Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Have you changed your eating habits?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Have you changed your eating habits?  (Read 67387 times)

taymac

Have you changed your eating habits?
« on: May 04, 2006, 12:16:34 PM »

I've been on the diet for three days now and decided to check my weight today - down 3 lbs. I'm not really surprised at that part -early diet success. What is surprising is that I haven't changed ANYTHING including dessert last night - except that I take the oil 2x daily. 

However ... I went to lunch today with a friend, ate half a Greek salad (unbelievable!!), mentioned to the waitress they should cut their portion sizes down and came home feeling uncomfortable, almost ill. Right now I don't think I could face food in any shape or form - maybe tomorrow.  Maybe I'm just coming down with something.

When those of you who have been at this a little longer than us newbies got into the program for a while and you say your appetite diminished, do you mean you couldn't face food? I think I'm just eating by the clock, from habit - not checking with my hunger signals. This is a little disconcerting for me. When I read last night about some folks having one large meal a day and several small snacks I almost laughed - I'd never be able to do that. Now I'm really contemplating it.

This is new territory for me - any insights would be appreciated.

dred

Re: Have you changed your eating habits?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 03:02:10 PM »

My wife and I are both on the diet. My eating interest went pretty much to zero from the first spoon of canola. I felt exactly the same way as you did -- no way I would eat just a piece of fruit and one meal. Then I found myself looking down at a half plate of pasta thinking, "do I really eat this much?" Last night I took my daughter for pizza and we both ate one piece. It is surreal.

The influence on my wife has been much more mixed.

mimir

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 04:40:11 PM »

Today was my fourth day on the diet, and I wish I could say that my appetite had disappeared. It has diminished, but I do still get hungry. In fact, last night I took 2 tbsp. of oil for the first time (up till then I had been taking the sugar in mid morning and mid afternoon). Anyway, within an hour of taking the oil last night I was hungry. I hadn't been hungry at night at all when I took the sugar in the afternoon. So I don't know what to make of it. I think I'll stick to the sugar as much as I can, and only take the oil when I won't be able to get to a bathroom.

Even with the sugar in mid morning and afternoon, though, I am getting hungry, but not to the point where I feel like I'm going to pass out if I don't eat, which is what used to happen. I've been able to wait until normal meal times to eat without any trouble.

So far I've lost 4 pounds in 4 days, and have only cut out between meal snacks. Not bad, I'd say.

GCHM

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 06:01:17 AM »

mimir,

it took me a few days to figure out what times taking the oil working best for me.  i haven't really changed the way i eat, but i am now automatically choosing healthier and more nutritious foods when i am hungry...good luck

gchm

jzkc

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 10:42:14 AM »

My appetite has been cut so dramatically that I find myself being very careful to choose highly nutritious foods when I do eat because I know I won't feel like eating much.  I'm also being careful to get at least 1200 calories in a day (including the oil calories).  I am just drop-jawed at how well this is working for me.  My work schedule and meal schedule tends to be very erratic, so I have not established any kind of schedule for getting my 3 T. of oil in, but it's been very easy to find that two-hour window between flavors at least twice a day.  I started May 1.  Late-night, before-bed snacking for the past three or four days has been nonexistent. 

Makaren

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 11:33:39 PM »

This is only my second day on the diet and the first day with the really correct products.  I have to say I'm pleased with my body's reaction.  The oil is more effective than the sugar water but I do use both -- the oil in the morning and the sugar water in the afternoon or evening.  What I can say is that my appetite is definitely effected.  It's not that I'm not hungry -- it's that I don't want to eat.  There is a subtle difference.  I also find that when I can quiet the food noise in my head, I tend to make better food choices.  I did a spot check of my calories and ended up at about 1500 for the day.  I'm well aware that all of my reactions could be the honeymoon blush of a new diet regime.  Only time will tell.  At least this is easy and cheap.

Makaren

Allison717

• Here goes nuthin'...
    • Oh, for the love of God...
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006, 06:41:49 AM »

I also find that when I can quiet the food noise in my head, I tend to make better food choices.

This is definitely true for me.  I feel a sense of freedom that comes from not having my day centered around what I get to eat. 

I recently (early April) did a 9-day cleansing program with Isagenix, and I felt the same mental freedom then -- but it was because my eating was planned for me, not because I was making better choices by default.  Besides that, I was HUNGRY all the time.

sweetie

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 09:10:21 AM »

I am finding the biggest change for me is having the element of CHOICE.  My eating felt so out of control before, but now I can actually make thought out choices about when and what and how much to eat.  So, my eating habits have gone from chaotic to quite civilized!

Stephen M (Ethesis)

• http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
    • http://ethesis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 06:59:53 PM »

I changed, but mostly to make sure I got enough protien in my diet now that I don't feel like eating.  I've blogged about what I eat at http://ethesis.blogspot.com/

auntialias

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 07:25:38 PM »

I've reported my initial findings (for what, 2 days? 3 days?) in this thread (report your progress).

Have been taking 1 - 1.5T oil one time per day (I think I'll increase it to 2x/day, starting later on tonight). I've noticed that I get full on smaller amounts of food. Or, at least, I find it easy to stop and say, "I'm done."

My usual live-and-work-at-home habit has been to brew a pot of coffee (half caf/half decaf), which I pour into thermos and then drink for most of duration of morning. I, er, think I'm going to have to change that, if I'm to get in the 2-hours-nuthin'-but-water (and oil) period in the a.m. Maybe will brew smaller pot, so as to run out faster.

But I like the fullness awareness, and the option of choosing to prepare ridiculously wonderful food, but in small portions that I otherwise wouldn't make before (home made pastrami melt: half-a-sandwich on basic/small sized bread + bowl of salad: greens/gorgonzola crumbles/toasted sliced almonds/olive oil & balsamic). Killer! All the flavor, that great crunchy texture, feeling immediately satisfied -- in that I choose to stop right now, and not make another sandwich, and that is totally okay by me, and then, not too long after, feeling full. This much smaller portion is going a longer way.

Lola

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 11:11:19 AM »

By the way, Seth Roberts is a psychologist.  Do ya'll ever get the feeling we might all be rats in some other kind of human behavior experiement?  Like the role of suggestion in weight loss, or something about consumer behavior?   :lol:

Will

• Today is a good day to diet.
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 11:30:32 AM »

Lola - This isn't some weird experiment.  Seth is a psychologist, not a con artist.  I have actually seen this concern once or twice on the boards (Seth has responded to some of them himself), and I just don't get it.  I realize people don't want to be used (for an experiment or anything else), but I just don't get the fear that people have.  Most people here have tried lots of different diets, without success, what difference would one more make?   :roll:

It is cheap, easy and seems to work with your body instead of against it.  It works, for many people at least.  It is possible that Seth's explanation of why it works is wrong, but I am pretty sure many people don't really care that much about the science behind it, as long as it works for them.  If it doesn't work for you then it will be added to the list of "Diets that didn't work".  If it does work, do you really care if it is some strange psychological trick?  Would it bother you if a hypnotist got you to lose weight?
I wouldn't care if the scale said 400 lbs, if I looked like Brad Pitt.

Lola

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 12:02:05 PM »

Thanks for the response, Will.  I haven't seen those other posts that you refered to, but I would have liked to.

I wasn't really expressing fear.  It was more of a humorous observation, like, "wouldn't it be funny. . ."  I mean, here we are, all downing oil and sugar, two of the main things dieters generally avoid.  I'm sure you've heard of human behavior experiments in which participants are mislead in the purpose of said experiement.

Anyway, I am generally pretty skeptical, but I am willing to give this a shot (of oil, 2x a day :roll:). Sorry. :oops:  I'll try to behave. 

Will

• Today is a good day to diet.
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 03:09:10 PM »

Lola - I apologize if it seemed like I was attacking you.  I just find the idea that Seth is some great psychological trickster to be a weird fixation some people have.  I guess it annoys me because it is one of the first things my friends suggested when I mentioned the diet, "Oh, it is just some psychology experiment...."  I think that is a way for people to dismiss the ideas behind the diet without consideration.  I hear the same thing all the time in politics "oh s/he is a conservative/liberal you can't believe what they say."  I realize that is probably not what you meant, I was responding more to the wider idea rather than just your comment.

FWIW - I don't know Seth and haven't even finished the whole book yet.  I am only on day 2 of the diet.  It seems to be working for me so far, although I am still adjusting to the strange feelings and awkwardness of swallowing tablespoons of oil... :?
I wouldn't care if the scale said 400 lbs, if I looked like Brad Pitt.

cjewell

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 04:59:17 PM »

I think most of us have thought briefly that this is a joke, Lola. I did for a few minutes, then I thought of all the other diets I've been on that just made me hungry and cranky and hopeful and how I just couldn't do that ONE MORE TIME!! Then, I thought the oil is wrong, it's too many calories-- it's FAT. Then I thought about all the times I ate a balance bar when I was starving on some diet and how that bar is basically the same amount of calories and it NEVER made me lose my appetite for longer then say 30 minutes. I was just as motivated then as now to lose weight. This is working for me as of right now. It is doing everything Seth and other said it would so I'm sticking until it doesn't. Let the miracle continue!!
Cindy
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18