Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Frosting?

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Frosting?  (Read 10920 times)

terio

Frosting?
« on: June 25, 2006, 12:42:24 PM »

I am new here and after reading the boards for couple of days I had an idea that I thought I'd run by you.  How about mixing plain vegetable shortening with powdered sugar to create a sort of frosting?  It would combine fat with sugar and could be eaten easily.  I guess the major drawback is that solid vegetable shortening is not as healthy as olive or canola oil, but the stuff is pretty darn tasteless. 

Seth Roberts

• Administrator
Re: Frosting?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 01:57:00 PM »

My guess is that would work. Especially if you made little balls of it and swallowed it a la Beneke -- so that it barely touched your mouth. With water, for example.

yogagirl

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 02:24:47 PM »

Just be mindful of vegetable shortening. In order to make it solid at room temperture, it maybe hydrogenated. Any form of oil that has been changed like this has been shown to have negative health benefits. Unlike ELOO or other oils. If you can find a brand that has not been hydrogenated let me know!

frenata

• mustela frenata
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 03:35:36 PM »

Wouldn't that be...you know....really delicious? That's basically the traditional birthday cake frosting of long ago. I used to be a serious frostaholic as a kid. One year, I refused to have guests to my birthday party, so I could eat all the cake myself. When I was in High School, they came out with cake frosting in a can. Oh, man, the frosting habit I developed out of THAT. I never really got over it, but they make frosting differently now, and it doesn't taste the same.

Oh, man, if there were a way to lose weight eating traditional cake frosting, I would worship you as a god.
Running weight tally:

jzkc

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 05:25:09 PM »

Oh, man, if there were a way to lose weight eating traditional cake frosting, I would worship you as a god.

LOL at this one, but, oh, I feel the same way!!  Can't tell you how many cans of frosting I bought that never made their way onto a cake :roll:

terio

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 05:47:25 PM »

Well I just made my first batch of this stuff.  I used 1 tablespoon plain Crisco to 1 tablespoon powdered sugar.  It mixed up easily and tastes okay.  Not as good as bakery cake frosting that has vanilla and other ingredients in it, but better than sucking on a sugar cube, IMO.  Another option I thought of is Royal icing - the hard frosting that they make flowers on wedding cakes out of.  It is made of egg whites (or dried egg white powder) and powdered sugar.  It hardens up, so it would be more like the sugar cubes, but I think maybe a bit more palatable.  I thought maybe the shortening would be better as far as slowing down the digestion of the sugar to avoid a sugar spike.  Now if only I could find a healthy shortening!

That wouldn't be necessary, but tithing would be nice :D
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 07:59:59 PM by terio »

frenata

• mustela frenata
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 01:42:02 AM »

Crisco is the stuff of traditional cake frosting (well, 20th C cake frosting), but if you buy into the hydrogenated thing (and I do) it's serious bad mojo. I wonder if you'd be better off with -- don't laugh -- lard? That must be what they used for white cake frosting before Crisco came along in the teens.

I should point out, I was thin in my frosting-eating days. I suspect being 15 had something to do with it.
Running weight tally:

terio

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 07:53:02 AM »

I was just reading a thread here on coconut oil:  http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=237.0, and apparently it is solid at room temperature.  Sounds like it might be a better choice than Crisco for my "frosting".

Jenn

• **~Feeling more ZEN every day~**
    • come listen to some of our tunes on myspace
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 08:49:00 AM »

Latest studies in canada have shown that ingesting more than 5 g of trans fat a day increases heart attack risk by 100%  Stay away from vegetable shortening, it is hydrogenated and that qualifies as trans.  Don't take chances with your heart for making the tasteless calories more fun. 
  Take your oil in a shot glass and chase it with water.  It is not bad at all that way, and surely not a heart disease risk.
  That is my 2 cents worth anyway.
  Good luck
Jennifer

You know, Seth Roberts should win the Nobel Prize for his self experimentation discovery.  Way to go Seth!
Drinking anything that feels good at the moment, not worrying about my body and feeling very, very good about that!
I am at a healthy weight and get slimmer/healthier every day!

frenata

• mustela frenata
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 09:46:03 AM »

I was just reading a thread here on coconut oil:  http://boards.sethroberts.net/index.php?topic=237.0, and apparently it is solid at room temperature.  Sounds like it might be a better choice than Crisco for my "frosting".

Worth the experiment. Be careful to get a variety someone on that thread recommends as tasteless, though. I ordered a jar of it after reading that thread, and the stuff I got was SERIOUSLY tasty. I've never been a big fan of coconut, but I love this. I just can't figure out what to do with it. It's too flavorful for SLD, and it's too sweet for frying. It's also marginally solid at room temperature: on a warm day, it's quite liquid.
Running weight tally:

terio

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 11:49:08 AM »

I just bought some Spectrum 100% Organic Expeller Pressed Naturally Refined Coconut Oil  http://www.spectrumorganics.com/index.php?id=87    It doesn't have any smell to it, so I'll see how it works.  It was pretty spendy stuff - over $7 for 14 oz.  I still need to order the book, to fine tune how much I need to use.  I only need to lose about 10 - 15 lbs.  I lost 5 lbs recently with the South Beach Diet, but hit a plateau with that.  I have gained about 15 lbs over the last 5 years, so if I lose those 10 lbs  I will be back at the weight I was when I wanted to lose 5 lbs. :lol:

terio

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 08:17:37 PM »

I made some "frosting" with the coconut oil.  The texture is much better than the Crisco, and I was able to reduce the amount of sugar by half.  With the Crisco I had to do equal parts sugar to shortening to get rid of the waxy feeling of the Crisco.  The coconut oil has a much lighter texture.  I used .5 cup of coconut oil and .25 cup of sugar, but when I was done mixing I had only .5 cup of the mixture, so I'm not exactly sure how to calculate the calories.  I'm going to keep it in the refrigerator and make little balls out of it per Seth's suggestion.  It really is quite tasty though, and I can't wait to see if I have good results.

akhdar

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 08:39:25 PM »

It sounds amazing! I can't do this, though, as I would be tempted to EAT the little coconut balls!

terio

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2006, 09:42:34 PM »

I don't see why it would make any difference if you did eat them.  They are just made out of oil and sugar, and pretty flavorless.  This coconut oil I bought doesn't have a coconutty taste at all.

Lyn

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2006, 01:55:31 PM »

OK, how about this. Pour canola or other tasteless oil into a tupperware or other container and then put it in the fridge to firm up and then make the powdered sugar/oil mixture. Would that work?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18