Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Have you changed your eating habits?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Have you changed your eating habits?  (Read 67842 times)

Weston

Re: Have you changed your eating habits?
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2006, 03:57:13 PM »

Well I'm reading this thread right after weighing myself and discovering that after 15 days I have dropped 8 pounds. Five of those pounds were in the last seven days when I have really felt the appetite suppresion kick in.

So I get off the scale and read this thread and all I can think of is a taped lecture given by a very well known small business consultant and author that I listened to many years ago.

In this lecture (he also mentions it in his book) he talks about how he had consulted with a retail store several years before. The salespeople in that store (like most retail salespeople) would approach browsers and say " Can I help you?" The consultant's sole change  in that store was to insist  that the salespeople approach browsers with a new question "Have you been here before?"

As a result of that one small change in question the store's sales and profits skyrocketed to an enormous degree.

After telling this story the speaker  said to the audience "Do you know why this worked?" he paused and then shouted "Who the hell cares. It worked!"

My point being. I don't know if the scientific explanation for this diet is sound. I don't know if it worked because of  a placebo effect or  a grand diabolical  experiment by some sort of pyschological mastermind. For me at least it works!

Petra

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2006, 04:08:28 PM »

<i>Let's see you are "39, 5'5" and about 230 pounds," and you have other life-threathening health issues. And yet you balk at swallowing a little oil and you attack the integrity of the scientist and his fellow-subjects in this plan.

Do you really want to lose weight? I don't mean to be rude, but are you simply happier to stay as you are?</i>

This is why people like the OP maybe so rude, suspicious, defensive, or all. The preceding is a judgmental statement based on assumptions that have no business making and this fat people get all through the day. You see fat and you judge. First is the idea that beczuse YOU can drink the oil then no reason why person B can't. You then decide person B has a bad attitude or a deep phychological problem. I am fat too and sick sick SICK of this. I cant swallow whipped cream and things like that texture. It just wont go down. If seth next discovers whipped cream as a weighloss tool will you ask me if I really wanted to be thin so why don't i change? Then a tone suggestive that the numbers of bonnies weight (which was brave of her to give) entitle you to make certain conclusions. Unlike performing cheap analysis on the OP why not suggest gelcaps with oil or something? I think sometimes theres a mentality of achieveing thinness and deserving it so you have to suffer. Not because maybe it TAKES suffering but so that you EARN it. You like OWE the suffering on behalf of the guys who can't lose the weight.

The idea that SLD is stuff maybe untrue but hardly is this a strange reaction when u hear what it is. It's natural given all we "know" about weight. And all the people on the forum are not proof that it works. It is unscientific, a skewed pool. After the poster got flamed I doubt anyone will ever bother to post that it failed for them.

Can I talk about this blaming the victim. I had Nutrisystem for two months. I tortured myself with the boring food, constantly having to resist what I wanted and had the habit of, constant all day control. Their web-page keeps what you eat and exercise. I only lost 2 pound. Thats a pound a month. I kept the rules. But when I complained I was just called lying. (Lying to MYSELF). Because it HAS to work. If it didn't work that can't be proof that it didn't work, it's proof that I didn't do it right. So the logic is it can never be proved not to work even if it doesn.t No, it is the fat persons fault because of their DEEP PROBLEMS.

[Now I bet it didn't work because repetition but on the other hand I KNOW I limited the calories so why didn't I lose weight as I was struggling miserably but successfully for the 2 months? It didn't last but two months verylow calories should have done more than it did. It makes sense so I must be eating Sachertorte behind the diets back.]

I bet the poster bonnie you all hate had something like this. She says she had snacks but nothing else bad. Has asthma but can exercise if not to heavy like running. Why will she tell you her big weight for everyone to comment on but lie on her eating?

Denise

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2006, 09:37:32 PM »

First is the idea that beczuse YOU can drink the oil then no reason why person B can't.

There are many posts of trying to find out a way for people to do this.  Instead of joining in and brainstorming she chose to call it snake oil and quit.  I'm not going to judge her anymore, but I hope no one else does what she did.  I hope that we all work together to figure out how to make it work for everyone.  It takes self-experimentation--which is how this very strange but useful idea was born.  In the spirit of self-experimentation, I hope people for whom it doesn't work immediately stick with us and try to tweak and then be of help to people after them.  Like Dee has said she will do.  (Thanks Dee!)  Because I want everyone to feel this feeling of freedom.  This feeling of Shangri-La.

tekayla

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2006, 09:57:27 PM »

I agree wholeheartedly Denise, we all need to stick together!! This feeling of freedom and control is new to a lot of us and while I wish everyone could experience it for themselves it doesn't seem to be so. Maybe if we all work together we can figure out how to tweak things as you say, so it works for more people. This forum is wonderful and supportive I truly feel for the people that are struggling but I believe "You don't fail until you stop trying" This is for all the Bonnie's out there.

Cheers,Kayla
When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.
Harriet Beecher Stowe

CVgirl

« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2006, 08:29:59 AM »

When I hear people saying they can't take the oil, it's too gross, I'm just boggled.  I'd cut off an arm to be thin.  Oil is so not a problem when it brings a loss of appetite this startling.  (I say as I stare in disinterest and my half-eaten sandwich that's going in the fridge to probably rot.)

People are posting methods of how to take it without it being so gross.  I just chug it down, because after the very first day, I finally for once in my life had real hope.  Not the "I've been burned before but I'll try anything" hope.

To play Devils' advocate so bear with me a minute I'm not really saying the following: If you would cut off an arm to be thin, then why aren't you thin already? If you were that determined and really wanted it, why weren't the previous available measure enough for you? Couldn't you simply cut your calories? Sure, the set point would have kicked in and made you very hungry and miserable, but if you wanted it that bad, why not just ignore the hunger?

Of course the answer is that, for whatever reason, you either didn't or simply couldn't. So if someone says they can't drink oil why not believe them? For you it apparently seemed promising after day one and that made it bearable. Bonnie obviously did not experience that so why do you compare yourself with her.

That analysis I just did is 100% as valid as the analysis on Bonnie that was done by you and that other person (who says she must not really want to be thin. Petra was a little incoherent (maybe a language barrier or writing to fast and angry) but she is right about the judgement and circular logic.

Every person on this board is probably trying to lose weight and yet, and yet... some fall in the common societal pattern of judgement.

I would be much happier hearing "sorry it doesn't work for everyone" rather than dissecting Bonnie's personal failings and attitude to find something to blame. But of course, her failure must be her own fault, because it the plan works inconsistently then that takes away the hope for some.

mjohnson121

« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2006, 08:37:05 AM »

Good point CVGirl. I think there was certainly an over-reaction to Bonnie's comments. However, I must point out that she raised the ire of many by calling the the diet "snake oil." (maybe she meant it as a humorous pun?? :)

Just as you say some should have said "it's ok, the diet doesn't work for everyone," (which I agree with) Bonnie should have had the good graces to say the same, "I guess it doesn't work for me." And leave it at that.

-Mark

GilbertZ

• DiamondRing.com
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2006, 08:45:32 AM »

I just wanted to say Welcome to our new guests CVGirl and Petra.

DirkVA

« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2006, 09:12:15 AM »

CVgirl: I'm afraid I have to disagree with your "analysis."

The reason she hadn't lost weight before despite being willing to "cut off an arm" was because of her set point. The set point is imperious and controls one's weight. It is not just a bad attitude.

Denise

« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2006, 10:23:48 AM »

Jenny Craig.  Weight Watchers.  NutriSystem.  Cabbage soup.  Low carb (that one did work great till it didn't).

I tried all of them far longer than a week or two, and each time I gained over what I had lost.  I kept upping my set point I guess.

renee

« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2006, 11:21:41 AM »

i just came across this site.  I am very excited to try this.  I really need to know what kind of oil do I need to buy exactly.  I have read different things, but I want to be sure.  Could someone help me please :?:

CVgirl

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2006, 04:37:00 PM »

CVgirl: I'm afraid I have to disagree with your "analysis."

The reason she hadn't lost weight before despite being willing to "cut off an arm" was because of her set point. The set point is imperious and controls one's weight. It is not just a bad attitude.

You and I agree. I was playing Devil's advocate. People conclude certain things about an obesity suffer's character because nobody believes in the set point. How many doctors have discourage thyroid testing because it's just the person looking for absolution? I paid for my own. But having experienced the set point herself and probably that judgement from others  ("I would cut off my arm to be thin") the two writers went ahead and made a similar judgement about the snake oil commenter especially after she made highly detailed, highly personal revelations. She should just chug the oil if she wants it bad enough. Wanting it bad enough is proven not to work. I'm not trying to really criticize but we are creatures of habits.

(BTW pet peeve: the idea that nice plus size clothing is bad because it de-stigmatizes obesity? But I digress.)

Not being critical of you but it sometimes is hard to see attidude, irony, etc. in email.

I think it was not the point of her email but Petra's report on Nutrasystem (which is a packaged foods plan) is supportive of Seth's theory. Each serving of lasagna or whatever is probably exactly the same.

GilbertZ

• DiamondRing.com
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2006, 05:28:50 PM »

Petra, CVGirl,

Thank you for clarifying each other and Bonnie's position. Is Petra still here?

Do either of you think coming to someone's forum and calling him a snake oil salesman is rude?

Denise

« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2006, 07:21:49 PM »

She should just chug the oil if she wants it bad enough.

Nope, she should try asking for suggestions of how to get it down.  Someone has been posting about capsules.  There's a long thread on how to take it painlessly.  It's not that she should chug it.  She should ask for help instead of immediately condemning it as snake oil.  And she should never, ever audition for Fear Factor or Survivor.   :lol:

patsi

« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2006, 11:04:02 AM »

Renee,
Welcome I didn't see any responce to your message so if there was sorry. I use Bertolli Extra Light Olive Oil and you can use Canola Oil. I take 1 TBS. one hour after breakfast and 1 TBS. mid afternoon. hope this helps.
patsi

CVgirl

« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2006, 09:39:46 AM »

I would also not be a phenomenally great survivor contestant. The gross food challenge would knock me out on day one. And I don't drink oil, I am springing for the capsules, a mixture of flax, borage, and fish oil which is very food for you. Mixed with sugar (not at the same time) Yeah, expensive given that ALDI sells canola oil for pennies and ounce. But doesn't gross me out.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18