Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Sweet Tooth

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sweet Tooth  (Read 2410 times)

shana

Sweet Tooth
« on: May 04, 2006, 12:23:06 PM »

I have a huge sweet tooth and it's been my biggest handycap. I would have loved sugar water to have worked, but unfortunately it seems to just intensify my cravings. Is anyone else finding this? Seth, can I assume that sugary treats were not your downfall, before this trial and error experiment? I think that if your theory is true, I already have a set point connection to sweet.

raina

Re: Sweet Tooth
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 12:47:51 PM »

I've got a big sweet tooth too, and I also have insulin resistance (and associated fertility problems.)  I suspect that many people who have a big sweet tooth are insulin resistant, and eating sugary stuff, especially without anything else to slow down the absobtion of the calories, just makes it worse.  If you are IR and the sugar water isn't working for you, it could be that the appetite reduction of the flavorless calories is being counteracted by the IR.  You might want to try oil, or even the fructose since it has a lower glycemic index, and see if it works. 

Even though I think it's pretty gross, I've been taking the oil all along with a teaspoon of sugar afterwards to get the oily feel out of my mouth and that works for me.

You also might try taking about 1 tsp of cinnamon a day.  Research shows it dramatically improves insulin problems and it has really helped me control my sweet tooth, even before I started trying shangri-la.

shana

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 12:51:37 PM »

Thanks Raina.

And yes Oil is working wonderfully so far.

mjohnson121

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 01:06:13 PM »

I too have a bad sweet tooth and have found the sugar water to not be very pleasant or effective (although if cravings come on at night I have tried it once and was effective for stopping "sweet" cravings). Oil seems to work better for me.

Which leads me to wonder if for some people, who absolutely have a "fat" tooth (vs. a sweet tooth), would do better with the sugar water, and that perhaps a protein version of flavorless calores (ie, flavorless whey protein, which I haven't tried yet but want to in the near future).

-Mark

shana

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 01:10:42 PM »

That could be true. Many people prefer mash potatoes with butter, deep fried french fries etc...........maybe they do better on sugar water.

While others like myself like sugary sweet treats, do better with oil.  (Mind you chocolate has a heck of a lot of fat, as does ice cream, and doughnuts and, and, and.

raina

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 01:32:31 PM »

I believe that some people have said that the sugar water works way better than the oil for them, so that could be.

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 01:59:42 PM »

Before I discovered the weight-loss virtures of fructose water, I hardly ever ate sweets, to answer your question. I had no sweet tooth at all.

Heather

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 02:31:18 PM »

I would say I am the opposite - I have a huge sweet tooth, I love baked goods and chocolate and ice cream etc. One of my biggest problems is sweets cravings after dinner (or really after any meal that doesn't include something sweet).

I'm on my third day of the sugar water and I haven't had a single craving for anything sweet since I started. I have 2 tbspoons of sugar in 20oz of water twice a day, that seems to be enough somehow.

SFC

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 04:11:55 PM »

My weeknees pre-Shangri-La was sweet and/or starchy type snacks.  I did fructose water for the first 8 weeks and completely lost by evening cravings for sweet and starchy stuff.

shana

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 09:34:51 AM »

Before I discovered the weight-loss virtues of fructose water, I hardly ever ate sweets, to answer your question. I had no sweet tooth at all.

Thanks for answering Seth and others. Looks like the jury isn't out yet on sweet vs. fat. But... for now I'm going to stick to oil as it does seem to be working. When I had one of my typical  sugar cravings last night, I had one frozen fruit yogurt bar.  Any other time my mind would have spent the rest of the night begging, pleading, pesting me to go and get another, than another........last night one was more than enough! I felt like I went to sleep with a full tummy.  So far so good!

Maybe a poll something like this would help figure out if one works better than other and for whom..........

Before the diet........

A) I had a sweet tooth and Oil is more effective

B) I had a preference for greasy food and sugar water is more effective

C) I had no strong preferences before the diet and both sugar and Oil are effective

D) I had a sweet tooth and sugar water is now more effective

E) I had a greasy food preference and now oil is more effective.

F) I have seen no improvement from either.

Oh well...poll or not......time will tell.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18