Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Have you changed your eating habits?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Have you changed your eating habits?  (Read 68466 times)

bonnie2315k

Re: Have you changed your eating habits?
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2006, 09:26:46 AM »

I do not think people are lying, I suspect some kind of placebo effect, or people WANT it to work so they help it along by eating less. I am no ruder than the person who accused Dr. Roberts of running a mass suggestion experiment.

Plus, the diet is billed as easy and simple, etc. but it seems the opposite is the case.

As to your specific points, it is well known that IVF can cause weight gain, much of it is bloating, increasing the size of the ovaries, etc. but my hormones have been normal for many months. For awhile thyroid issues were suspected (strong correlation with hypertension, miscarriage, obesity and other issues) but thorough testing has excluded this.

Losing weight is supposed to lower blood pressure. This is usually a rule of thumb that doesn't always hold true. Note where I say that it developed when I was at my lowest weight. At that time, they suspected birth control pills but stopping them did not help. It has never gone up and down according to my lifestyle changes (which at one time included a 30 pound weight loss), it has stayed to same except rising after my pregnancy as I mentioned. It was the same with my (quite skinny) father, no lifestyle changed ever altered his blood pressure except the right combination of drugs. This is why I am justified in saying it's genetic. My husband also has a supposedly diet-related condition (gout) and he cut out all the forbidden foods for about four months in a very disciplined and determined manner. But only the drugs helped him. Lifestyle changes are worthwhile but lots of people get disappointed, feel like a failure, feel like they are cursed, etc.

I have read that Cardizen retains fluid but this should not affect my appetite. I am not so worried about that because it's only a temporary solution. My previous drug combo was very effective on the blood pressure and seemingly lacked side effects.

And I am not indicating that my appetite has changed. It has not. I am SNACKING on sugar water instead of sweets. I am still consuming calories and I am still experiencing the exact same appetite at mealtimes. Thus, I am not eating less.

SFC

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2006, 09:54:44 AM »

Bonnie,

I do not think it is placebo for me for two reasons. First, I went into the "experiment" fully NOT expecting it to work because two years ago, I had incorrectly tried it before I fully understood the approach. At that time, I had read a summary of Seth's paper, and (incorrectly) tried sugar water with or near my meals.  I WANTED it to work then, too, but it did not -- at all.  Obviously, no placebo effect and no "wanting" effect in that case.   Secondly, I might buy either of those as potential explanations if the effect had lasted a couple of weeks or maybe a month.  I've been doing this for almost 8 months now.  I have consistently, almost without exception, been able to easily maintain a calorie consumption level of around 1,800/day, whereas my maintenance level is at about 2,200 calories, and before I started the SLD, I was routinely eating between 2,500 and 3,000 per day.  I think the normal setpoint mechanism is so powerful that it is hard to imagine the placebo or the want-to effect having that much of an effect for that long.

Again, I come back to my original comment, that there is almost nothing that works for everyone all the time -- including drugs such as anti-depressants, anti-biotics, etc.  The fact that it IS working for me does not prove that it is a large-scale viable approach (although my guess based on my reading of many others' experiences is that it quite likely is), nor does the fact that it is not working for you mean that it isn't (or that it is snake-oil).

jam

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2006, 09:55:33 AM »

I do not think people are lying, I suspect some kind of placebo effect, or people WANT it to work so they help it along by eating less. I am no ruder than the person who accused Dr. Roberts of running a mass suggestion experiment.

I believe the experiment comment was made in jest.

I took no offense in either comment.

patsi

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2006, 10:17:49 AM »

The  loss of appetite is wonderful so I quit when I am full so yes I have changed my eating habits.
This morning I woke up no appetite I use to be a big breakfast eater so scrambled a couple of eggs could only eat one so shared them with my dog. "The dog is loving my loss of appetite too." :)
I also am drinking alot more water I use to choke it down now it is my drink of choice.
I think for me snacking was my demon after lunch within 15 minutes I would be hungry again and would eat from that time on until after dinner and I am not temped anymore.
patsi

GilbertZ

• DiamondRing.com
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2006, 10:30:22 AM »

Snake oil if you ask me. I was suspicious from the beginning and it looks like I was right to be.

Definition of snake oil from http://www.thefreedictionary.com/snake+oil

1.  A worthless preparation fraudulently peddled as a cure for many ills.
2. Speech or writing intended to deceive; humbug.

In essence, you're calling Seth a crook/fraud.

I am no ruder than the person who accused Dr. Roberts of running a mass suggestion experiment.

Your defense for being rude is that in your opinion someone else was being as rude.
You were rude. Own it.

Plus, the diet is billed as easy and simple, etc. but it seems the opposite is the case.

It is easy. Your attitude is the only thing that isn't. At 230 pounds and 5'5", if the taste of the oil is a real obstacle for you, then I think no matter what you do, we will hear complaints from you.

As to your specific points, it is well known that IVF can cause weight gain, much of it is bloating, increasing the size of the ovaries, etc.

Even more reason why you will have to work harder than most to achieve weight loss.

Losing weight is supposed to lower blood pressure. This is usually a rule of thumb that doesn't always hold true. Note where I say that it developed when I was at my lowest weight.

Good point.

Lifestyle changes are worthwhile but lots of people get disappointed, feel like a failure, feel like they are cursed, etc.

I can sense that in you. You'll probably be offended by my post instead of taking it as constructive criticism and a kick in the pants to change your attitude. It's easy to get crabby when your body makes you physically into something you don't mentally associate yourself with. You are not a failure. You are not cursed. You have self-discipline. You are smart. You can kick these problems and you are willing to suffer in order to achieve these gains. There are no obstacles.... If you think like that, and I know YOU CAN, you will get where you want to go. But this "can't" thinking:

1. I would love to try the oil but it is just not an option for me, period. I am too sensitive to the texture and it grosses me out. I have to have oil WITH something, like on a salad. I used lots of oils on my skin but I can't eat them straight.

WILL NOT HELP YOU.

I have read that Cardizen retains fluid but this should not affect my appetite. I am not so worried about that because it's only a temporary solution. My previous drug combo was very effective on the blood pressure and seemingly lacked side effects.

And I am not indicating that my appetite has changed. It has not. I am SNACKING on sugar water instead of sweets. I am still consuming calories and I am still experiencing the exact same appetite at mealtimes. Thus, I am not eating less.

Thank you for clarifying the below statement, because it was not clear the first time around:

The only benefit I see so far with SLD is that I am no longer craving these particular sweets. But of course I am not saving the calories and am not losing weight.

Switch to oil and see if it improves the situation.

Victoria

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2006, 10:33:43 AM »

I have definitely changed my eating habits.  Today a glance at the clock told me it was around lunch time, and I should probably have something to eat.  I looked at everything in the refrigerator but nothing looked good, so I had a glass of water and went about my business.  About 45 minutes later I started thinking about food so I fixed myself a sandwich, and ate about 3/4 of it before I just lost interest and couldn't eat anymore.  I pushed it away and read for awhile, then threw the rest out.

I have never done this in my life.  As a matter of fact on past diets I was so obsessed with thinking about food that I usually ended up overeating and gaining weight!  (Yes, I can gain weight on a diet.)

splitbamboo

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2006, 10:34:05 AM »

so shared them with my dog. "The dog is loving my loss of appetite too." :)

Sounds like you should put the dog on SLD... :P

Denise

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2006, 01:05:11 PM »

When I hear people saying they can't take the oil, it's too gross, I'm just boggled.  I'd cut off an arm to be thin.  Oil is so not a problem when it brings a loss of appetite this startling.  (I say as I stare in disinterest and my half-eaten sandwich that's going in the fridge to probably rot.)

People are posting methods of how to take it without it being so gross.  I just chug it down, because after the very first day, I finally for once in my life had real hope.  Not the "I've been burned before but I'll try anything" hope.

Victoria

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2006, 01:15:29 PM »

When I hear people saying they can't take the oil, it's too gross, I'm just boggled.  I'd cut off an arm to be thin.  Oil is so not a problem when it brings a loss of appetite this startling.  (I say as I stare in disinterest and my half-eaten sandwich that's going in the fridge to probably rot.)

My thoughts exactly!  I know this diet will eventually become routine, but right now I can't get over it.  I feel like I've found a miracle pill with no side effects that has made me the normal eater I've always longed to be.  When you think of the lengths people have gone to to be thinner - surgery, jaw-wiring, drugs - swallowing a little oil doesn't seem all that bad.

Denise

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2006, 01:28:33 PM »

[When you think of the lengths people have gone to to be thinner - surgery, jaw-wiring, drugs - swallowing a little oil doesn't seem all that bad.
That should be the new book slogan!  heh

GilbertZ

• DiamondRing.com
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2006, 02:11:38 PM »

Ditto ditto ditto on the last 3 posts. But no ditto foods :)

DirkVA

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2006, 06:29:58 PM »

Bonnie:

Let's see you are "39, 5'5" and about 230 pounds," and you have other life-threathening health issues. And yet you balk at swallowing a little oil and you attack the integrity of the scientist and his fellow-subjects in this plan.

Do you really want to lose weight? I don't mean to be rude, but are you simply happier to stay as you are?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 06:37:49 PM by DirkVA »

carlo

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2006, 08:36:25 PM »

Bonnie,

Dr. Roberts has indicated that the diet doesn't work for everyone, so if it doesn't work for you that's just how it is, you're in the unlucky minority.  But what if you're one of those people for whom it kicks in later, like in a week from now?  In that case it would be a shame to give up.

Just a thought!

carlo

KiwiRed

• Proof that Autistics have a sense of humour.
    • Any Similarity to Reality is Purely Coincidental
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2006, 06:52:51 AM »

I'd suggest that some people have sensory sensitivities to certain food flavours or textures that making those foods impossible to consume (oil, in this case).  This observation comes from conversations with fellow autistics who often have sensitivities of this nature (I'm autistic myself).

Personally, while it's been less than a week, I've been finding I've been going from one small meal and one large meal (which often extended to two large servings) each day to usually having one or two small meals with no interest in a second serving at dinnertime (which is quite a change for me).  My soft drink consumption seems to have halved, with a large mug of water becoming more appealing for some reason.
"'Impossible' is not a scientific term."  - Vanna Bonta

porkypine

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2006, 08:17:44 AM »

Bonnie,

I assume you read the book or paper, so you know that the oil or sugar water is only one component of a three-proned approach based on experiments with lab rats and humans. The other two pieces are "Eat new foods" and "Vary the flavor of foods eaten repeatedly." Several people have mentioned success with the crazy spicing method - have you tried that (flavor)? Also, it seems like your meals are not new foods to you, and are somewhat repetitive. Repetition is a problem that contributes to fat. Repetition occurs not just from the meal but form eating pre-packaged foods like Lean Cuisine (see his section on supermarket foods) which are designed by food companies to be identical.

I suggest you re-read the book or paper more closely and see if you can incorporate other elements of the theory for better reults.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 05:15:06 AM by porkypine »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18