  And boy it is an urge to still eat...even though I'm not really hungry.  I think its more like an addiction. But anyway this time, i feel the AS and am using it to not snack. I'm also exercising too.  So far....7 pounds in 6 days.   

I'm happy!  So like I said, the diet does work, but its definietly NOT magic!!

m.c.

• Pluckychickenheart
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2009, 06:43:35 AM »

Thats GREAT!! Good on YA!!!  :D
Have arrived at the new Normal.

SixtiesLibber

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2009, 08:28:36 AM »

Please take the time to read up on low-carb diets; I suggest Gary Taubes "Good Calories, Bad Calories" or the new DVD, Fat Head http://www.fathead-movie.com/.  Carbohydrates are addictive because they raise blood sugar.  Specific carbs such as wheat have other factors that make them especially addictive for some people.  If you combine SLD with low-carb you'll be healthier and you'll stop feeling hungry, start feeling way better, and lose weight faster.

ecto

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2009, 03:15:59 PM »

I've been trying for two weeks with no AS so far.

I heard Seth say in an interview that one group it doesn't seem to work for is thin guys who exercise a lot.  That pretty much describes me.  I'm 6'5" 175 lbs.  Every year I gain a little roll of fat around the middle, 10-15 lbs., over the winter and then work hard to get my weight back down to 165 by summer.  I was hoping the SLD AS would help me with it this year, but so far no AS.

I'm doing 4T ELOO, taken in two 2T doses, one at 10 am and one at bedtime.  I've been scrupulous about observing the two-hour no-flavor window.  I've started noseclipping the oil to try and avoid any flavor association there.

At 4T oil I'm getting a lot of extra calories, so since I'm not getting any AS I'm thinking it's time to give it up.  I'll never get my weight back down while taking in an extra 480 calories a day.

Does it sound reasonable that I'm just in the group that it doesn't work for?

shovelqueen

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2009, 04:00:15 PM »

You are in a group that would have trouble losing weight any which way - the truly already slim!!  Your BMI is 20.8.  That puts you in the slim range.  Any little spare tire you are dealing with is not any kind of a health issue. Your goal weight is at a BMI of 19.6 - really low.  Are you sure it's not just lack of abdominal conditioning? 

Why not try cutting  back to one dose of 2 tbsp per day, or two doses of 1 tbsp?  Then cut out any "white crap" stuff in your diet and concentrate on protein rich foods, legumes, veggies and moderate amounts of fruit, whole grains and dairy. 

Good luck!

IndianGirl

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2009, 08:35:50 PM »

It's possible to target just the stomach area specifically for shapening up.

There's a thread about this at:
http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=7039.0

ecto

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2009, 07:50:51 AM »

My diet is usually pretty good.  I pretty much avoid refined carbs and don't eat very much meat six days a week.  Saturdays I give myself a break. :)  But in order to drop these 10 pounds by July I'm going to have to give up my Saturday indulgences. :(

I was hoping the AS would make things easier but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen.  Do you think it's likely to kick in if I lower the daily dose to 2T oil?

shovelqueen

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2009, 08:42:30 AM »

My diet is usually pretty good.  I pretty much avoid refined carbs and don't eat very much meat six days a week.  Saturdays I give myself a break. :)  But in order to drop these 10 pounds by July I'm going to have to give up my Saturday indulgences. :(

I was hoping the AS would make things easier but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen.  Do you think it's likely to kick in if I lower the daily dose to 2T oil?

I would give it a try - at least you are only adding half the extra calories.

Temma

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2009, 10:10:03 PM »

Hi,
 I started with canola oil at night before bedtime and in the morning and my appetite was immediately suppressed and I lost three lbs in about two weeks. But then I noticed that I was getting a low blood sugar feeling and would get hungry in spikes.  I was craving the oil. So I switched to ELOO just at night and did that for a week and have sometimes tried fructose in water at night (I am afraid of doing sugar water during the day because of the blood sugar dips). I also increased the ELOO and have begun taking canola at the same time. The taste of the oil has never bothered me at all , in  fact I like it. I have even gotten up in the middle of the night to drink the oil!
   Since Seth says that's a problem, I'm worried.
  Even worse, in a month I lost 3 lbs and then regained them all again!
   I do think I am eating less and more healthily but no good results on weight loss.
  Re your post about women who are close to their BMI, I am 5'2 and now weigh  160 lbs, which is where I started. I got down to 156 on this diet for one day. According to most estimates, I am obese. I do have big bones and strong muscles so I consider myself overweight, not obese, but I am nowhere near my correct BMI, which should be around 140, I think.

Any thoughts? I really want this to work.       

karky

• Life is Good!
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2009, 04:27:30 AM »

You should not be tasting the oil.
At all.
Maybe you should noseclip your dose.
Lost 98.6lbs since 3-17-2007 
Dwelling on the negative only increases it's power

Temma

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2009, 06:50:59 AM »

Thanks! Yes, that's the way to go...Temma

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18