Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Pavlovian Effect and the Sense of Smell

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pavlovian Effect and the Sense of Smell  (Read 4168 times)

falconcy

Pavlovian Effect and the Sense of Smell
« on: February 20, 2007, 04:56:59 AM »

This is really weird, but it is something I experienced earlier today and I think Seth may either be aware of it or it could be an area for further research. What happened could be easily reproduced.

I was waking up, the kind of dreamy state, I believe it was an alpha state. My other half was in the kitchen cooking bacon for the youngest to eat. The smell of the bacon was pretty pronounced, nothing new with that, we all know the SLD can at times effect your sense of smell. What was really weird was that I experienced the same effects that I would normally feel had I actually eaten the bacon.

Imagine the bacon being a bit salty and the taste it leaves in your mouth, complete with the dry and thirsty feeling, well that is what I actually felt. The thing is, I had not eaten any bacon, this was on a purely mental level.

What is weird here is the fact that the sense of smell seemed to trigger what seemed like a Pavlovian Effect. This seems to shine some light into what Seth has been saying about the effect of smell and it's effect on us, particularly in relation to flavorless calories.

I would be interested to hear Seth's comments about this.

falconcy

Re: Pavlovian Effect and the Sense of Smell
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 02:21:07 PM »

This happened again today, every time I smell bacon cooking, I get a sensation in my mouth like I had just eaten it. This is really weird.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18