Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/aleche35/boards.sethroberts.net/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Girljedi's bouncy road down the hill.....

sethroberts.net forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please read The End Game: Shutting Down the Forums in the "News, Polls, Announcements" subforum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 27   Go Down

Author Topic: Girljedi's bouncy road down the hill.....  (Read 64094 times)

saggi girl

Re: Girljedi's tracking data
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2006, 10:34:34 AM »

Awww, that is so sweet.  Your daughter is probably right.  From what I hear, people on SLD often lose inches around the waist even though the scale might not show a great amount of weight loss. 

girljedi

• "Do or do not; there is no try...."
Re: 7/21 - one month for Girljedi & a loss!
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2006, 10:26:07 AM »

Today I celebrate my 1 month anniversary on SLD.  When I weighed myself this morning - 222!  That makes 3 pounds lost in one month.  I join Pinkmug in the slow loser category, but hey! a loss is a loss, no matter what size (paraphrasing Horton Hears a Who by Dr. Seuss).

I varied my oil dosages this week just to be perverse, I guess. Here's my current times & dosages:

6 am - 1 TBL ELOO
10:00 pm - 1 TBL ELOO

I decided to reduce my oil intake from 4 TBL to 2 TBL just to see if I noticed a difference in appetite suppression and fullness after meals.  I must say there is not a great deal of difference for me.  Since I haven't taken the time yet to look at calorie intake, 2 TBL may be enough oil.  We'll see...

I leave for vacation tomorrow, so I will be unable to access the internet for a week!  I will have forum withdrawal!!  I plan to continue taking 2 TBL of oil while on vacation...but I usually don't gain while on vacation because I'm more active.  (I sit a lot in my line of work.)

Slow and steady wins the race, but you guys make SLD so much fun!

frenata

• mustela frenata
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2006, 10:31:50 AM »

Oooo! Have a great vacation!
Running weight tally:

saggi girl

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2006, 10:55:51 AM »

Congrats on your loss.  Just think of those 3 pounds as the beginning. The best is yet to come.  Hope you have fun on your vacation.

LaLaLouise

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2006, 07:19:24 AM »

Yea for you!  Any loss is good.  Congratulations for having the right attitude (patient, determined).  I'm trying to cultivate that, and hearing about your progress helps.

Have a good vacation!

girljedi

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2006, 01:15:38 PM »

Back from vacation today!!  It feels good to be home!

Got on the scale today since I didn't have access to one on vacation - I held the course!  No loss, no gain!  (I didn't exactly refrain fron unnecessary eating, either.)

My TOM began today (finally) so that little hurdle will be over in a few days.  Then I can get the water retention issues over with and see if I've lost any more weight.

Took my 2 TBL of ELOO every day on vacation and walked 2 miles three of my vacation days.

So,  I feel good about how I handled vacation (SLD-wise) and will really get things back on track tomorrow.

FYI - I read an interesting book by Martina Navratilova called "Shape Your Self."  She has some helpful ideas about food, exercise and weight-control.  I recommend it as a helpful book for some ideas to supplement SLD.

Glad to be back at the U.  I feel like it's been months since I last posted.....I really did have withdrawal...  :lol:

girljedi

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2006, 01:57:28 PM »

Seth,

Can you move me to the 4 weeks & more list?

Thanks!!

GJ

bigbaddar

Re: Girljedi's data (start date 6/21/06)
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2006, 05:10:37 AM »

Kids are great. They say the best things.  I gave birth to my daughter at 203 lbs 20 years ago.  She has never known me to be any lighter.  I can't wait to see her in a few months. What will she say? My son, on the other hand, was born when I was much lighter at 140 lbs. He has memories of me being skinny.

Reached my original goal of 200 lbs from 235....Onto a 2nd goal of 185!

girljedi

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2006, 10:13:32 AM »

My son, who is 11, asked me last week why I wanted to lose weight.  I explained about the health pitfalls (hypertension, heart disease, diabetes, stroke, high cholesterol) that await me if I don't lose weight now.  He said he didn't want me to be different and he didn't think I was fat.

I said, "Maybe I'm not fat in your eyes, but I do need to weigh less that I do right now."

He then asked how much weight I thought I needed to lose and we had a discussion about weight and health and popular culture which was good for both of us.  I said I don't want to be too skinny (for me, less than 150) because it is too much work to maintain, but I wanted to lose enough weight to ensure a healthier future for me.  My son makes (for the most part) healthy food choices and has stopped drinking sodas because "they're not healthy for you, Mom!"

He is a very "deep" kid and always has been.  I say he is an old soul in a young body.

My eight year-old daughter, on the other hand, lives on starchy carbohydrates, eats broccoli only under duress and eats virtually no fruit.  We have had multiple lectures/conversations about her eating habits and her health.  Women on both sides of the family tend to be short and heavy-set, so I am concerned about her future.  When I serve a meal she doesn't like, she will make herself a sandwich or comb the fridge for leftover pasta or rice.  Any suggestions on how to handle this picky, unhealthy eater????

This year in school she will have a good introduction to nutrition and learn how to read a nutrition facts label.  I am interested in seeing how she reacts to this information...

On the SLD side of things...

I have been eating more chocolate, but not really "craving" it, just leftover vacation mentality.  I was REALLY HUNGRY for dinner last night and ate more than I have in a while and didn't feel stuffed afterward.  As a consequence, I took 2 TBL of ELOO at bedtime last night, but still took only 1 TBL this morning.  I'll keep doing that for several days to see if the appetite suppression jumps back up.  I'm also thinking about switching to the walnut oil, since the Omega 3s are better.

I know I need to work on drinking more water.  I have a bad habit of not drinking anything during the day (not even with meals) and then drinking several cups of water at bedtime.  I need to spread out my water consumption during the day.  I've been trying to remember to fill up my cup when I get up to walk around, but I haven't always carried it out with me.  I need a good reminder posted somewhere I can see it when I walk around....I'll have to think of a good place.

Sorry about this meandering post!  I have brain-fog from the heat!

Walking in the heat (76 degrees at 6:30 this morning; 96 at 1:00 pm) is not fun!  I'll be glad when this hot airmass moves out to sea in a few days and we cool down to our normal summer temps in the high 80s.

saggi girl

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2006, 12:27:54 PM »

When I serve a meal she doesn't like, she will make herself a sandwich or comb the fridge for leftover pasta or rice.  Any suggestions on how to handle this picky, unhealthy eater????

When my kids were that age, I kept a No-Nonsense, No-Negotiating policy when it came to dinners.  They either ate what was prepared, or they went hungry.  No snacks, no alternative meals, and especially, no sweets, unless they ate a reasonable amount of whatever was served for dinner.  I had no patience for power struggles about food.  The rules were simple, and the kids knew what was expected of them.  I must say, it worked pretty well.  It does require nerves of steel on the part of the parents, and both parents must agree to this policy, otherwise it won't work.

A friend of mine had the same policy, with the added rule that if the word "Yuck" was uttered at the dinner table, the offending party was immediately sent into Time Out for being rude.

Good luck!

Ann H

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2006, 09:19:53 PM »

Your son sounds wonderful, girljedi! And my little guy (turning 4 in a week) is just the same! Aren't we blessed to have such friends in our children?

I think SaggiGirl just nailed what seems to be the general best advice.

There are some other things you could try. Have you seen Jamie's School Dinners, the series about when Jamie Oliver (passionate, down-to-earth young British cook) tries to improve how British schoolkids eat? That series crucially influenced me and my little guy. Jamie's got a website with tips here http://www.feedmebetter.com/, and you can order his DVD series there (Or maybe your library has it or could be talked into acquiring it).

Cheers,  Ann H

girljedi

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2006, 09:32:01 AM »

Thanks, Ann H, I'll check on that.

Looks like its time for another family meeting.... :(

girljedi

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2006, 11:38:43 AM »

Six weeks and counting on SLD....still holding at 222 lbs.

I upped my oil intake from 2 TBL to 3 and now to 4 TBL of ELOO like when I started.  I'm still taking it at rising and at bedtime.  Still walking, but with the recent heat on the east coast, not every morning because the air quality's been horrible!.  Last week and this I have noticed a change in sleep, so I'm curious to see if the increase in ELOO will affect the sleep pattern.   (I'm starting my 3rd bottle of ELOO.)

Still not craving chocolate/sweets, which has always been my problem, BUT this week I really was hungry for dinner daily and ate more than I have in a week or two.

Had some blood sugar drops this week for the first time on SLD.

Next week should be a "clean" week - no TOM issues and a solid week back on 4 Tbl.  I'm going to order some walnut oil (no local source), and try my luck with that.  I need to increase my water, but I've already posted about that earlier.

Concerned about what Frenata, Jenn, and others are posting about eating less but weight increasing or remaining the same.  Haven't wanted to jump in on that thread becasue I have so little experience on SLD (six weeks) and haven't been a big loser myself (3 lbs.), even though I fit the "demographic" for a steady weight loss (weigh over 225 lbs. at start and have over 50 lbs to lose).

I know there were some posts when I first signed up for the forum about we really shouldn't be eating less than 800-900 calories a day.   Starvation mode kicks in below that, I think, and for women the effect may be a gain, since our bodies store/conserve fat for reproduction and milk production after birth.  Again, I'm not saying that's what the problem is...just some thoughts.  I really haven't researched or have personal experience with long-term low carolic intake.  The Calorie Reduction people advocate a caloric intake of around 1500-1800 a day, I think, but I'm writing this from memory and certainly don't consider myself an expert on CRON by any means!

Anyway, some interesting stuff happening on the forums this week and some cause for thought and research by us all.  Seem's like we're writing a book about weight loss/weight control all on our own, and who knows what the long-term results will be...

Like Stephen M said in one of his posts - we'll know more after November, when the 12 month SLD stats start showing up.

BTW, has anyone still active on the forums been on SLD for 8 months or more besides Stephen M?  Just curious!

Ann H

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2006, 10:43:33 PM »

I have. I started before him; back in Sept 05.

I lost 20 pounds very quickly, then hit a stall waaay back in last Dec or so (before the book was out and anyone had figured out what to do with stalls). Didn't mind the stall; was comfy at my new weight and, since I'm breastfeeding and all my siblings have recently tested positive for osteopenia or osteoporosis (I haven't yet been tested), was happy to give my body a break from losing for a while.

Then I got a time-consuming consulting project on top of mommy-ing, and have regained about 8 pounds since end March due to having to stay up late, eat for energy, etc. I'm just maintaining this 8 pound gain (or whittling away what I feasibly can) until my project is up the end of this month or early Sept or so. Then I'll go back on the diet more hardcore: more flavorless calories, instead of just enough to maintain weight, get enough sleep so my body can get the fat off again, etc.

Cheers,
Ann H

girljedi

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2006, 01:31:50 PM »

Just to update the sleep thing....

Since I've switched back to 4 TBL of ELOO (2 TBL at waking, 2 TBL at bedtime), I have returned to the solid sleep with somewhat bizarre dreams I had when I first started SLD.  Although with the dreaming....a dream analyst would have fun with my dreams even before SLD.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 27   Go Up

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18