Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
It can take as long as four to six weeks to start working.

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: It can take as long as four to six weeks to start working.  (Read 55107 times)

anacara

Re: It can take as long as four to six weeks to start working.
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2006, 08:46:13 PM »

I am female, somewhat close to my BMI and athletic (i.e. I have a lot of muscle)
what should i be expecting on the diet
will it ever work for me?

Hi there.  I was close to normal BMI when I started, and the effects (both appetite suppression and weight loss) were immediate.  I've been losing weight easily though not too quickly.  The effects of SLD don't seem to vary predictably - I think there may be many factors involved beyond starting weight, gender etc.

SILENT

• STARTING DATE 09/27/06
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 10:54:26 AM »

That does seem to be the case.

"I live in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here"

SsmmoS

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2007, 11:49:00 AM »

To be honest, I'm thinking of quitting.

I'm starting my 8th week today with NO weight loss.  I've been taking 3 TBL of oil for 5 of those weeks; I worked up slowly so I wouldn't get sick.  Last week I added a tsp. of sugar.  It seems like my method is good.  I take the oil at about the same time every day, I haven't missed a day.  I think I'll do two more weeks to see if the sugar helps but I beginning to suspect I may be one of those for whom it doesn't work.

I need to lose 75 lbs.

Anyone want to talk me out of quitting? 

shovelqueen

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2007, 12:35:17 PM »

SSmmos, do you get AS?  Is your intake different than before SLD?  Are you on any meds that could be affecting your ability to lose weight, or that promote weight gain?  When do you take your oil, what kind, do you observe the 2 hr flavour-free window religiously?  More info, please.

"Strength, balance, joy!"

SsmmoS

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2007, 12:46:03 PM »

Thanks for responding shovelqueen.

I feel like I am getting some AS but no weight loss yet.  No meds, and I've intentionally not changed what I'm eating. 

After starting the first week or so with canola (which seemed to give me headaches) I switched to walnut oil which I'm tolerating well.  NOT the yummy walnut tasting stuff, but refined tasteless oil.

Yes, I am observing the 2 hour window, nothing with taste including lip balm.  One day I forgot and took a swig of my son's bottle to test the temperature, but other than a swallow of milk I've been perfect. 

shovelqueen

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2007, 01:14:40 PM »

If you've not changed eating, you won't lose weight.  SLD doesn't change the basic laws of nature that state calories in must be less than calories out to effect weight loss.  You need to use the AS to allow you to eat less and avoid cravings which lead to poor choices and overeating.  The setpoint lowering effect allows the weight loss to happen.  The bottom line though is less intake, and that includes the oil calories.  You might want to track your intake over a few days (not forever, that's too much work) on paper, or on one of the online programs like fitday.com to tell how many calories you are actually consuming.

If you have 75 lbs to lose, it sounds like 3 tbsp of oil is about right.  You might try changing to ELOO, as many have found it the most effective. 

Do you exercise? 

Good luck.  Keep us posted.  We're a very supportive bunch here in SLD! :)

rps930

• Food For Fuel
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2007, 02:51:44 PM »

Ssammmo, so sorry you haven't had appetite suppression, you will know it when you do.  I still eat the same type foods, but just less of them, cause the hunger and cravings are gone.  Before you hang up on it, please try varying the dose, and try ELOO, when AS diminishes for me, I will go back to 2TBS twice a day, for a few days, then cut back to 1 to 1 & 1/2 for each dose.  Some have stated that smaller doses helped with AS, it is so individual responsive, you really  have to experiment to see what is best for you.  Good luck with it.

SsmmoS

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2007, 03:16:38 PM »

I wasn't expecting magic, and while I haven't consciously changed what I eat, I haven't gone nuts either.  I eat fairly well overall, just too much and too many indiscretions. 

What disappoints me is the lack of overt AS.  If I strain I can see/feel it, but as rps930 says it should be obvious.  I will try to manage 2T 2x a day and see if that helps.  As I mentioned earlier, last week I started adding 1 tsp. of sugar - if I switch to two does of 2T should I drop the sugar? 

I hate to switch from the walnut oil as I seem to be tolerating it well but I will consider it.  As long as I'm not gaining weight, which I'm not, I don't see any reason not to continue a bit longer with SLD.

Thanks for all the advice!

Stephen M (Ethesis)

• http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
    • http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2007, 06:01:22 PM »

I wasn't expecting magic, and while I haven't consciously changed what I eat, I haven't gone nuts either.  I eat fairly well overall, just too much and too many indiscretions. 

What disappoints me is the lack of overt AS.  If I strain I can see/feel it, but as rps930 says it should be obvious.  I will try to manage 2T 2x a day and see if that helps.  As I mentioned earlier, last week I started adding 1 tsp. of sugar - if I switch to two does of 2T should I drop the sugar? 

I hate to switch from the walnut oil as I seem to be tolerating it well but I will consider it.  As long as I'm not gaining weight, which I'm not, I don't see any reason not to continue a bit longer with SLD.

Thanks for all the advice!

If the walnut oil is working for you, keep using it.

I've some various thoughts at http://ethesis.blogspot.com/search?q=what+to+do+when+the+diet+is+not+working

But if it is starting to work, if you can feel some AS, make use of what you feel and transition.  if you are going to move to four tablespoons (and I had to, when I still had 60+ pounds to lose), you might want to do two of walnut oil and two of extra light olive oil, or four of walnut oil.  Keep using what works for you.

coopeich

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2007, 06:23:27 AM »

I have been on SLD for 8 weeks. I've gained a few lbs. on it. I am a women trying to looe about 15 lbs. I do 3 tbls of canola oil. I started with 2 went to 3 about a week in and switched to canola on a recommendation from my Dr. Trying to figure out if a need more oil, patience, or something else is wrong.

shovelqueen

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2007, 07:45:26 AM »

I think you're on too much oil.  If you only need to lose 15 lbs, then you don't weigh enough to need 3 tbsp.  That's an additional 360 calories in your diet, enough to cause weight gain if added to your usual intake.  Your body does "get" those calories  - it's the flavour-free method of taking them that works the magic of SLD.  Try reducing your oil to an amount equal to twice your weight in cals.

ex: 120 lb woman needs 240 SLD cals = 2 tbsp

Good luck!  It does work if you fllow the few simple rules, then listen to your body's wisdom.

coopeich

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2007, 11:09:49 AM »

That didn't occur to me. I'll try reducing the oil. I'm going to try counting calories for a short period on sparkpeople.com to see if I'm actually eating too much. Attitude towards food has changed, but not sure I'd call it AS.

shinju_chan

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2007, 09:44:00 PM »

I have been on SLD for 8 weeks. I've gained a few lbs. on it. I am a women trying to looe about 15 lbs. I do 3 tbls of canola oil. I started with 2 went to 3 about a week in and switched to canola on a recommendation from my Dr. Trying to figure out if a need more oil, patience, or something else is wrong.

Your doctor recommended you switch to canola?  Why?

coopeich

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2007, 06:48:30 AM »

I go to a cardiologist, when I mentioned the diet to him I was on ELOO, he said too bad it couldn't be canola, it would be healthier. I said it could be, and I think the canola has less taste anyway. He was not familiar with the diet, but when I described it he had nothing negative to say. When I tried South Beach he didn't endorse that idea, and he was right. I gained on South Beach. By the way I'm doing better since my first post, probably water retention was throwing me off track.

shinju_chan

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2007, 07:34:18 AM »

I go to a cardiologist, when I mentioned the diet to him I was on ELOO, he said too bad it couldn't be canola, it would be healthier. I said it could be, and I think the canola has less taste anyway. He was not familiar with the diet, but when I described it he had nothing negative to say. When I tried South Beach he didn't endorse that idea, and he was right. I gained on South Beach. By the way I'm doing better since my first post, probably water retention was throwing me off track.

That's interesting; I always got the impression that ELOO was healthier.  I personally found it to be alot easier to swallow than canola, which was quite heavy to me.  But whatever works!  Great that you're seeing some progress.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18